Bomarc model rocket launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duggyhow

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone successfully launched and parachute engaged a bomarc 2.6 rocket? I tried building one several years ago and made some mistakes cause the instructions were hard to follow. Just wondering if it will go up high and do like other rockets do? Mine must have been too heavy from having to reconstruct it cause of damage from it not going high enough to engage the parachute
but going high enough to cause damage when landing, lol. I was thinking of buying another one and trying again. Thanks.

I have to ask, what exactly do you mean by "engage the parachute"? Are you asking about when the chute comes out, or when it opens/inflates to slow the rocket?

You might need a larger motor or a different delay, or both....

I have!

[video=youtube;rIZ609XBWog]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIZ609XBWog[/video]

The two images below were captured by fellow club member, the flight was using a CTI 159-G54-RL-12A.

DSC_1130.jpg DSC_1132.jpg

Attachments

• P1200619.jpg
    P1200619.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 77
Rocket kits are designed to be built as directed. There is a careful balance between the weight of the rocket, its shape, and the amount of thrust and impulse that are delivered by the motor. Beyond that, I don't know how to help you. If you build it to the instructions and launch it on the recommended motors, you should have a successful flight and recovery.

If you have the desire to learn more about rocketry, I recommend The Handbook of Model Rocketry by G. Harry Stine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am told that one wants a short(ish) burn duration and delay since Bomarc models tend to follow the full scale flight profile (they arc).
Rex

I was able to get two of these thing to glide alright. The second one flew away on me. I modified the kit so as to have negative incidence on the stab during boost. It seemed to do the trick.

I have!

[video=youtube;rIZ609XBWog]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIZ609XBWog[/video]

The two images below were captured by fellow club member, the flight was using a CTI 159-G54-RL-12A.

View attachment 321523 View attachment 321525

I'm currently working on the Jayhawk. Almost done, gonna paint it this weekend, but my next build is the BOMARC. Really cool video. Sorta looks like the delay was a little long? No zipper I assume?

I am told that one wants a short(ish) burn duration and delay since Bomarc models tend to follow the full scale flight profile (they arc).
Rex

Yes. If using motor ejection and flying on a G 64 use the shortest delay -4 and weight for that motor. I weighted mine for bigger motors but decided to test fly on a G 76 - 4 green and the ejection was a tad worse than the video, but luckily no zipper, tough Mad Cow materials. Flew great on an H. As a weighty drag queen she really needs the extra power. Not fond of the stock 1/4 inch lugs but it does work off a rod, even though it can be embarrassing flying off the rod and having to forego the much cooler rail.

The Jayhawk is fun to fly, flown it many times. If I were to do it again I would invest in some fancy aluminum Aeropac motor retention. Really do a good job on those long fillets, like all Jayhawks with paper tubes it will want to eventually crack and chip the paint along the long root. Easily fixed with thin CA, but it happens. It can also arc in wind with a punchier motor like a G 64. I got a nice 5 inch zipper on that flight like that. Oh well, get some tape, CA it up in the field, sick some black electrical tape over it and fly again. No one will notice that extra black stripe.

Did someone say Bomarc?

2.6" Bomarc?

-> OK, I'll admit, not my rocket -> but still -> it was pretty cool.

IMGP6000.jpg

I'm currently working on the Jayhawk. Almost done, gonna paint it this weekend, but my next build is the BOMARC. Really cool video. Sorta looks like the delay was a little long? No zipper I assume?

Agree that ejection event seemed late, but it was baro-alt controlled not delay. Thankfully no zipper.

I've been flying a BT-80 (2.6") Bomarc 3- D12-3 cluster for a very long time. It's currently in need of a new motor mount and stuffer tube but is still on the shelf waiting for the spirit to move me.
What a great flying Scratch built rocket using 8sec fx-smokers in the ramjets, actully took 1st place at a couple ECRM Sport Scale competitions in the 90's.

077-b1d-sm_Bomarc 3 pic Test Flight_08-04-90.jpg

077b2d_Bomarc 13.25 3pic Flt_ECRM-18_04-28-91.jpg

077a-sm_Maxi Bomarc 3D 13.25 scale_10-12-90.jpg

Attachments

• 077b3e_Bomarc 13.25 4pic Flt_ECRM-22_06-10-95.jpg
    077b3e_Bomarc 13.25 4pic Flt_ECRM-22_06-10-95.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 24
Back