Downscale Quinstar!

I have a (stock) Estes Quinstar that I love flying - it's low and slow, but it's a cool spinning flight. So it's great for small fields and such.

It occurred to me: I know people are out there 3d-printing and laser-wood-cutting upscale Quinstars. Which is really cool. But I don't have a 3d printer or a CNC cutter.... so I had a wacky idea: Why not downscale the Quinstar? As it is, it's 5 sheets of laser-cut balsa. What if I scan it, downscale to fit a 13mm motor, reprint it on paper, then cut it out of cardstock? It would be fiddly, I think, but it would be neat....

I might still be inclined to use 1/16" balsa rather than cardstock. I think it's easier to cut and work with in general, and weight shouldn't be an issue.

And it can be hand cut. Doing a hand cut downscale sounds like a breeze compared to my upscale.

I say go for it!

My photo albums: fleet pics and OR Models

Quote Originally Posted by ActingLikeAKid View Post
    I have a (stock) Estes Quinstar that I love flying - it's low and slow, but it's a cool spinning flight. So it's great for small fields and such.

It occurred to me: I know people are out there 3d-printing and laser-wood-cutting upscale Quinstars. Which is really cool. But I don't have a 3d printer or a CNC cutter.... so I had a wacky idea: Why not downscale the Quinstar? As it is, it's 5 sheets of laser-cut balsa. What if I scan it, downscale to fit a 13mm motor, reprint it on paper, then cut it out of cardstock? It would be fiddly, I think, but it would be neat....
    Print the patterns on self adhesive label paper and half your papering is done.
    Rich

NAR# 99154

L3-4x upscale Estes Cherokee-D- AT M1297W 5/28/2016 http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...r-rharshberger

TriCities Rocketeers NAR section# 736 http://www.tricitiesrocketeers.org/

sounds like a good idea. It might be strong enough to do a fold-over construction, where you laminate a cardstock sandwich folded over a thin cereal-box type cardboard sheet in the middle.

you could also try some of the free 13mm cardstock templates from Art Applewhite:
    http://www.artapplewhite.com/free.html