R.I.P. Mega Der Red Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm going to try to build HED into this thing, just because I've never done it before. I agree that a Kevlar loop in the nose should do the trick.

But flying HED also limits the size of motors that can be used. And I love flying with my JLCR. Decisions, decisions....

As long as I make the NC-coupler joint removable I can leave the guts of the AV bay out when I want to fly longer motors.

I think I'm going to try to build HED into this thing, just because I've never done it before. I agree that a Kevlar loop in the nose should do the trick.

But flying HED also limits the size of motors that can be used. And I love flying with my JLCR. Decisions, decisions....

As long as I make the NC-coupler joint removable I can leave the guts of the AV bay out when I want to fly longer motors.

The perfect solution would be to buy another one. One for HED and the other to build stock

I picked one of the Fiber Max's from AMW at last weeks MDRA Launch, Robert and Gloria were unpacking them on the boxes of parts and putting the kits together. I think its going to be a very good selling kit for them.

I picked one of the Fiber Max's from AMW at last weeks MDRA Launch, Robert and Gloria were unpacking them on the boxes of parts and putting the kits together. I think its going to be a very good selling kit for them.

I think you're right. The kit looks great, the NC is awesome and now I can keep my Estes MDRM in the package. I think the build will start next week after we get back from MMWP. I'll need to place an order with Stickershock!

Sure, but who makes it? :p

Good question. I'm pretty sure it's a guy named Eddy. You know....that guy! :wink:

As to where they get their fiberglass? That's a good question. I've only seen their kits in bags (until my Fiber Max gets here Tuesday), but the colors from online photos and some of the measurements are deceptively similar to the 'other' multi color G12 stuff that's out there.

Someone more 'in the know' would have to chime in.

AMW had the kits made and are stocking them? The nose cones are wound fiberglass with an epoxy tip that is turned to blunt the nose.

For the those who are MDRM puriest at heart, the nose is 1" longer than the original to give some parallel tube for the coupler slide in to, and the body tube is about 1/4" longer. If you include the switch band the Fiber Max is 2-1/4" longer than the original.

Last edited:
While I'm pleased that AWM offers this MDRM style kit, I'm quite disappointed that the BT fin slots were not cut properly on my kit. The lengths are ~1/16" too short and the openings are ~1/32" too small. It's going to take a lot of sanding in thin openings to get the fins to fit. Certainly someone never test-fit the fins in the production stage...

What have others found on their kits?

While I'm pleased that AWM offers this MDRM style kit, I'm quite disappointed that the BT fin slots were not cut properly on my kit. The lengths are ~1/16" too short and the openings are ~1/32" too small. It's going to take a lot of sanding in thin openings to get the fins to fit. Certainly someone never test-fit the fins in the production stage...

My fins fit but they are little tight. I will likely open them up a bit. A couple of us are thinking about putting balsa skins on the fins to get close to the thickness of the original.

I have to tell ya, after comparing several of the 'other guys' kits with 3/32 fins.......only the kits from Wildman actually has slots that don't need to be opened with a file.

With RARE exception, fiberglass kits are true 'builders' kits.

My slots are too small too. But like Banzai said, I'm not too surprised by that. I was planning to build a jig for my router to open up the slots for a 3" project that I'm piecing together. I'll make it size adjustable so I can use it for this build too.

A couple of us are thinking about putting balsa skins on the fins to get close to the thickness of the original.
I just finished making a RockSim model of this AMW kit adding in the recovery components I used in my Estes MDRM. Without any nose weight, and a 3 grain motor the SM comes out at ~1.3 (pad weight near 6.8 lbs). So be mindful of how much weight is added to the aft end. FWIW, I don't intend to make this kit a DD or add nose weight

OK, N00b question: What does HED stand for? I am guessing *something* electronic deployment? Is there a reason it inhibits the use of longer motors? Would the AV bay be taking up space which would normally be empty?

HED = Head End Deployment (I think). The shoulder of the nose cone acts as the AV bay. The drogue goes under the AV bay (like usual) and the main is stored in the nose cone. The nose cone is attached to the coupler/bay with shear pins. Check out a build thread for the Wildman Punisher. It's the classic HED kit.

Because this kit is relatively short and fat, if one wants to use a long motor, the casing would probably extend into the nose cone. That can be done, but not if there are bulkheads for the AV bay. So HED is out for a motor longer than 3 grains.

Don't use sandpaper; use a file. Shouldn't take long.

Mine is on its way... :)

I plan on ordering one today. I built the Estes PSII kit but have only flown it once, and that was before painting it and applying decals. The FG version is something that I can fly and enjoy without the anxiety of having it damaged by "range rash." I think I will leave the fins stock black and print (ALPS) the decals for the fins in an inverse color scheme.

I just finished making a RockSim model of this AMW kit adding in the recovery components I used in my Estes MDRM. Without any nose weight, and a 3 grain motor the SM comes out at ~1.3 (pad weight near 6.8 lbs). So be mindful of how much weight is added to the aft end. FWIW, I don't intend to make this kit a DD or add nose weight

Can you post the Rocksim file?

Back