Best method to get a smooth paint job?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those videos posted above are great, pretty much how ai spray. I think the biggest problem comes from spraying too far from the rocket. I spray pretty close and keep the can moving so I don't get runs, also prevents a rough finish. I have a lot of rockets to build so I don't have time to achieve a perfect showroom finish, so why try? I never sand paint between coats unless a bug or something gets on the finish, also I never spray a clear cote unless I want a dull finish, then I spray dullcote.

It can if it is a filler primer, not just a primer for paint adhesion. I've used the Rustoleum Filler Primer with good result, but it does take a few coats and a lot of sanding. Now I typically use a wood filler first for big, deep spirals. Sand that to a semi-decent finish, then use the filler primer.

NOT True Thirsty!
I use the Very Cheapest "Sandable Auto Primer I can get. IT IS NOT a filler primer. Filler Primers will fill grain and seams faster but Filler primers are at least 3 times as expensive for something we are almost completely sanding off.
Plain Old Sandable Grey Auto Primer will fill wood grain and body tube seams in 3 or 4 wet coats as I've mentioned many times.

Come on guys; Remember primer is intended to be the conversion coating between raw base material and color coats. It is also used to smooth out "MINOR" surface blemishes (such as wood grain and body tube seams:)). When sanding is finished there should be little Primer left on the project. Primer and it's pigments are Heavy so sand as much off as practical for your purpose.

Last edited:
Yes wet sanding removes orange peel texture but leaves a non-glossy finish. You have to polish after wet sanding to make it glossy. But wet sanding should be done with 1500 - 2000 grit sandpaper, not 400 grit. Don't take my word for it, go read about wet sanding on any autobody forum. It would be a lot of work to thoroughly polish out 400 grit scratch marks.

Nathan & group:
You guys are not listening! If you are using a top coat/clear coat Urethane system as is used in Auto body shops then YES 1000 to 2000grit wet sanding is used.
WE ARE NOT USING top coat / Clear Coat systems.
We are attempting to remove orange peel from rattle can mostly acrylic enamel paints. These are WAY softer then any urethane product.
A little sanding with 360 grit wet sandpaper is all thats needed to knock down the major dimples. but it is NOT the wet sanding that is removing the orange peel from my finishes it is the polishing/buffing product 3M Finessit-II. which not only removes the orange peel it also buffs to a high polish shine needing only a coat of Nu-Finish polymer to create a super high polished gloss finish.

Stop wasting your time wet sanding with over 360 grit papers. get a quart of Finessit-II and/or Perfect-it-III from you local Auto paint supply. You'll never spand another day sanding out bad finishes and love to high polished finish obtained.

ColorPlace-a_Cheap Grey Primer(Wal-Mart) _01-12.JPG

Nu-Finish & Finessit-II(96dpi)_08-17-06.jpg

I usually put the spray can in the sun an hours before I use it or keep it indoors for overnight in the winter. I'll make the first two shots on a piece of cardboard because I have got spatter from the can during the initial spray release. Other than that, wet sanding the OP out, repainting and wet sanding again with progressively finer sand paper till you get the smoothness you want and then shoot a final coat. Someone posted a link to micromesh earlier. I have used that on jet canopies to buff pilot helmet scratches out of the acrylic. You just need to be patient, have some good tunes, and take your time.

A little sanding with 360 grit wet sandpaper is all thats needed to knock down the major dimples. but it is NOT the wet sanding that is removing the orange peel from my finishes it is the polishing/buffing product 3M Finessit-II. which not only removes the orange peel it also buffs to a high polish shine needing only a coat of Nu-Finish polymer to create a super high polished gloss finish.

Whenever I wet sand, even with finer grits (lately I just do 800) I end up sanding through the paint in a few places, often the edges. Therefore I have no choice but to recoat after sanding. To be fair, I've been getting very very good results this way, so it's not that bad, but it does prevent me from going straight from sanding to polishing.

Any tips for how to avoid sanding through the first coat if we want to try your sand/Finesse-it/polish regimen?

Any tips for how to avoid sanding through the first coat if we want to try your sand/Finesse-it/polish regimen?

Sure neil:
On your next project, after you have the color coat on forego sanding the final finish and go straight to Finessit-II or if you feel the finish needs a bit harsher grit Perfect-it-III. Follow the lable directions and use with very soft T-shirt cotton rags for both the moist applicator and the dry wipe off rags.
Be prepared to spend a bit more time then usual if you're not gently sanding those high spots but the end result will be worth it.
In the past i've Finessit-II removed decades old orange peeled finishes for a couple of friends who wanted to resurect some very old rockets but did not want to repaint.

Nathan & group:
You guys are not listening! If you are using a top coat/clear coat Urethane system as is used in Auto body shops then YES 1000 to 2000grit wet sanding is used.
WE ARE NOT USING top coat / Clear Coat systems.
We are attempting to remove orange peel from rattle can mostly acrylic enamel paints. These are WAY softer then any urethane product.

Stop wasting your time wet sanding with over 360 grit papers. get a quart of Finessit-II and/or Perfect-it-III from you local Auto paint supply. You'll never spand another day sanding out bad finishes and love to high polished finish obtained.

Just wanted to clarify: when you talk about Finesse-it, you mean the Finishing Machine Polish right, not the Glaze (assuming from your photos)?

Slightly off-topic but since we're talking about using primer to fill in balsa grain and tube seams, I've gone back to using sanding sealer, at least for the balsa parts. The main reason is that it hardens the balsa (or at least puts a hardened layer over it) which affords extra protection from those dings and dents that I always used to get from using wood fillers alone.

I'm going to start using primer as well to cut down on the repeated sanding and number of coats of sanding sealer needed.

Just wanted to clarify: when you talk about Finesse-it, you mean the Finishing Machine Polish right, not the Glaze (assuming from your photos)?

Finesse-it-II is the white polishing material on the left in the center photo. IT IS NOT necessary to use a "finishing machine" to remove orange peel & create a High Polished final finish. Apply with a moist soft cotton rag, allow to dry to a film and buff off by Hand with a dry soft cotton t-shirt rag.

Wow guy's:
Mirror glass smooth finishing isn't all the difficult if you remember that Finishing takes up to 4 times as long as building your rockets.

First: Prep work is all important: I've stopped using seam & wood fillers perferring to use only the Cheapest rattle can grey auto primer I can get my hands on. Currently that is "Fresh & Easy" from Walmart (.98/12oz can - in 3 case orders). 3 Coat, let dry overnight then sand with 220 -240 DRY sandpaper. If those first 3 coats leave some grain or seam lines showing, repeat with 1-3 coats and sand with 320-360 DRY sandpaper. In is not necessary or wanted to sand our primer any finer than 360 grit. We Want some micro peaks and valley's to give the color coats a little "tooth" to grip onto. We want our finished Primer to be free of blemishes, dust, dirt,hair or there impurities but NOT so slick that the color coats have nothing to clinge too.

As Others have mentioned, Rattle can paints are not the worlds best paint/thinner/vehicle formulas. All these Rattle Cans are intended for consumer use. As such there are some tradeoffs that had to be made. One of these is the paint consistancy. Professional painters use their experience to thin a give paint to the proper "drip rate" to get the material to flow out to a smooth coat. Unfortunately all pigments do not thin the same and Rattle Can paints are made to use the same amount of solvent thinners and spraying vehicle. So all colors do not spray the same.
All that to say it isn't always the humidity or your technique that cause some Orange Peel outcomes. It happens to the best of us using Rattle Can Products.
What to do? Wet sanding the final coating is one option. but you DO NOT need to exceed 600grit when Wet sanding on our model rockets. On a Classic Car top coat/clear coat finish you would use the finer 1000, 1200, 1500 and 2000 grit wet paper but on Model rockets it is NEVER necessary!
After Wet sanding out any dust, lint or other debris collected during the painting process with up to 600grit wet sand paper the next step to a babies butt smooth glass like finish is a 3m product "Finessit-II" polishing medium. This is NOT a rubbing compound. it is a finishing medium with ultra fine removal properties. Use as directed on the lable. Finessit-II does remove a very small amount of paint so if your model has multi colors with only a single coat be very careful as you may remove that single coat in the buffing process. On Trains, Planes, Trucks & Cars we use an electric buffer. On our Model Rockets this application and buffing process is done with very soft cotton rags by hand.
As I mentioned before this Finessit-II process does take some time. but Finessit-II will remove the worst Orange Peel you can produce Leaving a Mirror smooth finish, so time well spent it is worth it. If you have created "Paint Dams" at your multi-color seperation lines Finessit-II will remove them to the point you will not be able to feel the joint. I've done 6 and 7 color camo. paint jobs the Feel as smooth as a single color coat.
A couple examples below: All produced in my basement spray booth, using only Rattle Can paints. a little wet sanding and Finessit-II before decals and Pledge with Future protective coating.

If you would like more detailed prep, paint and finishing tips; a visit to www.narhams.org could be of help. in the left hand menu look for the Library section, when you click on Library look for Tech Tips. Tech Tip-002 through 005 will take you from Raw Wood and paper to babies butt smooth finish with lots of options and products discussed.

Okay so you convinced me to try out Finessit-II so I just picked some up today and tried it on a nose cone with a 3 month old paint job with fine scratches and dull from going thru tree branches and doing the lawn dart thing a time or two.

Daaaaamn it's good! It left the paint looking wet-shiny and even better than the day it was first painted. You're right it does take a small bit of paint off but you don't need to really scrub at the paint--just a light touch will do it. Patience is its own virtue here because it's better to take your time than to expect instantaneous results. +1 on that great recommendation.

Back