LDRS 37

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I just say that LDRS 37 energized my interest in rocketry. Good folks. Good Fun. Feeling good.

Just got home from the BEST ROCKET LAUNCH EVER! Even the ten hour drive has not muted the buzz from this event. I flew every rocket I took, and Tweety Bird twice. One little mistake, a loose quick link on the N/C of Tweety Bird was the only flaw in the whole weekend. Standby for a "Reflections on LDRS 37" thread soon.

Just got home from the BEST ROCKET LAUNCH EVER! Even the ten hour drive has not muted the buzz from this event. I flew every rocket I took, and Tweety Bird twice. One little mistake, a loose quick link on the N/C of Tweety Bird was the only flaw in the whole weekend. Standby for a "Reflections on LDRS 37" thread soon.

It was very nice to finally meet you both!

Got home late last night and had a blast. I'm really pleased I had a chance to test my L3 bird on a K2050ST and a L1000W.

Lost my Wildman Punisher Sport on the night launch. Unpainted except for gray paint on the nose. Lights stuck with double tape and a row of lights attached with packing tape. Had my JL Chute Release too. Should still have the spent SU H115DM case in it. If anyone finds it, there's a monetary reward.

Thank you Tim the Wildman for coming out and supporting all of us. The Demon race was awesome. This launch was at least twice as large as any we've ever had at TCC. Everyone stepped up and helped out. It was like one big rocket family.

did anyone take pictures? Have not seen much at all. Maybe over the next few days they will be posted.

James called us as we were driving home and said he would create a drop box where we could stash pictures. I know there were a lot of cameras around, I got a few shots, but as usual, flying rockets were my priority.
I'm working on a thread (blog) about our adventure, will try to post up some pic's then. Most of mine were recovery shots, from the easy:
Wayne%20recovering%20Extreme.jpg

To the almost impossible:

Sharon%20recovering%20Tweety%20bird.jpg

I had a great time. I got to meet a bunch of people that I had talked to online but never met face to face.

I flew my 3" Saab to ~6k on a CTI J355 Red on Thursday. I picked it up a mile SE of the pads in a plowed field.

The Monkey Loft was a success. We had 8 participants in the I class on Friday and Thirsty won the closest to the pad award. On Saturday we had 3 participants in the mixed H/I class and Eric Hamilton won. It was bittersweet for me though. I lost my Doorknob in the wheat. I saw it land but couldn't find it. I knew I should have pre-pre-ordered that H550 I wanted. I won't fly at TCC without a tracking system again.

I have about 40 pictures that I like.

IMG_9509 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

IMG_9510 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

IMG_9542 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

IMG_9550 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

I think this is my favorite picture from the launch.

IMG_9562 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

IMG_9563 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

Sharon, I left CUDDLE MONSTER with Tim. He said he'll put it in your next box. Not sure if he'll wash it first or not ;)

THANK YOU TCC for an incredible event. You all know how to have a good time at a rocket launch!

Sharon, I left CUDDLE MONSTER with Tim. He said he'll put it in your next box. Not sure if he'll wash it first or not ;)

THANK YOU TCC for an incredible event. You all know how to have a good time at a rocket launch!

Ooohhhh - thanks! You just gave me an idea for a rocket.....

did anyone take pictures? Have not seen much at all. Maybe over the next few days they will be posted.

A number of photos have been posed on Facebook. Look for the Tripoli and LDRS groups.

I had a great time. I got to meet a bunch of people that I had talked to online but never met face to face.

I flew my 3" Saab to ~6k on a CTI J355 Red on Thursday. I picked it up a mile SE of the pads in a plowed field.

The Monkey Loft was a success. We had 8 participants in the I class on Friday and Thirsty won the closest to the pad award. On Saturday we had 3 participants in the mixed H/I class and Eric Hamilton won. It was bittersweet for me though. I lost my Doorknob in the wheat. I saw it land but couldn't find it. I knew I should have pre-pre-ordered that H550 I wanted. I won't fly at TCC without a tracking system again.

I have about 40 pictures that I like.

IMG_9509 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

IMG_9510 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

IMG_9542 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

IMG_9550 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

I think this is my favorite picture from the launch.

IMG_9562 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

IMG_9563 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

Great pictures Chris! I agree, that shot of my Blackstar on the pad is awesome. Mind if I copy them into my thread? I hope you upload them to the Dropbox too, I would love to see the rest of your favorite shots.

Hi Wayne,

No problem. You can copy the links out of my posts or you can download the pictures from Flickr. go to a picture you like and click on the down arrow in the lower right hand corner.

Chris

Great pictures Chris! I agree, that shot of my Blackstar on the pad is awesome. Mind if I copy them into my thread? I hope you upload them to the Dropbox too, I would love to see the rest of your favorite shots.

What is the motor in the Darkstar. Great looking shots

I posted my flight report on the regional launch page

Here is my wheat field Story.

Flew my Formula 98 on Aerotech K456DM. High flight and windy conditions landed it in the wheat field to the east. I watched the rocket gently land in the field about 1,000 yards away and lost GPS lock as soon as it was on the ground. No problem, I'd just go to last known location and look around.

When I got to the field I found the wheat up to my chin or higher and thick. I walk to last known location and no rocket and GPS signal didn't pick up. So I walk around for a few minutes and GPS lock returned. Rocket was 148 ft North. I walked to the position and there were the chutes on top wheat what luck.

T wheat 1.jpg T wheat 2.jpg

While was recovering another rocket came in for a landing ~100 feet way and sank into the wheat. Since I almost lost my rocket I walk to their rocket and made sure the chutes where visible on top of the wheat. As I bent over to pull up their chutes the wheat kept knocking off my big straw so I placed in on top of wheat by my rocket. I finished spreading their chutes out and picked up my rocket to leave. I could not find my hat, it just disappeared into the wheat. I gave up looking and started to walk out... I met the owners of rocket and point them to it... asked them bring my hat back if they found. As I walk back to flight one of the flyer came running up to return my hat.

TCC Maddox dairy site has wide open flat fields boarded by wheat and orchards. But there are rocket hazards... rocket eating wheat fields, rocket drowning canals, etc

So when my rocket landed to the north east I was concern about losing it in the wheat. Little did I know that I dodged three hazards, wheat, canal, and power lines.

T lucky 1.jpg T lucky 2.jpg T lucky 3.jpg

Lucky me.

Thirsty's Warlock:

IMG_9611 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

IMG_9675 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

IMG_9707 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

The owner of this Saturn V was telling everyone how it was 24 years old and had first flown at LDRS 14. Unfortunately it lawn darted on this flight.

IMG_9720 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

Gene Hendrix's L3 project on an M2500. Unfortunately it also lawn darted due to some altimeter problem.

IMG_9725 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

IMG_9726 by Chris Attebery, on Flickr

We had a rocket land in the south west corner of the wheat field. By the time we drove out to the landing spot someone had already fished it out of the field for us. We drove up and they handed us our rocket. We thanked them and followed them back to the flight line. Easiest recovery ever!

Terry

Back