Secret Santa Christmas In July 17

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Club member just gave me a Mammoth. I'm going to have to build that really uick before the 4th if there's a kit in my secret santa box, otherwise Ill be over my "max 5 unbuilt kits" rule.

And.....I just noticed the box was Estes. If there's more than one in there.....I won't have to buy kit for awhile.

UPS brought me a large box today. Rattle test shows it mostly full, and not just packing paper.
going back and looking at my original email to Santa, I had noticed that I had copied down Santa's first line where he begs for a 54/1706 and an L1000. Dude you DON'T want an L1000... trust me. When they blow up AT warranty replaced them... with ANOTHER! Anyhoo... hope that whichever Elf out there got mine ignored that first line... or didn't..

I am soooooo excited. This year the Brit is looking forward to the 4th July!

Last edited:
The Sent And Received list has been update.
So far Papa Elf has not received anything, but I haven't checked the mail yet today :p

Nothing yet, but I know USPS seems to have misplaced an inbound order, so perhaps it's in the same place... :)

Nothing here yet. Mailman should be by shortly...last year my gift didn't arrive until the 5th. :-/

PapaElf says woe to the one who opens their gift early. I say woe to those who sit on their hands until the last minute, you know who you are. :dark:

LOL

We doing our 4th celebration today. Got a pork butt on the smoker for some pulled pork sandmiches! Yum yum. Thin sliced deep fried taters. Bratwurst on the grill. Cold Killian's and a few homebrews. Slip and slide and wading pool is up for the kiddos. The toddler is being a PITA this morning though, there is just too much going on and she wants to help with it all. Top that with a stupid uncalled-for migraine and on a scale of 1 to 10, my patience and enthusiasm is at -23. Luckily I got most setup yesterday. Supposed to be nice and cool today, only 93 with a heat index of 101. YAY HUMIDITY.

Just recieved a box from the mail lady ,
no suprise who it was from ... thanks blackbrandt!
Now the agony of waiting to open it .

MileyDSlagle, your Santa just reported that your package is delayed due to something being back ordered. Trust me, it's going be worth the wait.

Last edited:
MileyDSlagle, your Santa just reported that your package is delayed due to something being back ordered. Trust me, it's going be worth the wait.

Thanks Papa Elf! I was joking BTW, hope no one took it otherwise, it's all in good fun. But now I am even more anxious to get my hands on the goodies. :wink:

Just recieved a box from the mail lady ,
no suprise who it was from ... thanks blackbrandt!
Now the agony of waiting to open it .

If I had shipped it earlier I was going to bounce the package through a friend's house so you wouldn't be able to figure it out.

Looks like a Bundle 8 and a bonus Hones John!
IMG_20170704_105828907.jpg

I can scratch Fletcher off the wishlist, and am debating if I can scratch off the Mini Honest John, since this is definitely not Mini!
Haven't had much interest in Boost Gliders to this point, but that Skydart leaves me with no excuse not to try.

Now this lot puts me at 2x my Unbuilt Kit Limit (UKL), so some drastic action is required!

Initial guesses based solely on post timing and comments:
Dhbarr
Mikeyslagle
Fyrfytr310

That's quite a haul.

Not me. I may or may not have placed my order well before or after I said I did.:wink: Keeps folks guessing that way.

WOW.... opened the box, well, my 10 year old daughter opened the box..
An Estes Ascender with Booster AND a pack of both F15-0 and F15-8's

Last I saw of her, she was running off with the complete set and screaming that it is now hers.

Can't argue .... she loves her rocketry

Thank you to ALL especially PaPaElF

I got an AA-10 Alamo from Rocketarium. My first Rocketarium kit. I asked fro fins! I got fins!! Very nice kit!

(And the giver was smart, ordered from a Canadian vendor. and it's been a painful 2.5 weeks as it arrived 3 days after the emails were sent out!)

I also got some Kevlar cord, and a bulkhead, which I'm assuming can be used to make it with an alt bay..

SO, thanks again to my secret Santa! Much appreciated!

WOW.... opened the box, well, my 10 year old daughter opened the box..
An Estes Ascender with Booster AND a pack of both F15-0 and F15-8's

Last I saw of her, she was running off with the complete set and screaming that it is now hers.

Can't argue .... she loves her rocketry

Thank you to ALL especially PaPaElF

I have a Ascender. Suggestion: Do not press in fins too hard or you'll tend to compress engine tube and make it difficult to insert an engine.

A super thank you to my secret santa. He gave me a North Coast R/C Glider. A winter project since I want to take my time in assembly since after reading instructions. BTW I know who you are. Apogee put an packing slip in Box with your name and address. So much for secrets :)

I am going to treat (and abuse) this the same way I built my Nike Smokes.
For the fins. Dry fit and drill a hole in the fin tab. Gorilla Glue on all the internal fillety bits, expecially the edges. Spritz with water, stick the two pieces together, wrap edges with blue tape, and then wait. The gorilla glue foams, expands slightly, and fills the voids, with a little extra coming out of that fin tab hole.
I try to attack the internal plastic with some heavy sandpaper, give the glue loads of places to grab.
When I glue the fins into the slots, I stick an empty motor case in the tube, just to avoid what you stated.
So far, I have not seen any of them show signs of coming apart. My Estes PSII Nike Smoke regularily flew on CTi H410 VMax and the only damage was a launch lug or two coming off.

I have a Ascender. Suggestion: Do not press in fins too hard or you'll tend to compress engine tube and make it difficult to insert an engine.

Onto the gift. More precisely onto guessing who the elf was responsible for the joy my daughter is going to have building this.
The only clues.
Member or visitor to Rhode Island Model Rocket Association... there was a card in the box.
Has a fetish for nose cones and motor mounts... they were not in the box.

guess - ttabal

Not to worry, I have nose cones and motor mounts. :)

Last edited:
Back