Launching a rocket to God.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
Please delete if not allowed.

Someone once asked me years ago if you could launch a rocket to God. Obviously, you can not, but symbolically you can. Most people pray to the Almighty so I was thinking launching a rocket to God would be similar to praying to God. Has anyone launched a rocket into the sky with a message for God? This thought came back into my head the other night while trying to get to sleep.

Ahhhhh, I launched an Aspire on a G80-10 first time and it disappeared. I figured it was caught and placed on a mantelpiece in the hereafter. Nonetheless, I was called 4 days later and told it was found and was eventually returned to me.
Guess God didn't "want it".
I don't think your action is an outlandish expression so go for it.
Had a parish priest say it's an old Croatian tradition of old to take leftover palms from Palm Sunday and burn them in the furnace (obviously when coal and wood was used) or the farmers would spread some around the fields as an expression of
faith for a good harvest. Me? I'll keep some leftovers and kill two birds with one stone. Crush some up and stuff them in with the apogee laundry for a safe flight AND to bless the farm fields we fly from when ejected!!:)
Kurt (I like to cover all the bases)

Maybe you can entitle your space craft "The Tower of Babel!"

Fred, L2
ICBM, Camden
KG4YGP

isn't that effectively the purpose of the Mosquito, Quark & 220 Swift??????? They are launched and never seen again. I have heard of a lot of people doing a lot of different things as a sacrifice/in the name of their particular belief. I have asked that my ashes be launched in the largest rocket in my collection at the time (Currently a 4" THOR). I need to get to building something more capable just for that event.

I do not see how this would be any different, go for it!

I know I've launched a few straight to h*ll, but you knew I was going to say that, didn't you?

oh, and...
funny.jpg

s666

Might be a good youth group activity - build some payload rockets and fill them with prayers. No need to fire them out of sight - it's a neat symbolic activity.

At our church, we launched a rocket (Fliskits paylord) with people writing down things to put in the payload section to "let go". Probably not exactly what you're looking for, as I'm a Unitarian Universalist, but I'm sure you could do something similar.

edit- our rainbow rocket:

12039247_10205016155026876_5446019197345972794_n.jpg

Last edited:
Estes Partizon modded for high power. Colors are The School of Theology at the University of the South Sewanee. Loaded with our best wishes, Mobius camera and a Play Mobile Martin Luther. We launched this in celebration of my wife's ordination in 2016.

IMG_0252.jpg

Estes Partizon modded for high power. Colors are The School of Theology at the University of the South Sewanee. Loaded with our best wishes, Mobius camera and a Play Mobile Martin Luther. We launched this in celebration of my wife's ordination in 2016.

Cool. I grew up Lutheran.

I used to go to the Boy Scout camp near there, Skymont. I also remember all the road construction to make Monteagle mountain much less dangerous for drivers.

Makes about as much sense as launching a rocket to any other character from a book I suppose.

Next time I'm flying I'll try and launch a rocket to Scarlett O'Hara and see what happens.

Makes about as much sense as launching a rocket to any other character from a book I suppose.

Next time I'm flying I'll try and launch a rocket to Scarlett O'Hara and see what happens.
Careful not to cut yourself on all that edginess, friend-o.

Don't you mean "modded for Higher power"?

I'm a Pagan
All my rockets are idols........I adorn them with motors & send them as offerings to the rocket Godz! :facepalm:

Last edited:
Had a parish priest say it's an old Croatian tradition of old to take leftover palms from Palm Sunday and burn them in the furnace (obviously when coal and wood was used) or the farmers would spread some around the fields as an expression of
faith for a good harvest.

Kurt (I like to cover all the bases)

I hope that this isn't taken as being "too religious" but were you aware that - traditionally - the ashes used on Ash Wednesday are made from burning the palm leaves left over from Palm Sunday the year before?

Early recycling, I guess. Interesting symbolism too.

In my experience, He takes the ones he wants and leaves the rest.

And, to poke the fire a bit more...

Is that to 'A' god or 'The' God?

(has the line thus ben crossed?!)

Frankly, I think it's a nice gesture, regardless of religious orientation or affiliation. Make it a bunch of wishes, or things that need "closure", or prayres, or whatever... It's nice & symbolic and means something to ones making the launch. Why do we care, or need to have a say..

I hope that this isn't taken as being "too religious" but were you aware that - traditionally - the ashes used on Ash Wednesday are made from burning the palm leaves left over from Palm Sunday the year before?

Yes I was aware of that fact. So when this was mentioned in a sermon I thought it was a unique ethnic tradition. Certainly nothing alarming. Kurt

Thanks, I like that. That was something I did not know. I enjoy Christian topics. Keep them coming.

Back