Tin-Toy Paint Designs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
I was at a launch last weekend and someone was selling a little tin-toy rocket with a kind of cool paint design. So when I got home, i starting looking them up on the interwebz. Has anyone ever tried to duplicate a paint job like these in paint or vinyl? What kind of rocket kit would you think would work with something like this?

tin-toy.jpg
tin-toy-2.jpg
tin-toy-3.jpg
tin-toy-4.jpg
tin-toy-5.jpg
tin-toy-7.jpg
View attachment 320736
tin-toy-10.jpg
tin-toy-11.jpg

Attachments

• tin-toy-8.jpg
    tin-toy-8.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 47
they are cool!!

they don't seem that hard to reproduce, just a lot of masking!

their shape is the real issue though..

they are cool!!

they don't seem that hard to reproduce, just a lot of masking!

their shape is the real issue though..

I agree it would be a TON of masking. Maybe vinyl would be a good way to go. And the shape is a bit of a problem, like you said. Most of them are fairly short, and they all taper to the aft end, so they would need a tail cone. I think the longer one with the "V-1" on the side could be done on something similar to a Baby Bertha. Some of these designs might even work on something like a V-2 kit that has a tail cone. Wouldn't that be funny? I was trying to decide how to paint my V-2. I was torn between WWII camo or a White Sands roll pattern, but finally decided on Captain Electron's United Planets Atomic Patrol.

Makes me, just a little, want some of these. Buying one is the only way I'll own a rocket that looks like that.

I hope someone takes up the challenge :)

Kitbash an Estes Spaceship One 18mm. Up it to 24 mm if needed.

Otherwise just hack some balsa nose and tail cones on a scratcher. Look for the right light bulb package at the hardware store, Cut the head off the parachute guy you had as a kid.

Put in some nose weight and a composite motor. Calm day and a nice long rod or rail.

I have an SS1-derived spaceship that is pretty close to the X-12. Easy to make fly on a D12 or composite. The paint job is not so easy. My scheme is cheaply derived from SS1 decals. Pods and cockpit are from xmas ornaments.

X12 Moon Rocket is actually very achievable. Cut down PS2 Trajector.

True. It does look like a shorty Trajector. I don't think you could cut a Trajectory down that short and still have room for a recovery system, but it is an intriguing idea. I actually like the Trajector a lot as a stock kit and decal set, but I guess there are some very cool wraps and decals you can get that really kick it up a notch.

Kitbash an Estes Spaceship One 18mm. Up it to 24 mm if needed.

Otherwise just hack some balsa nose and tail cones on a scratcher. Look for the right light bulb package at the hardware store, Cut the head off the parachute guy you had as a kid.

Put in some nose weight and a composite motor. Calm day and a nice long rod or rail.

Some great ideas! I'm actually thinking in terms of something a bit bigger...

I have an SS1-derived spaceship that is pretty close to the X-12. Easy to make fly on a D12 or composite. The paint job is not so easy. My scheme is cheaply derived from SS1 decals. Pods and cockpit are from xmas ornaments.

Cool! Any pics?

Back