Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
    Quote Originally Posted by AdAstraPerAspera View Post
    You don't have to do a deployment bag at all. 55 pounds had been done without one successfully. That was about what my largest project came in at, and I still haven't used one.
    I have heard this before and I think there is a misconception when it comes to when or why to use a deployment bag.

There is no minimum size or complexity as to when you would or would not use a deployment bag. It is simply a choice. I use them regularly and if they are used as designed they do a good job of ensuring a reliable deployment. If you are a FruityChute user then just talk to Gene and ask him his opinion.

Having said that, the smallest airframe I have used them in is a 3", but if they were a viable option for a smaller airframe I would use one without hesitation.

Michael Pitfield
    TRA 14579 L2
    NAPAS BoD
    URRG
    MARS
    CRC

Quote Originally Posted by mperegrinefalcon View Post
    Madcow has an 8" 5:1 ogive nosecone I plan on using. It will be the most expensive part of his build, for the airframe at least. The motor is a bit more then it. The tailcone I have been thinking about, and I'm thinking to keep it light so I don't have a giant block of wood on the tail of my rocket, I will make a frame of wood and harvest some cardboard from the leftover body tube and use that to make the tailcone, which would be then be coated in fiberglass cloth. I could also do a balsa build up to make it, with again some fiberglass coating.
    Careful. Fiberglass tubes are generally thinner than a glassed Sono tube. And the Sono tube may not have a good ID tolerance either. You might be better off with a custom nose. Have you considered Python Rocketry? I've handled his stuff and it's nice, and probably lighter than filament wound. He could do your tailcone too.

http://www.pythonrocketry.com

Quote Originally Posted by AdAstraPerAspera View Post
    Careful. Fiberglass tubes are generally thinner than a glassed Sono tube. And the Sono tube may not have a good ID tolerance either. You might be better off with a custom nose. Have you considered Python Rocketry? I've handled his stuff and it's nice, and probably lighter than filament wound. He could do your tailcone too.

http://www.pythonrocketry.com
    Plus Sono tubes are "nominally" size to the diameter they state, the 8" could be 7.5 to 8.5" OD depending on whether or not its the inner or outer of the nested pair (sonotubes are shipped as nested pairs and both are the "same" diameter), make sure and have the tube before buying a nosecone.
    Rich

NAR# 99154

L3-4x upscale Estes Cherokee-D- AT M1297W 5/28/2016 http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...r-rharshberger

TriCities Rocketeers NAR section# 736 http://www.tricitiesrocketeers.org/

Ya, the nosecone is pretty much the last thing I'm going to buy. I already bought the Sano tube. When I got it I made sure they were both the same outer diameter. I'm going to measure their inner diameter when I get home, and I will figure it out from there. I will probably get the NC from Python if the inner diameter doesn't match madcow. Getting the tailcone from python would be very easy and I'll look into it, though I think I could make my own fiberglass part pretty easily with 4 layers of 4oz cloth over some cardboard and another make-shift coupler from some of the leftover sanotube.
    L1 Cert: 7/15/17 Madcow 2.6" ARCAS HV on an Aerotech H210R

L2 Cert: 4/7/18 Madcow 2.6" Screech on an Aerotech J500G (5,299 feet)

L3 Cert: Soon

Quote Originally Posted by mike2wander View Post
    Super Fly is 6" diameter, 75" tall with a 75 mount and weighs 14 lbs. empty. The airframe is BlueTube. It's been amazing to see how the whole BlackFly thing has caught on, and Thanks everyone for the support. The plan is to fly it in June at URRF5 in Potter NY on an "M".
    I'll be there... VERY excited to see it fly. Let me know if you need field support, recovery, etc.

-CzTeacherMan
    TRA #15280 - QCRS, Tripoli Wisconsin, WOOSH
    Level 1 - 9/28/2014 Wildman Sport on CTI H163 White Thunder
    Level 2 - 5/23/2015 Wildman 3" Darkstar CTI J400 Smoky Sam
    First Mile+ & Mach+ - 9/25/2015 Wildman Punisher CTI J360 Skidmark
    Level 3 - 5/15/2016 Wildman Gizmo XL-DD-V CTI M1540 Imax