Happy ending

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
Back in December 2016 in the late afternoon an Bared Owl flew into the side of my drivers door on my SUV.
Not knowing what had hit me I went back to see an owl laying in the road and almost getting run over.
I took a large white towel and wrapped the bird up in it and placed it in the rear of my SUV and hoped it didn't come around
and start a big ruckus

I got in touch with the local wildlife agent and the Owl was taken to a rehab clinic for wildlife .

The Owl was nicked named " Halifax " as he was from Halifax County NC

The Owl did lose sight in 1 eye as a result of the impact.

This past April the Owl was deemed ok to be released back into the wild

The photos attached are of "Halifax" in rehab and of him being released by the Wildlife Agent

Enjoy !

Bobby

IMG-20161202-00110.jpg

IMG-20161202-00108.jpg

HALIFAX.jpg

Glad you took the time
A one eyed owl? Sounds like a good name for a pub, or a great short story title.

Glad you rescued Halifax. I worry that having just one eye will make depth perception difficult or impossible for Halifax when hunting or flying/landing etc.

Now that's a feel good story! I bet he'll be just fine with only one eye. Animals and kids are amazingly adaptable to injuries.

This is great. Glad to see someone put the effort and time in to help another life........

I remember a story a farmer told me that his family "befriended" a barn owl by providing it food and shelter in their barn. It repaid the family but keeping watch over their farm. Family members and pets could go about and do their business but the thankful owl would come out of its barn abode and "swoop" down on any strangers that showed up. Had to tell people who came to visit to wait until one of them came out of the house. The female owl wasn't a pet and she could come and go as she pleased. Raised several broods of owlets before eventually moving on. Animals can surprise you.

That was a very nice gesture to stop, provide aid and get the injured owl to the proper authorities to provide care.

I'm reminded of a local, licensed park that rehabilitates animals and they nursed a Great Horned Owl back to health and tried to release it. It had become so
habituated to humans that after it was released, it hung around the park and would just as likely land and help itself to a picnicking family's fried chicken much to
the family's dismay. The park petitioned the authorities to keep the bird and he acted as an owl "ambassador" to the public. Was really weird because I believe some raptors are high strung and this guy was cool, calm and collected when sitting on the keepers arm out in the open and people coming right up to get a
close look. Didn't irritate the owl at all. Kurt

Very kind of you. Thank you for taking the time and sharing this.

Tinker

Thank you for saving him. If the wildlife rehab folks weren't sure he would be fine in the wild, he would have ended up in a zoo or raptor program.

A friend of mine rehabbed redtail hawks for a while in Minnesota. A family with a husky pup moved in next door. The husky saw one of the hawks standing on the grass and thought it would be fun to chase, like a really big pigeon. The hawk looked at the little dog, reached out a talon, grabbed his nose, held for a moment, and let the dog go. The dog did not bother hawks again.

Large birds are capable of recognizing human faces according to a study done back east with crows.

Since learning about that I have made it a practice to talk to crows. Sometimes they answer back but I have no clue what they are saying. Only that it's not their DANGER warning. That's a good thing.

Back