Rtx RRC link problem.... (user error??)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salvage-1

Certified
Reaction score
I am having a brain blockage and cannot work this one out.
Throwing it out to the greater community intelligence.

When I have these seperate, they both work fine. I link them, and flip jumper 3 on the RTx, all sorts of weird things happen.

Firstly, i read about turning the RRC3 on after the RTx, but, I see to have shared power between the two units. When I turn then RTx on, I get lights on both boards, and the startup bleep from both. I then wait for the 'dial tone' (beep beep beep beep) of waiting for connection, and turn the RRC3 on. It (edit:the RRC3 unit) goes straight to reporting continuity. Leave everything there, and it (edit:the RTx unit) times out and reports POST 9 error (no link).

Am sharing screenshots and video. Can someone help before I go bald?

mdacs1.JPGmdacs2.JPG
[video=youtube;V81WHROPX9Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V81WHROPX9Y&feature=youtu.be[/video]
330_2139.JPG330_2140.JPG

Last edited:
No balding allowed...

A few quick observations:

- RRC3 firmware is v1.52... won't support tether operation (v1.54 minimum)
- ALL data items for telemetry must be checked (timestamp missing)
- You're not using a crossover cable for the tether connection (there's no shared power and comm lines are crossed)
- If you purchased a BETA RTx, the rocket radio configuration need to be changed to Unicast mode to tether the RRC3 (check the following link)
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?126340-Missile-Works-RTx&p=1621201#post1621201

Last edited:
Thank you soo much Jim for the fast reply.

DOH on the firmware.... guess i need to buy some more RRC3's... and a crossover cable

The v1.60 upgrade is worth sending it in for reflash.

Will get around to that one... but I still need new altimeter :)
I am loving the idea that i can have a Rtx in each rocket and just one device to rule them all.
Really looking forward to the Rtx App when it comes out.

Thanks again for all the work and research you put into these things...

OK... question for you.
If i swapped the rx/tx wires,and kept the 4th wire, would a decent 7.4V lipo connected to the RRC3 be enough to power both units? Would that even work?
It would be REALLY nice if we could tether the two units and share power from one battery source.

Just a thought.

OK... question for you.
If i swapped the rx/tx wires,and kept the 4th wire, would a decent 7.4V lipo connected to the RRC3 be enough to power both units? Would that even work?
It would be REALLY nice if we could tether the two units and share power from one battery source.

Just a thought.

Not sure why you would do that but can't you just wire a single battery to both units?

Back