KNO3 Sugar Engine Advice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EliTheClasher

Reaction score
Hey all!

Just getting into model rocketry and I am considering making a rocket during my summer vacation. In a couple Youtube videos the creators cook the KNO3-sugar rocket fuel, but in others they don't. Is there a benefit to cooking it or will cooking it increase thrust? I had thought it only allowed to put in additives like rust or something to boost the power but I wasn't 100%.

Also wondering how viable it is to create a hovering rocket by adding baking powder into the fuel at increasing amounts as the engine burns. This seems pretty advanced but a fun challenge.

Thanks for your advice!

Forum rules require that we do not discuss formulas outside the research forum. There's a link there to sign up for it.

As a general suggestion, please be careful with this stuff. Even sugar motors can be very dangerous. Your questions indicate to me you need to do a lot of reading before you are ready to attempt building a rocket motor safely. I know some YouTube videos make it look easy, but, frankly, they got lucky. I've seen some use the same coffee grinder for the fuel and the oxidizer, that's a very bad idea.

No, you can't make a hovering rocket that way. It would be unstable and want to lean, then fly in random directions. Hovering rockets need directed thrust, this in turn requires electronic stabilization.

Listen to ttabbal. But don't throw the proverbial baby out with the bath water. Buy a rocket kit and some motors from Estes or Aerotech. Build it and fly it. Better yet, find a rocketry club near you and attend one of their launches. You'll love it!

Well 10 pounds of potassium nitrate I ordered are going somewhere ;) Also I have a safe launch location away from people/buildings as well as a shield.

Here my recipes. I have one with maple syrup , but you need to be Canadian citizen

1 cup (250 ml) 35% heavy cream
1 cup (210 g) sugar
1 cup (240 g) lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup (125 ml) eagle brand condensate milk
2 tbsp (30 ml) corn syrup
You stir until it boil lightly, then you put the pan in cold water continue to stir until it get very hard to stir and then you put on a mold , wait it get hard cut in piece and don't eat to much.

You're trying to learn at least three new things at once here.

First, I'd get used to flying high power rockets with commercial motors in the size you'd like to be making sugar motors.

Second, I'd learn how to electronically deploy recovery gear and practice that with commercial motors.

Then, I'd move in to making your own motors.

Trying to do too too many new things at once usually leading to stacking failures.

Enjoy!

Here my recipes. I have one with maple syrup , but you need to be Canadian citizen

1 cup (250 ml) 35% heavy cream
1 cup (210 g) sugar
1 cup (240 g) lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup (125 ml) eagle brand condensate milk
2 tbsp (30 ml) corn syrup
You stir until it boil lightly, then you put the pan in cold water continue to stir until it get very hard to stir and then you put on a mold , wait it get hard cut in piece and don't eat to much.

Hard tack? caramels?

Back