RAIS-style Apollo Command/Service Module

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I lost the discussion about the idea of a stubby/fat version of a RAIS-style finless rocket so I just posted a new thread.

I flew my finless Apollo Command/Service Module today. The first flight on a C11-3 was so short that I didn't think it had time to go unstable...so I put in a D12-3. It's flight path was with the wind and was quite serpentine. It did generally go upward without any loops. I have seen this type of behaviour on saucer-like rockets although the frequency of their wobble is higher.

A phone camera/glitch made me miss the flight and will report back if a video shows up.

20170521_150759.jpg

Here are my related blog posts if you want to see how it was built. https://rocketdungeon.blogspot.com/search/label/My Projects - Apollo Command/Service Module finless

Very Cool! Great Job! Trust in thrust. Maybe an E-18 with a tad of nose weight in lower wind?

It went up, it came down and can fly again. What more can an oddroc-eteer ask for?

I was just building on Ken's original idea. But now I don't remember what said building-on was. Maybe the method of ducting. Oh well, the answer is buried in his thread.

+1 on the added motor and lower wind. Nose weight is not possible as the small cone is already full.

Streamers and skeletons would help. One thing I've figured out from my meager experiments is that rockets that rely on airflow tend to like a lot of it. A faster motor should also help.

One thing I've figured out from my meager experiments is that rockets that rely on airflow tend to like a lot of it. A faster motor should also help.

Neat! Would more nose weight help? At some point, it would approach a bottle rocket in terms of weight distribution and would continue to coast after burnout (something saucers lack). Just wondering...

Great job!!! :)

Nose weight would help but unless I get some depleted uranium and build a new cone, I can't make it heavier. Air speed I can try to control.

More weight in the confined space of the club, the farther the ball will go. The more weight in the confined space of the nosecone, the straighter the rocket will fly. I used it in the DO 217N and it worked great. Just pour in and seal as desired. Kind of expensive but can be reused by the oddroc-eteer desperate for nose weight in a tiny space. Can't get any denser w/o depleted uranium!

It seems pretty expensive for a silly rocket whose fins are on the inside. I'm glad you turned me on to its existence as you never know what the next oddity will require.

Wow! Powdered tungsten, about 70% denser than lead and less toxic. I still wouldn't trust a powdered metal though...
Learned something new. Thanks! :)

Wow! Powdered tungsten, about 70% denser than lead and less toxic. I still wouldn't trust a powdered metal though...
Learned something new. Thanks! :)
Some more facts: it's usually about 97% tungsten, the rest copper or iron.

Fishing weights come in many shapes and sizes, and pack tighter / are denser than loose powder.

On my to-do list: see if I can suspend tungsten in a lead matrix, then epoxy over it.

Trivia: they make a tungsten clay for pinewood.

Wow! Awesome build! :clap:

Great to hear that it launced on a D12...I think I tried that in my early prototype, but the motor ended up being too heavy (moved the CG too far aft) and it was unstable and smashed it's face into the ice. I then shelved it to focus more on the smaller less "squatty" (and more stable) RAIS rockets. I may revisit it one day and perhaps use 18mm D reloads, bigger intakes (or ones like yours) and maybe some spin to stabilize.

I would consider this design to be somewhat of a "moonshot" for us to get working. ;)

Glad to see you back, hope you get to build some new stuff! I found am F44 in my stash so I'll give that a try next time.

Back