LDRS 37

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The recovery area speaks to the wide open farmland.

The 16,800 foot waiver is determined by the FAA.

The M motor limit is a State of California limit.

There's no limit to the number of tacos from Taco Tren!

That sucks the state law is that in Cal. Doesn't the FAA take into account of all the open recovery space to give waiver? Is there any airports near that prevents higher?

So if it was anywhere else besides Cal you could use motors over M's?

Question: If there is a 20 sq mile recovery area then why is it only 16,800 foot waiver and only M motor max for single motor rockets? Not going just wondering.

That’s correct. Also, I understand the club is working on increasing the waiver for LDRS, but there are no guarantees at this point, so the club is only promoting the 16,800 that they always have.

And just to reiterate one important point — unlimited Taco Tren tacos!

TCC launch site is about 20 miles from NAS LeMoore. As for the M limit... Talk to the CSFM.

And it's hard to beat Taco Tren. (OK. They may not be the #1 greatest tacos you've ever eaten, but they are good, and they deliver. Taco Tren is coming to an alfalfa field near you! And she's a nice lady, too.)

I got a bit more work done on "Tweety Bird" this week, mounting a "can" on the top centering ring of the motor mount for a MW Pet-2 timer. It is accessed by a small door in the side of the fincan. This will fire the four outside motors when it senses main engine ignition. The plan is to have a large enough motor
(L640 dual thrust) to get it off the rail, with four smaller motors firing shortly thereafter. We are planning to have the whole team over this Sunday, and hopefully will have pic's to show the progress.

I printed out a sample of your flier Eric, and it looks great! Will make up some more for the next launch.

I got a bit more work done on "Tweety Bird" this week, mounting a "can" on the top centering ring of the motor mount for a MW Pet-2 timer. It is accessed by a small door in the side of the fincan. This will fire the four outside motors when it senses main engine ignition. The plan is to have a large enough motor
(L640 dual thrust) to get it off the rail, with four smaller motors firing shortly thereafter. We are planning to have the whole team over this Sunday, and hopefully will have pic's to show the progress.

I printed out a sample of your flier Eric, and it looks great! Will make up some more for the next launch.

The rocket sounds very cool. I’ve made rockets with outboard “pods” before, but the pods did not contain motors. When I looked into how I could make something similar with working outboard pods, the advice was exactly what you described — get it flying on a single central motor, and light the outboards with a timer. I look forward to seeing Tweety Bird fly!

I’m glad the flyers are working out for you!

"Those Guys" will be there. We will be there for the duration. Not planning on taking a bunch of rockets, but I should have my L3 project done and ready for a shakedown on a L2 motor.

Did anyone ever answer your question about camping?

You CAN camp onsite. Tents or RVs are ok.

It’s completely dry camping — no water, no electricity, no RV dump station. Bring plenty of water! There will be portable toilets, and usually they get the ones with a hand-wash station.

There’s no garbage service. Pack out everything you pack in.

No fires are allowed on the ground. You can have an elevated fire pit or barbecue, but if you start a fire, it’s your responsibility!

The ground can be pretty rough and uneven, so I bring a cot when I tent camp.

I plan to tent camp, like a Barbarian, on Wedseday and Thursday nights, and then stay at Harris Ranch, like a civilized human being, on Friday and Saturday nights when my wife will be there.

Going to modify a 5.5" LOC Big Nuke to make it look like a fighter jet. Adding small wings, a pilot cockpit canopy and aft fairing, slightly clipping the fins and adding a 4" tail cone to resemble a jet engine exhaust. At least a pound of shot is going in the nose cone for CG/CP balance. Might do a build thread if anyone is interested.

Hopefully, all the kinks will be worked out at the next launch on the 2.5" Ventris SRB so all composite motors will light and the strap-on boosters will slide off and come down under canopy close to the pad. If so, it'll earn its paint. Don't want Musk to get all the attention for successful three core flights.

Thanks everyone - this is going to be a great launch - really looking forward to it!

Thanks Eric for the banner and helping with the site updates, that will come along more next week.
We had our monthly launch and tested our new setup, we'll fly again in March and get everything setup in our April cleaning party (no launch).
Yes, you can get your Level Certs, like James said, lots of representation from TRA.
We are hoping more who don't plan to camp onsite people stay at the Harris Inn, it is only 20 minutes from the launch site and helps the club get a discount.
We have the banquet order processing and badges ready for our first print run!
Like Chris said, if you have questions - please send to [email protected], I will try to check back more often on TRF ...

One other note folks, there is going to be a special LDRS37 kit - more on that later.
Wayne, call you this week.

Tim,

Yes, 8 pads at 2000'. Range map and local food and spots will be posted by Friday.

-James

Now if you came to NSL you could fly N's on our grass field Our waiver is only 12,000' ... But we have MIGHTY TACO, and there is no limit on them. Stop in Buffalo on your way here.

Or stop in Rochester and pick up a "garbage plate." Guaranteed to add 10 pounds at a sitting.

Mighty Taco.jpg Garbage Plate.jpg

Seriously... Good luck in CA. Have a great LDRS.

It looks like we have approval to do an M class drag race at LDRS this year.
Stay tuned we are working out the details☠️

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I am really getting pumped up about this LDRS. I've got my Madcow Avalanche on order and am planning on flying my "milspec" 3 inch minimum diameter rocket on the KBA M3500. TCC has some of the best folks in the sport and they never disappoint. It is worth the price of admission and you will make friends you will never forget. I want to shout out a California welcome to anyone willing to make the trail out west.

It looks like we have approval to do an M class drag race at LDRS this year.
Stay tuned we are working out the details☠️

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

That would be epic!

And on the TCC chat, a lot of people are talking about drag racing these things on bigger and bigger motors too:

Hi Folks,

LDRS37 Kit special - the Avalanche from Madcow Rocketry!
Only 100 of these kits are available so order now!

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/3-avalanche

Thank you!
-James

Now if you came to NSL you could fly N's on our grass field Our waiver is only 12,000' ... But we have MIGHTY TACO, and there is no limit on them. Stop in Buffalo on your way here.

Or stop in Rochester and pick up a "garbage plate." Guaranteed to add 10 pounds at a sitting.

View attachment 339849 View attachment 339848

Seriously... Good luck in CA. Have a great LDRS.

I’m going to guess that Mighty Taco is no match for Taco Tren.

But the “garbage plate” does appeal to my inner raccoon... :wink:

I'm definitely intrigued by the garage plate. Looks like a great test of the effectiveness of both Pepcid and Lipitor.

Just take a double dose of Pepcid, and chow down on a couple Tums... Remember that "Tums" spelled backward is "Smut."

As far as the Lipitor is concerned, I think you are going to be in trouble. This has the same effect as direct injection of caulk into your aorta. A sentence to death by deliciousness. Whw would have thought that macaroni salad, french fries, a couple cheeseburgers, all mixed together and covered by a spicy meat hot sauce would taste so delicious. My arteries scream every time I look at one, but every now and then I still give into temptation.

Back