R.I.P. Mega Der Red Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you post the Rocksim file?
Ok, here it is. A few notes on the file:
  1. It is not complete because the build is in progress and I account for all masses (epoxy, etc.) as I build the rocket
  2. I've added a "mock drogue" to simulate the drag effect of using Chute Release
  3. Component weights and dimensions are as-found, with minor adjustments as I build the rocket - sanding, trimming, drilling holes, etc.

Build status: The NC & coupler assembly is completed, and I have just epoxied the MMT & fwd CR to the airframe in preparation for installing the fins (will need tab depths trimmed) with internal fillets.

Feel free to ask questions or comment...

View attachment Red FiberMax_MDZ_54mm.rkt

What I have done in the past with good success is use the dremel with sanding disks stacked to appropriate thickness. Short work of the slots.... or one of the dremel bits of the correct thickness....

Merely a suggestion.

Later!

--Coop

If you have OR, can you post the OR file for that? When I try to open the RS file, I get an I/O error.

Rocksim imports to OR are not always seamless. I've experienced issues with OR imports from RS. I'm not an OR user so I can't begin to suggest what to look for. What I do know is the RS file I posted works well with my RS ver 9. Sorry that I can not help beyond that...

Just curious what you had to remove to get the RKT file to load in OR?

I removed the motor simulations and all but the basic components (I typically just use a mass override to get the correct final weight). It then loaded without the error. I just went back to the original and just deleted the motor sims and it loads on openrocket (it does give an error about spill holes not being supported on the parachute).

This the file without the sim flights:

View attachment Red FiberMax_MDZ_54mm.rkt

Last edited:
I just finished making a RockSim model of this AMW kit adding in the recovery components I used in my Estes MDRM. Without any nose weight, and a 3 grain motor the SM comes out at ~1.3 (pad weight near 6.8 lbs). So be mindful of how much weight is added to the aft end. FWIW, I don't intend to make this kit a DD or add nose weight

The fins are smaller on each dimension than the Estes MDRM. The nose cone is about 2" longer. The body tube is different but I don't recall the factor. Add the 1" switch band too... I RocSimmed mine with a fair bit of mass override.

18815007_10154365351915806_2343978466402346561_o.jpg

Ordered my FiberMAX this morning. Ships today for delivery on Saturday !:w:

Der Öyster Max.rkt
Still a work in progress but masses and dimensions should be pretty good.

Just kill the 'create an account' box to skip the hoopla. If you do want to get an account, say phlash1(at)gmail.com referred you so I can get some extra space...

FWIW, I offer some notes from my AMW Red Max rocket build:
  1. As-built, without any nose weight, my (no motor) rocket weighs 2,214g; it has a SM of 1.70. It reduces to 1.23 with a 1G P54 & 1.16 with a 2g P54 motor.
  2. Using CTI 54mm motors, you may find it necessary to remove ~0.7g of BP from the stock 2.0g charge - the initial 2.0g separation test jerked the rocket forward 15 ft.
  3. Because of the loose NC coupler fit I used two 4-40 nylon shear screws
  4. Used a 2-part SC: 20' Onebadhawk kevlar & 10' nylon (both 1/2")
  5. Will use a 42" FC elliptical chute with Chute Release for recovery

Last edited:
Has anyone finished their AMW FiberMax yet? Any with the Stickershock decals? I finished my internal and external fillets today.

Mine is mostly done - I've got to mount the bulkplate and nose hardware then fit the rivets. I'm still designing the art.

Is everyone doing this single deploy? Has anyone tried to build it HED yet?

I'm going to be addressing (building) the nose cone/switchband/HED combo for a buddy of mine. He will build the booster once the nose cone and electronics are all ready to rock. I'm assuming these nose cones don't have a threaded tip, so I may need to drop in a 38mm or 54mm bulkhead plate for shock cord connection at the top. I have not received the parts yet, how much nose weight do these things need, 7-9 oz or so? I'm not going to run a sim until I have parts in hand. :)

I didn't add any weight to the nose. I've got a couple beefy chutes and I'll attach the chute right to the eye bolt in the NC bulkplate. With the motors I plan on using (54mm, one grain CTI and AT) it won't have any problems with stability.

I'm going to be addressing (building) the nose cone/switchband/HED combo for a buddy of mine. He will build the booster once the nose cone and electronics are all ready to rock. I'm assuming these nose cones don't have a threaded tip, so I may need to drop in a 38mm or 54mm bulkhead plate for shock cord connection at the top. I have not received the parts yet, how much nose weight do these things need, 7-9 oz or so? I'm not going to run a sim until I have parts in hand. :)

Yeah, there is no removable tip. Same issue with MadCow selling the Formula 75s now with a switchband and calling them dual deploy. Have to figure out how/where to attach the nose cone lanyard. I'm thinking that I'm going to be using a smaller, maybe 38mm, bulkhead way up by the tip and setting it in with RocketPoxy and permanently mounting a stainless welded eye through the hole in the bulkhead. That should put enough weight forward so that it's stable single or dual deploy on any 1 or 2 grain 54mm motor (at least that's what my sim says).

If that doesn't prove worthy, I'll do it as a nose blow and JLCR it for easy DD without HED.

With a chute release, there's really no call for the band and AV Bay. I haven't committed yet but I'm leaning this way

Back