Official sign in thread for the 2017 MODSBO contest.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scotty Dog
The time has come..Start Your Builds!!!
This is the thread to let us know that you are entering the "My Own Design Summer Build Off Contest."
Let us know who you are and post a link to your build thread.
Doesn't have to be a Start to finish build thread, altho it would be nice. We just need a few pics of your build and some kind of proof of a successful flight.
Have fun.
Oh ya. we do have some rules.
General Rules
1. The "Annual TRF Summer Build-**** will start Memorial Day 2017 and end Labor Day 2017. This is open to all TRF members. To enter, simply post in the thread that you are entering into the competition.
2. The rocket must be an "original design". No "cloning" of a commercially available design. This will be judged off of a combination of an honor system and TRF member rule.
3. Each competitor may only submit ONE (1) rocket design into the competition.
4. All rockets must have at least one flight completed by AUGUST 29TH (this is 1 week before Labor Day, allows time for the poll to be put together). Proof of the flight must be shown on the forum (Picture, video, attesting by another TRF member, etc.).
5. The flight must be a safe flight, including a successful recovery, and must follow all aspects of the NAR safety code. All rockets must have a stable flight, with some sort of recovery mechanism. Airbrake and flutter recovery ARE counted as a recovery system, as long as the rocket returns with no damage.
6. No posts about the build are allowed until the start of the competition. However, design
7. To encourage more creativity in designs, a simulation file is NOT required to be posted. However, it is highly encouraged.

Impulse/Size
1. The restrictions on impulse and size are as follows:
A. the rocket must be a Class 1 model rocket not requiring Level 1 certification to launch.

This means that the rocket:
i. Uses no more than 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant;
ii. Uses a slow-burning propellant;
iii. Is made of paper, wood, or breakable plastic;
iv. Contains no substantial metal parts; and
v. Weighs no more than 1,500 grams (53 ounces), including the propellant.
vi. Uses no more than 160 Newton-Seconds if the rocket contains a single motor, and no more than 320 Newton-Seconds if the rocket is a cluster or a multistage rocket.

Judging
1. All rockets will be posted in a TRF Poll or equivalent polling site. All TRF members may vote on the rockets. The rocket with the highest number of votes will be the winner. In the event of a tie, a runoff vote between the tied rockets shall determine the winner.
2. In case of a dispute, the final decision on any issues will be decided by CW Bullet and Scotty Dog.

Prizes
1. The prizes will be distributed as a "kitty box" type manner. All prizes will be placed in a pool. The first place entry gets the first choice on their prize, second place gets second choice, etc.

Thanks

Scotty Dog.

Also.....Sorry for the "Don't Bother" part, just trying to nip it in the bud.

We had great entries last year..can only imagine what people will come up with this year.

AWESOME !

So, whats the word on other people anteing up for the kitty box?

AWESOME !

So, whats the word on other people anteing up for the kitty box?
WOW!! This contest sure went south this summer.
Almost a boycot style ignorance to my post. 3 months really?

Well, I'm a man of my word. Anybody got an entry Ill give ya to this weekend.
Ill get a hold of BB and get a vote up.
And I will put up a prize.
Thanks to all that entered.

DH here, built only two rockets this summer; one Secret Santa, and my L1.

I'll put the ideas back in the pot for next year.

Hey Scotty, BB,

No, not a boycott. I really intended to enter but we still have no launch site nor legal place to fly. :( There're some great entries this year. I'll have to put up a post-MODSBO design in your honor when I get the chance. Thanks again for graciously hosting!

Back