Does anyone else struggle with using rattle can clear coats?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only Krylon Clear Acrylic I use is on home printed decals. Be sure to get the UV Resistant #1305
or your clear coat could yellow over time.

A few years back I used it for an overall clear coat on a rocket -
But on a humid day the clear coat softened and got sticky. Soft enough that fingerprints could be left in the finish.

Rusto Crystal Clear for me. No problems, no yellowing, very shiny.

Then again,my rockets are all fliers, not display models.

Spray-max 2K glamour gloss

I've put it over most all brands of both enamel and lacquer with zero compatibility issues
Best clear in a can hands down

I just put a can of this on a rocket that I'm building based on the recommendations from this thread. I've already purchased more cans, this is hands down the best clear coat that I've used. It went on easy, has that nice thick look like the rocket is covered in glass, and feels really durable.

IMG_20170530_133750.jpg

I just put a can of this on a rocket that I'm building based on the recommendations from this thread. I've already purchased more cans, this is hands down the best clear coat that I've used. It went on easy, has that nice thick look like the rocket is covered in glass, and feels really durable.

View attachment 321039

Cool! I got couple of cans but have not used them yet. You beat me to it! I've done a little more investigation into this product which is clearly intend for professional use and results. Your rocket looks wet, was it or had it dried?

Cool! I got couple of cans but have not used them yet. You beat me to it! I've done a little more investigation into this product which is clearly intend for professional use and results. Your rocket looks wet, was it or had it dried?

It is dry there. It looks like it has a layer of glass on it.

Nice, thanks for testing this for me! :wink:

Just remember, once you start you're on a time limit since it has a hardener in it. The various Youtube videos with it that I watched said you'd have between 24 hours and a week to use it. The can itself says you have 48 hours. I used the entire can in one session though.

Just remember, once you start you're on a time limit since it has a hardener in it. The various Youtube videos with it that I watched said you'd have between 24 hours and a week to use it. The can itself says you have 48 hours. I used the entire can in one session though.

Yes thanks I saw that. A week sounds like a stretch to me.

I've been using Rustoleum and Krylon clear coats for 10+ years and have never had a rocket yellow or grey. However, I did get tired of waiting a week or more for the base coat of paint to dry and then apply the clear just to have it wrinkle the base paint for no apparent reason. Sometimes it would wrinkle within 30 seconds and other times it would not wrinkle at all. I always allowed days worth of extra time beyond what the instructions re-coat time said just to be safe. The weather did not matter either, could be sunny, hot, cool, or cloudy. My solution was to just apply the clear coat right after I was done applying the base color just as if I was applying another coat of paint. I have been doing this for years now and I have never had any issues with clear coating since. No cracking, wrinkling, no nothing.

...Fudd

So how toxic is the spraymax 2k stuff really? I'm a bit frustrsted with future floor polish, and I have a 3m half-face mask with good (and recently opened) organic filter cartridges, but the Amazon reviews talk about it's toxicity quite a bit.... I live in the city and spray paint outside in a small backyard that my daughter plays in. I use plastic sheeting, but the reality is that wind will carry any aerosol at least some of the time onto unprotected surfaces or plants. I want to get a great finish but not at the cost of giving my kids cancer....

Anyone have any concrete thoughts or sources that say more than "be careful this stuff will kill you"? As I'm writing this I'll be honest I'm leaning pretty strongly towards steering clear of it.

So how toxic is the spraymax 2k stuff really? I'm a bit frustrsted with future floor polish, and I have a 3m half-face mask with good (and recently opened) organic filter cartridges, but the Amazon reviews talk about it's toxicity quite a bit.... I live in the city and spray paint outside in a small backyard that my daughter plays in. I use plastic sheeting, but the reality is that wind will carry any aerosol at least some of the time onto unprotected surfaces or plants. I want to get a great finish but not at the cost of giving my kids cancer....

Anyone have any concrete thoughts or sources that say more than "be careful this stuff will kill you"? As I'm writing this I'll be honest I'm leaning pretty strongly towards steering clear of it.

Some bits from the warning label on the can.

"contains isocyanites. Protective mask must be work while spraying"

"vapors may affect the brain or nervous system"

"may be harmful if absorbed through the skin"

"in case of ingestion, consult a mortician" (kidding on that one)

When I used it, I used a good quality 3M mask that cost less than $20 and is rated for something like 40 hours of use. I also had my kids stay inside until I was sure any vapors had dissipated.

IMG_20170531_144509.jpgIMG_20170531_144523.jpgIMG_20170531_144639.jpg

Some bits from the warning label on the can.

"contains isocyanites. Protective mask must be work while spraying"

"vapors may affect the brain or nervous system"

"may be harmful if absorbed through the skin"

"in case of ingestion, consult a mortician" (kidding on that one)

When I used it, I used a good quality 3M mask that cost less than $20 and is rated for something like 40 hours of use. I also had my kids stay inside until I was sure any vapors had dissipated.

View attachment 321114View attachment 321115View attachment 321116

Yeah the vapors I'm less worried about - I'll be outside wearing a good mask and gloves, though I'd be curious if folks think that isn't enough and you need a forced air supply.

The other concern (and where the kids are a factor) is how worriesdI have to be about my daughter eating dirt that was 10 feet from where I was spraying. I think I probably need a paint booth to be safe, and thatisnt happening anytime soon...

Yes, it is hazardous, I should have mentioned this in my recommendation post.

use a a half mask respirator with a minimum of A1P2 combination filters

Please don't think you can just shoot Rusto, Krylon, Duplicate-Color or most any other spray paints without using the proper PPE. Look up the MSDS or safety data sheets for those, they pretty much all contain most of the same solvents and chemicals as 2K does. The big difference in 2K is that it is a urethane that has an Isocyanate curative. There are a lot of hazardous materials we use in this hobby and each one should be researched before use to ensure that you are using and handling it properly with the correct PPE and in the correct environment

Since noone has give the reason most have trouble with rattle can clear coats, here is the long and short of them.
Most of us "Rattle can painters" are spraying either enamels or acrylic enamels. All rattle can Clear Coats are Lacquers. That's because there are no color pigment platelates to slightly overlap and Interloc. Clear is simply Clear. Once Lacquers dry they become extreamly brittle. A hard landing, bouncing around in the trunk and just handling of our rockets can cause these rattle can clears to crack, flake and detach from the under laying paint.
Not to mention Lacquer over enamel is a very good way to ruin a perfectly good paint job. spray them on too thick and they immediately crinkle the underlaying enamel. With Care and very light first couple misting coats Krylon UV resistant 1305 gloss or 1308 Matte clears can make for a very nice finish. but like all other clears they do become brittle very shortly.
I use Krylon UV resistant clears on my home printed decals before they are cut from the sheet. Overall model & applied decals are much better protected by a good coat of Pledge w/ future instead. it's easy, quick and can be sprayed, brushed or mopped on with a paper towel.

Last edited:
Back