eye candy for sci fi fans

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought this was going to be a photo of Lt. Ellis!

The aerodynamics of Lt Ellis could prove to be a challenge if someone were to do a build thread. Although, she was very partial to shiny aluminum skirts, so spotting her at high altitudes would not be a problem.

ufo_ellis_corridor.jpg

Always wondered why the women needed the purple wigs but not the men...

I saw an article years ago where they interviewed Sylvia Anderson about that (she and he husband created the show). Because women typically wear their hair longer than men, it was felt that they needed to wear wigs to cover their real hair. A moonbase would have limited water, so personnel hygiene was expected to be limited. Women wouldn't want to be seen with greasy hair, so they all wore wigs when on the moon. When they returned to earth they did not wear the wigs. Since it was the 60's they made them purple.

I saw an article years ago where they interviewed Sylvia Anderson about that (she and he husband created the show). Because women typically wear their hair longer than men, it was felt that they needed to wear wigs to cover their real hair. A moonbase would have limited water, so personnel hygiene was expected to be limited. Women wouldn't want to be seen with greasy hair, so they all wore wigs when on the moon. When they returned to earth they did not wear the wigs. Since it was the 60's they made them purple.

Ah - thanks for the explanation! I spent many nights as a young man pondering that issue, alongside other matters relating to Lt Ellis and her colleagues..:blush:

Back