Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    If you need someone to play with the "just the sled" full size eggfinder version, I'd be happy to volunteer.

I have a 4" Madcow Patriot with a nose bay built using the John Coker method (4" x 54mm centering ring epoxied into the cone, 4" coupler bulkhead attached to that using t-nuts and machine screws). I've got a couple of different antenna sizes I could play with (no stick antenna unfortunately).
    I will keep you in mind.

So much of my rocket building time has been diverted toward my "other hobby": Race Timing

EggFinder (Full Sized) Sled

Ok, I think I have this one about at the done stage. The suggestion of a sandable antenna support was a good one, and easily implemented. I wanted it to be removable, in case you mess up you don't wreck the entire sled. You just try again on another dodad. It will come separately and attach via a single screw from behind. I will include 3 nubs in every kit in case you have different antenna or just bugger one beyond use. Anyhow, with the spacer in place you simply wrap a zip tie around the antenna and through the tie down holes.

I also greatly increased the area for a battery to attach. You can even wedge a 9V in there now, but it would be too big to fit in a 38 mm Nose Cone. This is something I love about PETG as a material, it is strong, but has some flex to it. I would still recommend a small LiPo though.

Anyhow, with everything attached as with the previous versions it slides right into the 38 mm RW/Madcow nose cone. As mentioned before, this version is never fitting the CTI/Wildman 38mm cones, sorry.

Please note it isn't really warped. I was lazy and used my crappy camera this evening.

This needs one more cycle of very minimal tweaks, and then it should be ready to produce. Would there be interest in these? These would not be available with an outer sleeve for shock cord mounting...just too many antenna variations to account for. You could make your own sleeve out of a 38 mm coupler and a bulkhead though.

Last edited by Cl(VII); 12th July 2017 at 04:48 AM.
    So much of my rocket building time has been diverted toward my "other hobby": Race Timing

Received your sled down under today. I guess that makes you an international businessman now

Great design, great service. Keep up the good work!

I guess I had better start building that Go Devil 38 I purchased last November...
    TRA 13430, Level 3

"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Great. Glad you are happy with it, and thanks.

Again, Eggcellent work! I like how you implemented the nub.
    ATCS(AW) Tom Keith, USN, ret. _____NAR 99781 L1_____MDRA 212
    SEVRA, NAR 621http://www.sevra.org/ Tripoli East North Carolina (Bayboro), TRA #65, http://ncrockets.org/, MDRA http://www.mdrocketry.org/
    LVL 1 24 October 2015, Leviathan, CTI H133, 2469 ft, Bayboro
    LVL 2 Soon, Super DX3, AT J420 Redline, est 3500 ft, Bayboro or MDRA

Quote Originally Posted by Banzai88 View Post
    Again, Eggcellent work! I like how you implemented the nub.
    Thanks. I printed the latest test with three different nub thicknesses...8 mm (wire antenna), 6mm and 4mm. That way you can start from the one closest to your antenna size. The 6 was close to right for the nub antenna, the 4 was perfect for a middle sized antenna I have, and none at all fits the big antenna I have. This is probably the way I will kit them.

The latest version had one weak point that could be an issue on a hard (failed main) kinda landing if it hit just right, so I'm going to take some time to strengthen that area before offering these up.

EggFinder (Full Sized) Sled - 38mm kit

38mm RW/Madcow Nosecone mount kit.

Includes: Sled, Drill Guide, Bulkhead, Antenna spacers (4, 6 and 8 mm), (5) M4 set screws and (2) 4-40 set screws.

You will need to add: Nosecone (plus coupler and bulkhead), EggFinder (with antenna), LiPo (4) zip ties (only 3 pictured), Eyebolt and hardware (1/4-20 or M6 recommended), 4-40 screws for mounting Eggfinder to sled (not pictured).

To install:

Decide which antenna spacer is best, and modify by sanding if necessary. 8mm Spacer is designed for the stock wire antenna. The spacer mounts by fitting into the slot on the top of the sled and with a single 4-40 screw from behind.

The EggFinder directions call for the stock wire antenna to extend 80mm above the board. In my RW cone there is 83 mm of space above the board with the sled installed in the recommended way, so the stock wire should be accommodated. However, I can't speak to variability between RW/Madcow cones. The maximum antenna base size that can be accommodated is 16mm diameter.

Attach LiPo with zip ties (vertical zip tie first), and snip excess.

Attach the Eggfinder with your chosen hardware, feed the power connector through the pass through at the bottom of the sled, and secure the antenna with a zip tie.

Attach the sled to the bulkhead with your chosen hardware, and the nut capture in the base of the sled as shown. It is optional, but strongly recommended, to include the fiberglass bulkhead supplied with the nosecone in the stack. Lastly, slide the sled into the pre-drilled nosecone and secure with (3) M4 set screws being careful to recess them sufficiently that they do not interfere with deployment.

Last edited by Cl(VII); 14th July 2017 at 10:43 PM.

EggFinder (Full Sized) Sled - General Bulkhead Kit

General Bulkhead Kit:

Another way to mount these would be on an existing removable bulkhead. To do this you can use any threaded (1/4-20 or smaller) anchor point that passes through the bulkhead.

Includes: Sled, Antenna spacers (4, 6 and 8 mm), Bulkhead Spacer and (2) 4-40 set screws.

You will need to add: Bulkhead with associated hardware (14-20 or M6 recommended), EggFinder (with antenna), LiPo, (4) zip ties, 4-40 screws for mounting Eggfinder to sled.

To install:

Decide which antenna spacer is best, and modify by sanding if necessary. 8mm Spacer is designed for the stock wire antenna. The spacer mounts by fitting into the slot on the top of the sled and with a single 4-40 screw from behind.

The EggFinder directions call for the stock wire antenna to extend 80mm above the board. In my RW cone there is 83 mm of space above the board with the sled installed in the recommended way, so the stock wire should be accommodated. However, I can't speak to variability between RW/Madcow cones. The maximum antenna base size that can be accommodated is 16mm diameter.

Attach LiPo with zip ties (vertical zip tie first), and snip excess.

Attach the Eggfinder with your chosen hardware, feed the power connector through the pass through at the bottom of the sled, and secure the antenna with a zip tie.

Need an existing (removable) bulkhead containing an installed anchor (M6-eyebolt shown). Without removing the hardware that attaches the anchor point slide the spacer over the existing nut (recess in spacer is 15 mm wide and 10mm deep), and screw slide onto threaded part using the nut capture in the base of the sled. This secures the sled without it becoming a load bearing part of the anchor attachment. This will fit almost any 54mm or larger nosecone.

Last edited by Cl(VII); 14th July 2017 at 10:44 PM.

As you can see above, the full sized EggFinder sled is done, and it will be available as soon as I work out batch print times.

The sled (with antenna spacers and 2 screws) and bulkhead spacer will be available separately also. Some folks already have the bulkhead and drill guide from the EF-mini kits, and the bulkhead spacer would also work with the EF-mini sled as well.
    Last edited by Cl(VII); 14th July 2017 at 11:03 PM.

Oooooooo, put me down for one of the full size sleds, too!
    ATCS(AW) Tom Keith, USN, ret. _____NAR 99781 L1_____MDRA 212
    SEVRA, NAR 621http://www.sevra.org/ Tripoli East North Carolina (Bayboro), TRA #65, http://ncrockets.org/, MDRA http://www.mdrocketry.org/
    LVL 1 24 October 2015, Leviathan, CTI H133, 2469 ft, Bayboro
    LVL 2 Soon, Super DX3, AT J420 Redline, est 3500 ft, Bayboro or MDRA

Available in the Yard Sale section for anyone interested: http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...D-printed-sled

FYI: The illusive LiPo of choice for these sleds is in stock at the HobbyKing International Warehouse: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...lipo-pack.html

I just picked up 10 of them for $60 with shipping...I'm unwilling to wait for them to become in stock at the US warehouse to save a few $ on shipping.