This doesn't quite add up!?!?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why doesn't it add up? If they chose to sell a box lot for that price, they are certainly free to do so.
I'm guessing that you are looking at retail prices and multiplying by 12. The vendor gets them at wholesale, and may have made a "behind the scenes" deal with Estes... That is how capitalism works.

I don't believe Estes has Ever offered a Bulk Pack of Hi-Fliers

John Boren

OK, maybe I'll have to order it, if it's a 12 pack! That would be $1.86 per kit!?
Thanks,

Actually I know a Canadian reseller who give packs to club , of course it's a return investment

Sure, it's only $1.86 per kit, but why would you want 12 of them?

Playing in Google found a listing from Sears. Page says no longer available.
Why would one want 12? Schools, youth groups, clubs.

Estes Hi-Flier Bulk Pack (12 Rockets) - Sears
m.sears.com/estes-hi-flier-bulk-pack-12-rockets/p-SPM11228248232
Skill Level 1 The Estes Hi-Flier rocket launches to impressive heights of over 1600 ft. Specifications: Length: 12 in. Diam: 0.74 in. Wt: 0.82 oz. Recovery: ...

also found was a listing from these guys for rather more than $22
Belleville Wholesale Hobby
1944 Llewellyn Road
Belleville, IL 62223

Could be selling it at cost or below cost just to get rid of remaining stock, stores I've worked for all the way from Woolworth to HobbyTown USA have occasionally done that with all manner of products.
Or the business could be one who buys remainders, overstocks, salvage from wrecked trucks, that kind of stuff.

He needs cheap parts for his 'business' would be my guess.

I've never built a Hi Flyer, according to OR, one just needs to glue a BB in the nose and it works..... I may order a set myself.....

It must be an error. The same seller sells a single Hi-Flier for $19.28.

Must be a misprint. Since Jump Jet says they were never offered in bulk, I would guess it's a gross box of 12.
And price is per each. But, they have to sell what's advertised. So if they don't ship 12...
"HERE" is another listing from the same seller for 12 Yankees.
12-3 of each different models "HERE". All ridiculously low priced.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, maybe I'll have to order it, if it's a 12 pack! That would be $1.86 per kit!?
Thanks,

man.. I can't wait for amazon.com to launch in Australia.. The only things we can order from amazon.com here is eBooks and Kindles..
Google Chrome100.png

Not sure we you are getting that idea from. Plenty of Amazon business's ship to Oz.

Really? I have given up trying... the disappointment of finding just the right thing for a good price then seeing they won't ship to AU just became a time and emotion sink for me! ;)

If you know of rocket suppliers that do, I am all ears!

Not sure we you are getting that idea from. Plenty of Amazon business's ship to Oz.

OK - it seems Amazon is now doing global shipping to Australia with some merchants.. I stand corrected SpaceManMat! Thanks!!

This is a good and bad thing... ;)

amazon is turning to crap. It's worse than buying ray-ban's and rolex's on a street corner now.

amazon is turning to crap. It's worse than buying ray-ban's and rolex's on a street corner now.

The random sellers on Amazon are the problem. I refuse to buy anything there not fulfilled by Amazon. That prevents the worst problems. If I go to Amazon.com, I want to buy from Amazon.com, not some random fly-by-night. I can get that on ebay.com with at least some buyer protection.

OK - it seems Amazon is now doing global shipping to Australia with some merchants.. I stand corrected SpaceManMat! Thanks!!

This is a good and bad thing... ;)

Not sure about rockets. Sourced a pool filter control valve last year. Wanted $130 locally, there's the scam. Think I ended up paying about $50-60 after conversion including shipping. Aus importers seem to think they have the right to put 100% markup on stuff.

Not sure about rockets. Sourced a pool filter control valve last year. Wanted $130 locally, there's the scam. Think I ended up paying about $50-60 after conversion including shipping. Aus importers seem to think they have the right to put 100% markup on stuff.

Well, I've ordered an Estes v2 now. Fulfilled by Amazon and all up converted to AUD and shipped it came in a little bit more than half the price I could ship from any Australian source I could find. ($44AUD)

out of curiosity, i contacted the seller asking if that was 12 rocket kits being sold.
the reply:
please provide the asin for the item.

whats an "asin?"

Lots of news about scammers who post "too good to be true" on Amazon marketplace to make a quick buck. Always check reviews, and if none, proceed with caution! Just my :2:

reply with the ASIN:
"It looks like in the description it is for one and the title is wrong. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. "

Would it be appropriate to pass these out or sell them at public information tables as community outreach? Or are they too sophisticated for that duty?

Back