A lesson learned...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
On Sunday some of my brothers & I went to the local park to fly a rocket, the Estes Free-Fall. I loaded up a A8-3 in it. It lifted off the pad slowly, and went to about 75-100 feet. A very under powered flight. I now know NOT to fly it on a A8 motor again. Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_BlIuKMp6M&feature=youtu.be
Have you guys had similar experiences with this rocket flying on a A8?IMG_4291[1].PNGIMG_4300[1].PNGIMG_4287[1].PNG IMG_4288[1].PNG
Thanks,

I haven't flown this rocket in particular but considering the recommended minimum is a B4-2, I wouldn't have tried an A8-3. I say that now, but over a year ago I would have probably done the same thing.

Two of my early underpowered launches from Christmas Day 2015:

Needs a C6-3 or higher, I went with a B6-4.
[youtube]PD2mOvYaP2o[/youtube]

Needed a B6-2 or higher, I went with A8-3.
[youtube]mUip7G1Nxps[/youtube]

Estimated weight for the Free Fall is 2.5 oz. An A8-3 has an average thrust of 3.2 N. That rocket needs a thrust of at least 4 N.

Well those pictures show a very straight boost which is almost always a good thing. Any wind at all usually sends an underpowered rocket sideways right off the launch rod. I would suggest paying attention to the recommended motors and the maximum liftoff weights for your model. As your experience grows you'll be able to make educated deviations.

2017_05_23_15_50_26_001330_Freefall.png 2017_05_23_15_55_45_Estes_2016_Catalog.png

All that said your pictures show a stable low and slow flight. Do you have enough room on that field for safe recovery of higher altitude flights ?

Well those pictures show a very straight boost which is almost always a good thing. Any wind at all usually sends an underpowered rocket sideways right off the launch rod. I would suggest paying attention to the recommended motors and the maximum liftoff weights for your model. As your experience grows you'll be able to make educated deviations.

View attachment 320666 View attachment 320667

All that said your pictures show a stable low and slow flight. Do you have enough room on that field for safe recovery of higher altitude flights ?

Yeah, It's a soccer field.
Thanks,

So you can't follow the directions from a commercial kit to fly it safely, but you are going to turn out kits of your own?
Did you take this opportunity to test fly one of your patriot kits?

Young lad, you have a LOT to learn about rocketry!

I haven't flown this rocket in particular but considering the recommended minimum is a B4-2, I wouldn't have tried an A8-3. I say that now, but over a year ago I would have probably done the same thing.

Two of my early underpowered launches from Christmas Day 2015:

Needs a C6-3 or higher, I went with a B6-4.
[youtube]PD2mOvYaP2o[/youtube]

Been there, done that. It was entertaining, however!

Back