Statologger CF

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwrocket

Reaction score
Without sounding like a total noob, is there a correct "*** position for the Stratologger CF no reference in manual that I saw...second on a 7.5" diameter rocket the manual calls for (4) .50 static pressure sampling holes, that seems a bit excessive. My Perfectflight HiAlt only required (4) .250 holes on a 7.5" diameter ... Before I modify my bird, I want to make sure these concerns are correct....any experiences or suggestions?
THX
Ed

THe StratologgerCF doesn't have a required orientation. It will work in any orientation. If using it for firing ejection charges, it should be in the electronics bay with either 3 or 4 vent holes and no others. As for the hole-size formula, I haven't tested anything above a 4" diameter payload bay, but the PerfectFlite formula works well for the smaller sizes. You could try Adept Rocketry's formula if you like the results better https://www.adeptrocketry.com/ALT1Rds.htm.

Ed,

I fly with two 71/2" BlueTube av-bays with CF altimeters, on different rockets, a 14" long AB with (3) 1/4" static ports and an 18" AB with (3) 5/16" static ports. I don't believe (4) 1/2" static ports are needed. I've flown twelve flights on these rockets with good deployments.

THe StratologgerCF doesn't have a required orientation. It will work in any orientation. If using it for firing ejection charges, it should be in the electronics bay with either 3 or 4 vent holes and no others. As for the hole-size formula, I haven't tested anything above a 4" diameter payload bay, but the PerfectFlite formula works well for the smaller sizes. You could try Adept Rocketry's formula if you like the results better https://www.adeptrocketry.com/ALT1Rds.htm.

Good info from Adapt, but this statement is a bit contradictory:

Keep hole sizes within +100% or -50% of the general guideline. Do not make the holes too small, and especially do not make them too large.

At least for apogee detection, the way the altimeter is programmed to determine apogee and when to fire the drogue charge may be more important than hole size details. Some add too much delay in my view. I think the Perfectflight MAWD (legacy product) was very good in this regard. I hope to have same success with the CF.

Good info from Adapt, but this statement is a bit contradictory:

Keep hole sizes within +100% or -50% of the general guideline. Do not make the holes too small, and especially do not make them too large.

If guideline is 1/8":
Don't go larger than 1/8+1/8=1/4".
Don't go smaller than 1/8-1/16=1/16".

Back