Have you flown a stock Mega Der Red Max on an AT H128?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sl98

Reaction score
I'm working with someone who has a stock built Mega Der Red Max and is considering L1 with this rocket. Purpose of this thread is not to get opinions on how to build the rocket but rather get real world data from those who can answer yes to the first three questions below.

1. Do you have you own a stock Mega Der Red Max?
  2. Did you build it stock, including the fins?
  3. If so, have you flown your Mega Der Red Max on an AT H128W (or similar motor)?

• Did the fins survive?
  • Did you drill the H128 delay? If so, how far did you drill down? (we want to compare to what we are seeing in Openrocket sim).

• If not an H128, what motor and delay?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Mine is pretty close to stock. The only non-stock items are an Estes motor retainer and an eyebolt in the forward centering ring for mounting the shock chord. And yes, my shock chord is elastic.

The fins will survive just fine on any H motor.

Here's my data: motor, altitude, and the delay I used

H238T, 1048 ft, 8 sec delay

H128W, 1025 ft, 6 sec delay

H180W, no alt data, 7 sec delay

G64, 581 ft, 5 sec delay

H210, 1205 ft, 6 sec delay (this delay was too short)

H135W, 1417, 8 sec delay (i had a note that this was a good delay)

Hope this helps you.

Thanks for your data. It is helpful and delays are consistent with what we see in Openrocket.

Got my L1 on a MDRM last year on a CTI H123 skid. Built pretty much stock, but used 10/10 rail buttons, slimline motor retainer. Recovery via a 20 foot 9/16 tubular nylon harness borrowed from one of my high power rockets....and a 36" Spherachute with JL chute release. It has also flown on a CTI G106 Skid as recently as last week at Mini Midwest Power. I have found the Openrocket simulations to be reasonably accurate for delay determination. Ready to fly weight with the CTI H123 was 3.2 pounds. I plan to fly it at URRF4 on a CTI H151 red. Weigh the rocket with everything except the motor to get a a good simulation. With a chute release you have some room to go a tad longer on the delay.

The H's should be fine as proved by post #2. Nice altitude but should be easily recoverable. Especially if ya' use a Chute Release. After you cert, try a vmax :dark: (A lot of them fly at MDRA in the H4xx, but I can't vouch for how stock they are. )

Back