Klima motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
We are traveling to Slovakia this summer. Klima rocket motors are hard to find in the USA but are sold in Slovakia, looking forward to trying them. An Estes C6-5 and a Klima C6-5 both have a total impulse of 10 Ns, but the simulation says that the Klima will take an Estes Patriot 230 meters high while the Estes will only go to 196 meters. On a Estes Executioner, the simulation says 218m with a Klima D9-5 and 174m with an Estes D12-5. The Klima D motors are 18mm, should give my smaller rockets the ride of their lives. And the Klimas cost much less, a package of 6 with igniters costs 20 euros, about $22.50.

Has anyone used the Klimas? Are these numbers real? I'll let you know after I get there. I see some posts from back in 2013 that Quest was going to import Klima motors for sale in the USA, but it seems that deal never happened.

I'm wondering if you've located a local source which sells Klima motors near where you will be in Slovakia. Sport rocketry as we know it in the U.S. is almost unknown in Eastern Europe. Our experience of going to a local hobby or crafts store to purchase kits and motors is almost non-existent in most of the former soviet-block countries. Klima motors may be available in Slovakia but I'd check with them to see if there is a retailer near where you will be.

But you should have a great time in Slovakia. Magnificently beautiful country.

Steve

My wife is Slovak and yes, it is a magnificent country, we go there often. When was your last visit? If not recent, you may be surprised by the level of availability of rockets and other goods. There are many hobby stores and most stock Estes and Klima rockets and motors, at least A through D. Sierra Fox in Italy is the only place anywhere in Europe that I have found that sells anything higher than a D. But the shops sell the Estes Pro Series II rockets so at least the E through G must be available somehow. There is a lot of interest in rocketry in Slovakia and elsewhere but they seem more oriented towards competitions rather than sport.

Did more searching and found a few threads about Klima in this forum. It seems they are for real, they are highly regarded motors but are not available in the USA. At the moment they are only making 18mm motors (A through D) but they plan to start making 24mm and 29mm this summer (would be nice but I'm not counting on it). Interestingly, they come with fuses rather than electronic igniters.
See:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...S-availability-wicked-18-mm-D&highlight=klima
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?137162-The-phantom(-)-Klima-motors&highlight=klima
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?69780-Klima-Motors&highlight=klima

klimamotor 1.jpg

We have arrived in Slovakia with no damage to the rockets, except one small airframe dent. Went to the hobby shop and picked up some Klima and Estes motors. As mentioned, the Klima motors come with fuses rather than electronic igniters, wonder if they work with Estes igniters? Isn't it illegal in the USA to launch model rockets with fuses?

Klima package front.jpg

Klima package back.jpg

Nice. What does a hobby shop in Slovakia look like ? Lighting motors with fuses is a NAR/Tripoli safety code violation. The legality would depend on local jurisdiction I think. I'll bet most U.S. Fire marshall's aren't big fans. Looking forward to a launch report.

Klima sell igniters separately and they seem to be more reliable than current Estes. The Klima D9's are a good way to lose small rockets. We also had a University group launch a 7 motor cluster of an Estes D12-5 and 6 Klima D9-P that actually flew pretty well.

"The Klima D9's are a good way to lose small rockets."
Seems that even Klima C6's are a good way to lose rockets. I should have waited for my son who has better eyes, but I only had an hour until sunset, there was no wind, the forecast for the upcoming week is rain and wind, and I thought I'd be safe launching a C6 by myself on an Estes Patriot, the sim shows an apogee of just 216 meters. But the grass is high and I never saw the rocket coming down. You can hear the ejection charge but perhaps the chute did not open:
https://goo.gl/photos/2r1wXKfJq6awynx5A
In the video, does anyone see any sign at all of the rocket near apogee or during descent? I'll keep looking in the morning, it started to get dark. Would hate to lose the rocket and its Estes altimeter.

Hobby shops here look pretty much identical to those in the USA, mostly RC airplanes, a few rockets, trains, and boats.

We are traveling to Slovakia this summer. Klima rocket motors are hard to find in the USA but are sold in Slovakia, looking forward to trying them. An Estes C6-5 and a Klima C6-5 both have a total impulse of 10 Ns, but the simulation says that the Klima will take an Estes Patriot 230 meters high while the Estes will only go to 196 meters. On a Estes Executioner, the simulation says 218m with a Klima D9-5 and 174m with an Estes D12-5. The Klima D motors are 18mm, should give my smaller rockets the ride of their lives. And the Klimas cost much less, a package of 6 with igniters costs 20 euros, about $22.50.

Has anyone used the Klimas? Are these numbers real? I'll let you know after I get there. I see some posts from back in 2013 that Quest was going to import Klima motors for sale in the USA, but it seems that deal never happened.

Yes I've used Klimas here in the UK on model rockets. The D9-5s are very good, being an 18mm D motor, which is very handy. I found them a bit snappier than BP motors, but that might have just been my impression - I've no way of actually confirming your sim via numbers, as in those days I didn't fly with an altimeter. The main thing to take care on is the rear closure is convex shaped, as opposed to the concave of Estes. I found this slight protrusion means they can chip a little easier so take care when inserting the igniter. Safe trip and have a great time in Slovakia.

Back