• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

54mm tubes for sale. 1050, 1400, 1750, 2550 pricing from $15-28

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are people who would do this. I am not one of them. :)

Never did an M; but burned a Kosdon L1860 Fast with a masking tape ring. Have one more to burn; will do it again at Bong one of these days!:)

Have one more to burn; will do it again at Bong one of these days!:)

I trust you to do this, I don't trust myself :)

BTW- Preston sold me one of his AMW 390 cases. I don't have any AMW loads, but it's definitely getting used as an EX case!

I trust you to do this, I don't trust myself :)

BTW- Preston sold me one of his AMW 390 cases. I don't have any AMW loads, but it's definitely getting used as an EX case!

Excellent! If you're ever at a launch with the AMW trailer, they DO have a few AMW 38 loads left....

otherwise right on, they make GREAT ex hardware!

I'll respectfully maintain my original statement. Kosdon TRM did not have external thrust rings, true! And I really don't want any slugs feasting on your eyeballs!:cool: But...

AMW made only two 38mm cases, the 390 (3G) and the 640 (5G). They were based on Frank's hardware; I have used the AMW I220SK and I315Sk in clusters using a mix of AMW and Kosdon 390 and 640 cases. The bulkheads and nozzles are different; though the noz throats are the same. Have used them interchangeably for years; maybe the case length is different, but the internal snap ring to snap ring distance is the same.

Kosdon TRM: all my gold hardware came from Frank. Some purchased second hand, but I recall very few gold anodized cases coming from Kosdon East (Paul R. and friends)...I remember a couple of matte gold finish 75-6000 cases around LDRS 19 when Paul started flying color propellant, which as you mentioned became AMW. Everything I got from Frank (38,54, 2.5", 4",) has been the glossy gold. Paul didn't want to deal with motor ejection delays; the 38 loads didn't come until much later in the AMW lineage. He was right; never saw an AMW 54-98 Cato, but I personally experienced a few and Paul was helpful.

Regarding the CTI/AMW merger, I wouldn't say AMW sold the recipes to CTI; and I'd bet a few reloads that AMW/Pro-X reloads are CTI formulas instead of AMW formulas. They have a completely different look/feel/smell. Off memory: Tamed Tiger = CTI Classic. Scalded Tiger =CTI White Thunder. Black Bear = Smoky Sam, Pro X Red Rhino = CTI red Lightning, Blue Baboon = Blue Streak, etc. CTI had the colors in production before the merger, the only "new" propellant to spawn was Skidmark; a welcome addition to the CTI family! Though insiders swear that CTI skid = AMW skid, there were changes for processing, material availability, etc; they certainly don't burn the same.

That's enough for now I think; I miss Frank and I miss Paul. Though I really enjoy Aerotech, CTI, and Loki, AMW and Kosdon were always my favorites; if nothing else because they were different (and serve/d well for EX!). Great stuff regardless! Between Preston N. and I, a lot of Kosdon and AMW has been burned in the Midwest; and we're far from done burning our stash yet!

-Eric-

I don't remember it this way. Cti had Smokey Sam and classic prior to the merge, while Amw had the colors; And scalded tiger is vmax. We flew a few J1365 when they came out, and they look like the J1520 more than the J760.

I don't remember it this way. Cti had Smokey Sam and classic prior to the merge, while Amw had the colors; And scalded tiger is vmax. We flew a few J1365 when they came out, and they look like the J1520 more than the J760.

Doh, sorry for the mistake on the scalded....never actually flew a "Scalded Tiger" load, I'm foggy there!

About the lineage, hmmm. I'm fairly certain that CTI colors are not AMW formulas; no problem if people disagree, it's just my belief. The only evidence I have other than memory is that I have it in my flight log that I flew a demo 38-6G CTI J340 Red in Jan. 2006, it eventually was certified as the J410 Red Lightning. The merger was announced in August 2007. Maybe there was sharing going on well before the merger...who knows. Dr. J, where are you, bud?

I really like CTI propellants, but I'm telling you, those aren't genuine AMW color formulas we're burning coming from the CTI factory. :cool:

Clearly the answer to this discussion is for someone to give me both old AMW loads and the corresponding new loads from CTI, and let me fly both and be the judge. That sounds fair, right? :)

I bought 2 of these from Gary, they were so nice that I then bought 8 more. I highly recommend them for this price. Great deal!

I'm sure it was covered already, but just wanted to repeat. You need Loki internals for a Loki load no matter what case you use. 54 and 75 respectively. Cases are the same, internals not so much.

Back