Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    What do you not know about?
    I don't know anything about a lot of things. (shocker right?)

For example I know nothing about needlepoint. I also run zero forums on needlepoint....

David McCann
    Dave's Rockets | My Flights
    URRG |URRF 4| Level 2 | TRA# 14210

I know nothing about the activities of the Native American Party.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
    If you're a forum admin of a rocketry forum.....you might wanna google something like that rather than ask us...... It's kinda like running a car forum and asking where the oil goes.
    Angie, go ahead and ask these things. Geesh, she shows some interest and gets this. It was totally relevant to the question asked, not a random thing.
    Dick Stafford
    The member formerly known as the Pointy-Haired Moderator.
    The Original Rocket Dungeon
    Volunteer compiler of product news for ROCKETS Magazine

Here's a really crazy idea. The Forum owners should open a Flickr account and all the photos should be migrated there in a similar hierarchical structure. The text with the posts could be put in there too. Now THAT would be a big PITA, but it would be easy to peruse.
    Dick Stafford
    The member formerly known as the Pointy-Haired Moderator.
    The Original Rocket Dungeon
    Volunteer compiler of product news for ROCKETS Magazine

Those are some really great things to know nothing about. The needlepoint is something I've only tried a little bit, but I do many other yarn / fabric crafts. (Biggest thing I've sewn was the stage curtain for a local Ice Rink.) You do know that Rosie Greer (I think I have the name correct) of the NFL use to do needlepoint to relax?

The Native American Party, now that may be something worth investigating. I know nothing about them and what they stand for either.

And, rstaff3, I'll keep asking questions. One of the hardest and first things to learn about being a moderator, admin or site admin is to grow a bit of a thick skin. Good people have different outlooks on many things. So, I'm getting better at that.

Honestly, I find this group interesting so I ask, and some questions I need to have answered as they may impact what I do to the controls of the site to make it better for all of you and me too.

Quote Originally Posted by mpitfield View Post
    That is why Angie has Moderators that are familiar with the subject matter.

Hey Dave, I would like to improve on the Galleries forum where I can, but I don't understand the issue with the organization, can you give an example?
    If you're looking to see paint jobs on say, LOC Mini Maggs, it is an excellent setup.

If you like to see the most recent things people are doing, it's impossible to navigate.

The way it's setup is likely the best way to do it.... I've given thought since it was categorized on how to do it better so it'd be easier to randomly browse, and never came up with anything. I likely came off too critical, but I was just trying to see if anyone had other ideas on how to organize it and make it easier to just browse through.
    David McCann

The way it's setup is likely the best way to do it.... I've given thought since it was categorized on how to do it better so it'd be easier to randomly browse, and never came up with anything. I likely came off too critical, but I was just trying to see if anyone had other ideas on how to organize it and make it easier to just browse through.
    Darn that is too bad I was hoping you had a solution that involved less admin. The more I dig into the Galleries sub-forum the more I realize that the previous moderator had a clear vision and put a lot of effort into it.

At first I was a bit lost and truthfully I stepped forward with a bit of na´vety as to the size of the task. However now that I have had a chance to go through the process of setting up some threads, the task has become much clearer. In fact it is much more than a gallery, it is more like a reference library for our hobby. Viewing it from that perspective I feel that it is a real privilege to be involved and I think that there is room for more than one moderator.
    Michael Pitfield
    TRA 14579 L2
    NAPAS BoD
    URRG
    MARS
    CRC

That's the hard issue. It's not so much a gallery as a living encyclopedia of rocketry. As that, the format is great. And it's an insanely cool reference.

As a gallery its cumbersome. I think it's difficult for it to be two things.

It is a LOT of work. It's also a fantastic resource.
    David McCann

I like the comment of putting everything in one monster list, I think the weakness is the filtering for people that are looking for a specific design. But for other scratch builders, or just idea searchers, that is where the multiple lists get cumbersome.

Filtering would help that wouldn't it? Or maybe there are some advanced 'search" methods I am not aware of (probably the case).

Congrats Mike for taking this on by the way.

I think the idea is that a rigid hierarchy of threads is only one of many useful ways to browse the pictures. Unfortunately, it is the only way that really works directly within the structure of forum software like this.

What I would do would be something along these lines:
    1) Keep the existing structure for users to post their pictures, and also folks can browse that way if they choose
    2) Add a separate gallery page which scrape all the images posted to all these threads and make them available with some straightforward keyword filtering: Manufacturer, Model, and Poster, Date. Sort by reverse chronological. Done. The nice thing is that the scraper can figure out all the metadata itself.

This would not be perfect but it would be pretty simple to implement and would satisfy about 80% of what DMC and SCP are looking for, I think. The Gallery page would require little or no human intervention once it was set up and running.

Just my 2 cents.
    Recently completed: APRO Lander II and Starship Avalon; next up: Accur8-skinned Trajector and Ragnarok Orbital Interceptor
    My photo albums: fleet pics and OR Models

If you're looking to see paint jobs on say, LOC Mini Maggs, it is an excellent setup.
    Great, because that was what it was designed to do.

If you like to see the most recent things people are doing, it's impossible to navigate.
    Exactly. Because that is not what it was intended to do. You can find those things more easily (not super easy, but still...) in the Watering Hole, in the LPR, threads, etc. This was created because you couldn't easily (if at all) find specific rockets and see how others did it one model at a time. I think your suggestion for a NEW tool is an interesting (and worthwhile) one but I don't think there's a good way to make this tool do that without making it less useful for the job it was intended to do.
    Blessings,

John
    NAR#87984
    L1 - Airfest - September 6, 2015

It can't be my second childhood, I haven't finished my first one yet.

"If I were giving a young man advice as to how he might succeed in life, I would say to him, Pick out a good father and mother, and begin life in Ohio." - Wilbur Wright, January 10, 1910

My Blog
    Other stuff I write

Adding links to build threads would be cool, but somewhat labour intensive!
    -paul

NAR# 101258 - L1
    www.CRMRC.org
    I don't know the same things you don't know..

Quote Originally Posted by Peartree View Post
    Great, because that was what it was designed to do.

Exactly. Because that is not what it was intended to do. You can find those things more easily (not super easy, but still...) in the Watering Hole, in the LPR, threads, etc. This was created because you couldn't easily (if at all) find specific rockets and see how others did it one model at a time. I think your suggestion for a NEW tool is an interesting (and worthwhile) one but I don't think there's a good way to make this tool do that without making it less useful for the job it was intended to do.
    Then it shouldn't be called a gallery, because it's not one. Thats my point. :P

At one point, it was a single sub forum, with threads for each rocket. The issue was people kept making new threads and not adding to old ones. I would have solved it by allowing users to reply, but not create new threads. JAL went with this very large level of organization, which changed it from a gallery to an encyclopedia. A good tool, but something different than a gallery.

I'm not suggesting a new tool, just that I liked the old one.
    David McCann

How about a Gallery category for DynaSoar Rocketry?

aerostadt PM sent
    Last edited by mpitfield; 16th June 2017 at 05:12 AM.
    Michael Pitfield
    TRA 14579 L2
    NAPAS BoD
    URRG
    MARS
    CRC

Awesome - the galleries are going to come back to life! JAL3 did a huge amount of work maintaining this and indexing everything, for which we were always grateful.

On David's point about wanting to see recent activity more easily - I don't know the forum software in detail, but if it was possible to put a filter on the "new posts" function it would do exactly what he is asking for (and which I agree would be useful). In pseudocode it would be "show all new posts under the Galleries section since <date/time>". I am guessing (as a sw dev myself) that doing this might not be too hard. Perhaps a "New Gallery Posts" button could be inserted in the top level Gallery forum.

Apart from that the only longstanding issue was that we random posters could not start a new thread for a design that John had not created the thread and index posts for. I *think* this was because once the thread got started there was no easy way to get the index post back to the top of the thread. Maybe this is solvable by the mod going in and duplicating the first post and then editing the original to create the index post...but I'm not sure how workable that would be in practice though.
    Dave Cook
    NAR 21953 L3 - TRA 1108 - DART San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by caveduck View Post
    Awesome - the galleries are going to come back to life! JAL3 did a huge amount of work maintaining this and indexing everything, for which we were always grateful.
    He certainly did put a lot of effort into it. Truthfully I stuck my hand up with a bit of naivety, and not realizing what he had started.

On David's point about wanting to see recent activity more easily - I don't know the forum software in detail, but if it was possible to put a filter on the "new posts" function it would do exactly what he is asking for (and which I agree would be useful). In pseudocode it would be "show all new posts under the Galleries section since <date/time>". I am guessing (as a sw dev myself) that doing this might not be too hard. Perhaps a "New Gallery Posts" button could be inserted in the top level Gallery forum.
    The biggest issue we appear to have is that we have no access to the server and there does not seem to be much interest from the owner's side to play with something that is working. It is a simply risk vs. reward thing.

Apart from that the only longstanding issue was that we random posters could not start a new thread for a design that John had not created the thread and index posts for. I *think* this was because once the thread got started there was no easy way to get the index post back to the top of the thread. Maybe this is solvable by the mod going in and duplicating the first post and then editing the original to create the index post...but I'm not sure how workable that would be in practice though.
    This is still an issue. As a matter of fact I have found no way around it. Once a thread is started, the posts are chronological and that is that. Even if I copy paste posts from one thread to another, merge two threads, etc. it has no affect on the chronological order of the posts. I am hoping that there is a way to re-order posts and it is something I am looking into on the vBulletin forum, but until then the process will have to be more about protocol. I will have to create the threads, as well as complete or at least reserve the appropriate posts, then everyone else can post.
    Michael Pitfield
    TRA 14579 L2
    NAPAS BoD
    URRG
    MARS
    CRC

BTW Michael I want to say "thanks" for stepping in to this R.O.U.S. infested swamp.
    Dave Cook
    NAR 21953 L3 - TRA 1108 - DART San Diego

...R.O.U.S. infested swamp.
    Rodents of Unusual Size? I don't think they really exist...

Rick
    URRG, MARS
    Tripoli #15706
    http://www.rocketreviews.com/rick-barness-page.html

There is a theory that states that if anyone figures out why the universe is for or why it is here, it will suddenly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable.
    There is another theory that says this may have already happened...