LDRS 37

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been in a building frenzy.

I bought my upscale Comet from LOC back in... what? February or March? Of course, it ends up I’m building it in a rush right before the launch. It’s in flyable condition now and in primer, so hopefully I can paint tomorrow. It won’t be the full elaborate sci-fi spaceship paint job I have planned, but it will have a layer of silver paint on it.

This rocket involved some new techniques for me, like glassing the fins and using epoxy with micro balloons for fillets, and I wanted to try out these materials and techniques before building the expansive rocket, so I actually built 4 rockets simultaneously over the last 2 weeks. (That’s too many at once, and I’m never doing it again.) I practiced glassing fins on an Argent. And I practiced epoxy fillets on an Ascender, Maxi Alpha 3, and the Argent. I’m glad I did the practice runs, and I learned a few things for the Comet build. These 3 practice rockets will give me some low-cost flights to mix in with the more expensive HPR launches. I’m going to be there for 5 days, so I need to stretch the motor budget!

I’ve also been getting ready for the Mass Monkey Loft! I have a dozen monkeys to give to monkey lofters, and a 5-foot banana to use as a spot landing target. If this doesn’t bring about the Planet of the Apes, I don’t know what will!

It's just a matter of perspective. For me, this is the last minute. Tomorrow we are packing all the rockets into the trailer, (hopefully) and leaving on Tuesday. I still have three more to get ready....

No, No, No! :no: When the range opens, it's time to FLY rockets, not build them.

I wish I was that prepared, but sometimes the range is the only place where I can just sit and work on a rocket. I admire your and your wife’s shared passion and ability to share rocketry as an avocation.

I wish I was that prepared, but sometimes the range is the only place where I can just sit and work on a rocket. I admire your and your wife’s shared passion and ability to share rocketry as an avocation.

My wife has been feeling like a “rocketry widow” the past 2 weeks. I’ve spent all my spare time building.

Updated alternative entertainment:

Woodward Park will be the site of the Grizzly Festeval Friday and Saturday. Avoid the area if you are not going to the festival, they are already putting up fences and it will be a mess to get around.

And don't forget the National parks, Yesemite, Kings Canyon and Sequia. Check the weather before starting.

Updated alternative entertainment:

Woodward Park will be the site of the Grizzly Festeval Friday and Saturday. Avoid the area if you are not going to the festival, they are already putting up fences and it will be a mess to get around.

An ironic celebration as the grizzly bear was intentionally hunted to extinction in California..

M

The Escape is packed to the max and ready to roll out Wed. Somehow I got a full camps worth of gear, a 7.5" HAWK and 3 smaller rockets inside. The Demon 150 is on the roof. Should be an interesting ride from Reno.
Be sure to stop by the camp for some great yard sale deals ( tubes hardware motors etc) and some Mach 1 Maple Bourbon (after the Demon Drag Race) or Mile High Apple Pie moonshine (Sat PM) if your inclined. Hope to meet some of you and see familiar faces again.

Still have a lot of prep work to do... But the Warloc is ready for the Monkey drop... Thanks Mark, it looks amazing.0514180424.jpeg0514180422.jpeg0514180423.jpeg

Have fun at LDRS everyone, and fly safe. Thanks to the fantastic TCC crew for all the planning and hard work that goes into hosting a large scale national launch.

(And please share photos for those of us that cannot be there!)

And we are flying, a little windy, clouds at 6000 feet. Should clear up later.

The Wildman is here.

And my trailer is several hundred pounds heavier! We got in a bunch of flights, including Tweety bird. Great boost with the L640, the I218’s kicked it and the I120’s sustained it to 5100 ft. Small brain fart on my part, didn’t tighten the quick link to the N/C, so it free fell from 1100 ft.and cracked the shoulder on landing. We will try a field repair so we can fly it again on Saturday.
TCC is putting on an awesome launch, and with the weather, we should get a huge crowd this weekend. If you are still on the fence, jump down and get here.

I’ve been very impressed with the organization that went into this event. It feels like everyone knows their job and just does it as if rehearsed. Congratulations to TCC and thanks!
Also many thanks to all the other really nice folks I met today.

And my trailer is several hundred pounds heavier! We got in a bunch of flights, including Tweety bird. Great boost with the L640, the I218’s kicked it and the I120’s sustained it to 5100 ft. Small brain fart on my part, didn’t tighten the quick link to the N/C, so it free fell from 1100 ft.and cracked the shoulder on landing. We will try a field repair so we can fly it again on Saturday.
TCC is putting on an awesome launch, and with the weather, we should get a huge crowd this weekend. If you are still on the fence, jump down and get here.

That was a lovely flight.

Frank

Small brain fart on my part, didn’t tighten the quick link to the N/C, so it free fell
I feel you there! I did the EXACT same thing on my high flight at LDRS36 last year. Hope you can fly again and sure glad to see yall have much better weather!

I've flown 20 RC rocket glider demo flights in three days and Rob Heil got a great shot of my scratch-built 7.5 inch Pershing 1 a that weighs 20 lb flying on an Aerotech K 535, it uses a rocket man chute and deployment bag and missile Works altimeter for deployment. I'm parked in vendor row right next to Buddy Michelson and it's been really fun hanging out and talking with him.

FB_IMG_1526615216431.jpg

Last edited:
I feel you there! I did the EXACT same thing on my high flight at LDRS36 last year. Hope you can fly again and sure glad to see yall have much better weather!

I have a quick link that is in my range box... I forgot to close it. It is bent open. However it did not open enough to let the slack slip off. Luckily the main came out at apogee, because the airframe was clinging onto the av bay due to lack of slack. If the dual deploy had worked as intended, the quick link probably would've come off and I would've had a motor section come in without any type of recovery device.

The bent-open quick link serves as a reminder to double check everything!!!

Ahhh, too bad I couldn't make it out this weekend.. :(

Too long of a drive for me, but you guys have fun! :)

Ben

Any rumors on where LDRS 38 will be? At least the candidate locations?

30 flights total for me this weekend, great italian dinner, now listening to Van Halen panama by the live band out in the sun, I never want to leave..

Last edited:
Back