Shipping Paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
This didn't seem like a fit for anywhere else, so here we go. Title says it all... I'm moving cross-country and movers don't want to move paint. Understandable. I've got probably a dozen cans of spray paint; I'm fine with culling the "less than half-full" ones, but still, 9 cans of paint is like $60 worth of paint. All of it is rattle-can.

Anyone ever shipped rattle-can paint? USPS seems to say that it's just a matter of sealing it up in a bag, packing it carefully, sealing it in a box, putting the box in a box, then noting that it contains Dangerous Stuff.

Anyone done this? Good experience? Bad?

This didn't seem like a fit for anywhere else, so here we go. Title says it all... I'm moving cross-country and movers don't want to move paint. Understandable. I've got probably a dozen cans of spray paint; I'm fine with culling the "less than half-full" ones, but still, 9 cans of paint is like $60 worth of paint. All of it is rattle-can.

Anyone ever shipped rattle-can paint? USPS seems to say that it's just a matter of sealing it up in a bag, packing it carefully, sealing it in a box, putting the box in a box, then noting that it contains Dangerous Stuff.

Anyone done this? Good experience? Bad?

I packed 30-50 cans of spray paint in a cardboard box, and labeled it "Hobby Supplies" . The movers drove it over 800 miles to my new home with no complaints. Done.

when we move, the movers don't want to move anything that contains liquids of any kind, explosives, anything with explosive vapors, fertilizers, insecticides, or most any other cleaners or chemicals. Some crews have refused to move anything that isn't in a box (like lawn and garden equipment, even hand tools). Since all of our moves are in-state, we always leave room in our cars, vans, and our trailer for this stuff, as well as our pets, children, valuables, and stuff we don't trust the movers to handle (glassware, artwork, etc.) On at least one occasion, we were concerned that we weren't going to have enough room for all the stuff they were refusing.

when we move, the movers don't want to move anything that contains liquids of any kind, explosives, anything with explosive vapors, fertilizers, insecticides, or most any other cleaners or chemicals. Some crews have refused to move anything that isn't in a box (like lawn and garden equipment, even hand tools). Since all of our moves are in-state, we always leave room in our cars, vans, and our trailer for this stuff, as well as our pets, children, valuables, and stuff we don't trust the movers to handle (glassware, artwork, etc.) On at least one occasion, we were concerned that we weren't going to have enough room for all the stuff they were refusing.
Our last move, we had a minivan packed full and a u-haul trailer. That's probably going to happen again *sigh*. Still, the cost of the trailer and the extra gas is worth knowing my stuff got there undamaged.

maybe they shouldn't be called movers because they don't move anything and are too lazy to work

When I moved cross-country a couple years ago, I drove from VA to UT with our 3 dogs, houseplants, my stash of spray paint, my motor/reload collection, and my 20 lb CO2 cylinder. And some precious stuff that we didn't entrust to the movers.

maybe they shouldn't be called movers because they don't move anything and are too lazy to work

Awwww heck no. Those guys work their tails off when we move. I get to drive my Explorer with a trailer or three full of stuff we don't trust them with, but they still load, haul, and unload a semi-trailer and a large box truck full of stuff. I wouldn't want to do what they do on a daily basis. One or two days every five to ten years (if I'm lucky) is MORE than enough.

Awwww heck no. Those guys work their tails off when we move. I get to drive my Explorer with a trailer or three full of stuff we don't trust them with, but they still load, haul, and unload a semi-trailer and a large box truck full of stuff. I wouldn't want to do what they do on a daily basis. One or two days every five to ten years (if I'm lucky) is MORE than enough.

That was my experience too when I moved last year. We used a U-Haul to move most of our stuff, but had a local moving company do the heavy stuff (washer, table saw, bandsaw. etc.) They loaded and unloaded the truck quickly and efficiently, but not hastily and nothing was damaged. They took both saws down the stairs by hand and didn't scratch a thing. I don't think I could have managed that!

Back