LDRS 37

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wildman’s is going to sweeten the pot for the Demon 150 drag race.
The winner will be the one with the highest reported altitude verified buy the drag race judge.(without breaking the waiver).
The winner will receive a new M 2500 t

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

The range has been laid out with consideration to minimum distances to allow loading of one rack while launching from another. For the most part. Some L motors may be asked to go to the farther cell, space allowing. But the bigger drag races will require closing the entire range.

At BALLS the closest pads are at 500’. It’s not as bad as it sounds, a lot less goes into parking area and flights are easier to see. Not looking straight up.

M

At BALLS the closest pads are at 500’. It’s not as bad as it sounds, a lot less goes into parking area and flights are easier to see. Not looking straight up.

M

I'm with Mark on that.

As I mentioned in other threads, the farther away the rockets are placed in venues where some "dicey" projects might fly, the safer it can be for all with longer reaction times.

That said, I was once out recovering a pretty long distance away from the flight line of one of my projects with a very clear blue sky and I just happened to glance at the pads with the muffled voice of the announcer reaching a higher pitch during the countdown. One of them "short" rockets went up, cocked sideways and proceeded on an arc to the south away from everyone including me. Perfectly safe but cockeyed. The interesting thing to me was with the relatively dark blue sky and my long distance away, I was able to visually "lock" my eyes to the rocket and follow it very easily as it proceeded away for quite some time. I don't know what kind of motor but it was short burn with very little smoke trail. Was a launch where Research motors can be interspersed without issue so it could'a been one of those. I doubt people up close could appreciate it (or visually track it) as I did. O.k., it was not multi-mach but was moving out at a fast clip sort'a like my first flight of a Wildman Jart with a 29mm motor. Adding "more" nose weight fixed that one!

Flying "proven" rockets at the mandated distances is perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned but "standing back" can sometimes yield an interesting point of view.

Kurt Savegnago

I prefer being closer to H and I launches too, but this setup is to accommodate some larger motors as well. I've attended TCC launches, and if this is the standard setup, it's actually not a far as it sounds.

Here is some info and the signup page for the Avalanche Drag Race event: https://ldrs37.org/ldrs37-avalanche-competition/

That should be a pretty cool competition! This competition features the Madcow Avalanche, which you can get for the special LDRS37 price of $99.95 right now. One heat for 54mm motors and one for 75mm. One winner in each heat.

And here is info and the signup page for the Demon Drag Race! https://ldrs37.org/ldrs37-demon-dragrace/ It looks like 6 are signed up so far and 2 spots remaining. This will be epic!

I signed up for the Avalanche launch competition. Any word on vender sponsors for competitions? Eric R. had mentioned a few more comps that have no sign up yet. Monkey Drop, Crayon Race, Nike Smoke race. Any others??

I signed up for the Avalanche launch competition. Any word on vender sponsors for competitions? Eric R. had mentioned a few more comps that have no sign up yet. Monkey Drop, Crayon Race, Nike Smoke race. Any others??

I’m not sure the status of these other events. I think they have been waiting on vendors to step up and sponsor them in some way. I’m going out of town for a week, so I can’t set it up now, but when I get back next week, I’ll check in on the Monkey Drop. That was my proposal. I don’t think it really needs sponsorship or a prize — it’s more of a spectacle than a competition in my mind. If I provide the barrel o’ monkeys, then I’m sort of sponsoring it myself, right?

I’m not sure the status of these other events. I think they have been waiting on vendors to step up and sponsor them in some way. I’m going out of town for a week, so I can’t set it up now, but when I get back next week, I’ll check in on the Monkey Drop. That was my proposal. I don’t think it really needs sponsorship or a prize — it’s more of a spectacle than a competition in my mind. If I provide the barrel o’ monkeys, then I’m sort of sponsoring it myself, right?
I think the best way to sponsor an event is offering discounts like what Madcow did with the Avalanche. I would also like to thank Wildman for the Demon race. I don't know if Aerotech was involved in that but they are a great sponsor too. I think Discount Rocketry could sponsor the Crayon Race. They sell a Crayon kit. Either way I think it is just plain fun to be involved in the Different competitions even if the prize is bragging rights. I think we would all agree that rockets are more fun when we fly together.

Folks you heard it straight from the Wildman that there will be special deals at the launch. Thanks Wildman!

I'm signed up for LDRS37. I have something going on Friday night so I won't be driving down from Mountain View until early Saturday morning. The family doesn't want to go so I'll be really sad launching rockets without any distractions. I'll probably sleep in my Jeep so I don't have to set up a tent. Looks like it's a good idea to bring water, small table, chair, shade canopy, rockets and everything related. But is there anything else commonly overlooked that a first timer would forget? I think I'll be going for my L2 cert flight there. And I'm going for the Madcow Avalanche drag race, which might be my L2. I'd like to sign up for range duty, maybe on Sunday. Looks like I can do that for the low power. Any advice on that?

I'm signed up for LDRS37. I have something going on Friday night so I won't be driving down from Mountain View until early Saturday morning. The family doesn't want to go so I'll be really sad launching rockets without any distractions. I'll probably sleep in my Jeep so I don't have to set up a tent. Looks like it's a good idea to bring water, small table, chair, shade canopy, rockets and everything related. But is there anything else commonly overlooked that a first timer would forget? I think I'll be going for my L2 cert flight there. And I'm going for the Madcow Avalanche drag race, which might be my L2. I'd like to sign up for range duty, maybe on Sunday. Looks like I can do that for the low power. Any advice on that?

When you make your checklist, don't forget some cash for Taco Tren, baby wipes, and trash bags (t's expected that everyone takes their trash home with them.)

I'm pretty stoked about the 3Kn200 contest. How will this work exactly? Do you fly any time and then someone times your flight and records your altitude just like a TARC flight?

What's the Monkey Drop?

I'm loving all the contests - especially ones that those of us with the non-large and dangerous rocket ships can participate in.

I ordered the Avalanche kit (and had it 2 days later!) but not sure if I'll have it built in time. Still need to do my L2 cert flight (took written test this past weekend). Hey maybe I'll go for it and try my cert flight at the drag race.

For the 3Kn200 contest when I have done it before at Aeropac it was fly on your own. I don't see it in the calendar. You use an altimeter like Altimeter Two from Jolly Logic to record data. If you don't have one Gene may loan you one or you can talk to the LCO to announce you want to borrow one.

I'm pretty stoked about the 3Kn200 contest. How will this work exactly? Do you fly any time and then someone times your flight and records your altitude just like a TARC flight?

What's the Monkey Drop?

I'm loving all the contests - especially ones that those of us with the non-large and dangerous rocket ships can participate in.

I ordered the Avalanche kit (and had it 2 days later!) but not sure if I'll have it built in time. Still need to do my L2 cert flight (took written test this past weekend). Hey maybe I'll go for it and try my cert flight at the drag race.

I just sent the deets about the Mass Monkey Loft to the club president. He'll review it and let me know if it's approved as proposed and then post a description and sign-up page to the site. In a nutshell, it's a drag-race-style mass launch of monkeys in large diameter rockets, with a spot landing competition thrown in for fun! I have a vision of a sky full of parachuting monkeys. If I can see that, then my life will be complete! Stay tuned for the details!

The last day to prergester is April 21. Save money and time and register now.

APE Mass Monkey Loft is a GO!

Monkey-in-flight-cropped.jpg

Attebery Performance Engineering is proud to bring the APE Mass Monkey Loft to LDRS 37!

• The APE Mass Monkey Loft is a drag-race style mass launch of monkeys flown in large diameter rockets, and it includes a spot-landing competition.
  • A banana landing target will be placed in the field, and the monkey that lands closest to the banana in each heat will win an Attebery Performance Engineering Head End Altimeter Bay for 7.5" Nose Cones.
  • Monkeys must return safely to earth on a separate parachute from the rocket.
  • There will be two heats, one for H class motors, and one for I class motors. And there will two winners, one for each heat.
  • The APE Mass Monkey Loft will be held at LDRS 37 on Friday, May 18, at 1pm.

For details about the APE Mass Monkey Loft, including how to receive your FREE MONKEY, and to sign up, see the signup page at LDRS37.

(On a personal note, this a project near and dear to my heart. I have a vision of a sky filled with parachuting monkeys. Please help me make this vision a reality!)

APE Mass Monkey Loft is a GO!

View attachment 343048

Attebery Performance Engineering is proud to bring the APE Mass Monkey Loft to LDRS 37!

• The APE Mass Monkey Loft is a drag-race style mass launch of monkeys flown in large diameter rockets, and it includes a spot-landing competition.
  • A banana landing target will be placed in the field, and the monkey that lands closest to the banana in each heat will win an Attebery Performance Engineering Head End Altimeter Bay for 7.5" Nose Cones.
  • Monkeys must return safely to earth on a separate parachute from the rocket.
  • There will be two heats, one for H class motors, and one for I class motors. And there will two winners, one for each heat.
  • The APE Mass Monkey Loft will be held at LDRS 37 on Friday, May 18, at 1pm.

For details about the APE Mass Monkey Loft, including how to receive your FREE MONKEY, and to sign up, see the signup page at LDRS37.

(On a personal note, this a project near and dear to my heart. I have a vision of a sky filled with parachuting monkeys. Please help me make this vision a reality!)

The I motor heat is filling up fast! Only two spots left!

There are plenty of spots left for the H heat. When I did my first monkey flight, I did it on an H295, and it was great! Some people assume you can't fly something like a Warlock or Doorknob on an H motor, but you can if it has enough thrust. It just won't burn very long and won't go very high (around 500 or 600 feet), which is actually great for this kind of event, because you can clearly see the monkey bail out of the rocket at low altitude. Also, the rules and range setup will allow us too launch as many as 8 H motors at one time, while the I motors may need to be split into 2 salvos of 4 rockets each. So the H heat has the potential to be an epic number monkeys in the air at the same time! Do not fear the H motor! Pick something like an H295, H340, H399, H400, H410, H565 for CTI, or H283, H550, H669 for AT. (just remember to use electronics if you are using any of the crazy propellants that snuff out the delays! Remember, the lives of many monkeys are on the line!)

We need more fliers for the Crayon Drag Race Competition at LDRS!

crayon-rockets-1.jpg

I don’t personally own a Crayon rocket and won’t have one by the time of LDRS, so I can’t sign up. But I’d love to see more fliers in this race.

LDRS will have some great drag races, but the epic, earth-shattering Demon, Nike Smoke, and Avalanche races will all be launched from the pads that are further away. The Crayon race is all H motors, so it can be at the 300 foot pads and still launch 8 at a time. We need more fliers in the close-in drag races.

If you own a Crayon rocket and are going to LDRS, it is your civic duty to sign up!

https://ldrs37.org/ldrs37-crayon-competition/

Check out this cool video the TCC club put together.

[video=youtube;Ypua4WNmxkQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypua4WNmxkQ[/video]

There more interesting videos and photos coming to the LDRS37 media page. https://ldrs37.org/media/

LDRS 37 On-line Pre-Registration Deadline is Tomorrow, April 21!

The last day for on-line pre-registration is April 21st (this Saturday). Save time and money by pre-registering NOW!

If you pre-register before the deadline, you will save $10 over the cost of on-site registration during the launch. Also you will save time at the launch, because your own personalized Duracard(TM) badge will be pre-printed and waiting for you at the registration table along with everything else you purchased from the LDRS37 online store -- Banquet tickets, T-Shirts, Hats, Stickers, etc.

After April 21st, the LDRS store will be offl-ine. You will still be able to attend the event and pay at the registration booth for event registration and merchandise, but why wait?

Pre-register now! https://ldrs37.org/shop/

Thirsty Barbarian, love the photo of the jumper. How do you attach the chute to the monkey? Do you make a harness?

Back