Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Rumble-C kits available.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charger-battery.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	321637It is a rudder only RC BG for B4-2 or C6-3 motors. There is an article on it in the May/June Sport Rocketry for 2017.

I don't use the SpektClick image for larger version. 

Name:	bee.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	321635rum "brick" radio, but the Turnigy 5X, with the rcvr board out of the case, and put on a plate with an indoor flier tiny servo. Radio system is $25, servo $4.50, battery $2, charger $10. Kit price is $25, without radio eqpt. Contact

xolvejohn
    @
    gmail.com

Here is some intro data and pics:
    If building kit for free flight use (no radio control), it is best to fly with B4-2, as use of C6-3 will be hard to recover, especially in ANY wind. Trim to circle.

If building kit for radio control, you will also need the following items:

-Turnigy 5X radio system (includes rcvr) Hobbyking.com 9331000002-0

-HK linear servo “ “ HK3D-1.7L or 1.7R

-Turnigy lithium cell “ “ N160.1S.25

-E-Flite USB charger E-Flite EFLC1008 (various venders)

Building the radio module requires fine soldering skills, if unable to do, contact me for possible availability of pre-built radio module.

Background

In 1969, Bob Singer designed the BumbleBee 1/2A boost glider, to beat the Competition Model Rockets (Howard Kuhn) Manta, a type of delta flying wing. With its low aspect ratio wing giving better boost altitude than “sailplane” wing gliders, it succeeded, turning in 2 minute glides.

The RumbleBee-C is a 4X upscaled version, with rudder only RC, and a VECTOR POD which offers enhanced reliability. Tilting the fixed pod down by 2.5 degrees offsets the “down moment” of the normal thrust line, to ensure straight boost. The motor module is ejected with a streamer, providing CG shift for glide trim. This is actually how the first front engine BG’s worked. I find it lighter and more reliable than pop pods.

RC boost gliders have a reputation of being hard to fly. FAI S8 RG’s can be, due to marginal boost stability. The only CG shift comes from propellant burn-off, with some up elevator at apogee providing the trim adjustment for glide. Boost can be a terror, because the elevator must be constantly “jinked” to provide vertical flight. Beginners often just loop them into the ground.

The RumbleBee will boost straight on its own. Having zero incidence (no up elevator), it will still transition and glide well (CG must be correct). Some say auto-elevators or slight incidence is required on BG’s, but as long as the stabilizer is LOWER than the wing, turbulence off the wing will provide some push down on the stabilizer (ref. G. Harry Stine). I have never seen a death dive with this glider. Using rudder only control makes this bird easy to fly. Elevator control is not really necessary.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top view.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	321630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radio parts.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	321633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side view.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	321631

Thanks for posting.

"Lock S-foils in attack position....."

Once I get moving into the new house, I want to get one. Looks like a good way to get into this aspect of the hobby!
    Ken
    Let's do some stuff!

Thx. Hey, that canard glider looks like a KLINGON BATTLE CRUISER. I hope you talk Klingon while flying it.

Thanks Ken, too. Note the kit comes with tech support. I can save you shipping on radios from china, only place they come from, shipping is $15. I have 2 radio sets in stock. And the other junk too.

So I doubled the 'Bee again, for D12 motors, check it out. Still rudder only, although could do elevator too.

Handles one D12 ok, but I wanted more alt, so staged it. OBVIOUSLY A MAJOR MALFUNCTION.

ANYBODY WANT A KIT OF THE C, free shipping thru this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tail ripped off, one wing fluttered and shredded. Fixable, need to try a composite low thrust E, after breaking open
    da piggy bank..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RB-D.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	321713

Quote Originally Posted by XolveJohn View Post
    Thx. Hey, that canard glider looks like a KLINGON BATTLE CRUISER. I hope you talk Klingon while flying it.

Thanks Ken, too. Note the kit comes with tech support. I can save you shipping on radios from china, only place they come from, shipping is $15. I have 2 radio sets in stock. And the other junk too.

So I doubled the 'Bee again, for D12 motors, check it out. Still rudder only, although could do elevator too.

Handles one D12 ok, but I wanted more alt, so staged it. OBVIOUSLY A MAJOR MALFUNCTION.

ANYBODY WANT A KIT OF THE C, free shipping thru this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tail ripped off, one wing fluttered and shredded. Fixable, need to try a composite low thrust E, after breaking open
    da piggy bank..
    You might consider using Spruce or a small-diamter Carbon Fiber tube for the fuselage on the larger versions.

The D fuse did not break!

The D ver, and the C, both use basswood fuse's. SIG does not seem to have spruce anymore.

I considered carbon, but the round shapes are hard to glue stuff to, and bigger sizes are expensive.
    I know they have square ones too.

But thanks for tip. Might at some time try a foam wing with carbon rods embedded for reinforcement.

I do get my carbon pushrods from RCfoam.com

RB-C kit free shipping offer extended thru June. GET ONE IN THE AIR!

Name:	RumbleBee Logo2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	321880

Here is a side view. Done in FreeCad. Can't beat the price. About as powerful as SolidWorks!

Name:	side view 2m.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	322064

Are plans available on-line for the base glider? I've done extensive searches for free plans, but through off-line archiving (I hope!) and hard drive crashes, I have no idea where they might be, if I still have them.

If you mean the original Bumble Bee 1/2A glider in 1969, it is here:

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/Mod...2n03_12-69.pdf

The complete plans for my RumbleBee version are in the May/June 2017 Sport Rocketry.

Here is a site with lots of old rocket plans, enjoy:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/cmr.htm

Thanks! I lost most of my bookmarks in the hard drive crash, too.

Kits still $25. Free shipping during September! Priority mail. Get one in the air!

I am building a brushless powered D size version for fun. Good field across the street. Relax after work. More rocketeers should get into Eplanes, good flying practice for RC BG.

Top view:

Name:	top view 2 1 inch e.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	325869

This is my first attempt at an electric RumbleBee-D for flying practice. Has rudder and elevator control.

Brushless motor is the second smallest Turnigy outrunner, just enough power, need slightly bigger one.

Wing 3/32" balsa. Flies ok, but has problems with hard landings. Wood fuse not rugged, or the wing.

Need to use carbon fiber boom, and stronger wing, mounted with rubber bands or nylon shear screws.
    Had to go to a 9" prop to get enough thrust.

Name:	electricBEE.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	328180

May try using balsa plywood. Coat 1/16" sheet with CA, and spray accel on another, then clamp together.

Anyone looking for a nice, slow practice Eplane, check out the Slow Stick, Hobbyking has one, usually out of stock,

and GWS always has. The cheap ones use brushed motors. Get something in the air!

Good gosh, I built a Bumble Bee when they first came out in the rocket mags. I didn't have any basswood for the boom and used balsa. Was very very careful and it flew many times before I broke it. Kurt

Those were the good old days, moon landing, healthy NAR competition. SIG seems to have dropped the

spruce sticks, they are now basswood, which is fine for BG's. But the electric planes are heavier, this D size
    plane was 6 oz. Gets up to some speed, so you don't want to impact the ground the wrong way.

There is one UAV that is actually designed to fall apart when it lands, the kind the soldiers hand launch, looks pretty
    much like a model plane. Everyone seems to be going to flying wings these days, I like the old standard configuration.