Would you want to live in an old tv show?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been some years since i saw the movie Pleasantville but the 1990s girl's decision to (temporarily) stay still seems foolish. It's still 1958 America, she's still a female in that time period and if she does return to the real world, her education is 40 years out of date and no 1998 institution would honor her degree from a fictional version of Eisenhower-era America.

a real world teenager transported to a fifties sitcom: I don't think many modern young girls would appreciate not being able to wear pants to school, being expected to perform Christianity and attend church or suffer repercussions, being nicknamed something like Kitten and being expected to get their "MRS" instead of an actual education.

Oh and only having newspapers, radio and TV would probably suck to a modern kid...

I would love to live on the starship Enterprise, if I didn't have a red shirt with no stripes on it.

I think you got it wrong. Or, at least as how I understood it. She took the chance to not get a full education, but a chance to catch up, to change, and apply that change to herself. Yes, education was a part of it, but a chance to get the basics down to make something better of herself. Math is math, science is science (at least the scientific principle and how to apply it), engineering is engineering. While we may have new discoveries, new methods, new materials, the basics of 'thinking' and how to think haven't changed all that much, if at all really.. She has a support group in place, that knows her as someone else; viewed forma different perspective, so she can ask without being judged, and has the chance to finish off / get / understand the things she missed or passed over (like reading the end of Tom Sawyer!)

That movie took place over a season of school, which was an hour in the "real world" If she chooses to stay and get / apply a few years of tutoring, mentoring, "growing ***, that'll only be a few hours of her "real world" time missing. Plenty of time to come back with that knowledge and apply it to her "real world" every day life. Her final days of "real world" school would be affected, and she could apply to a "real world" secondary institution of learning, and (obviously) make a better choice for her future years.

And yes, loved that movie, thought a lot about it too!!

by "perform Christianity", I meant those children in the fifties who had to attend Church on Sundays notwithstanding their actual level of religiosity.

SUNDAY???? Sunday.....I wish it was ONLY Sunday.

I had to go to church EVERY day except Saturday till I was in high school! Yeah it was the 60's.
Our school had Service's first thing before class. In church you sat by Grade you where in...1st-2nd-3rd etc.
You literally "caught hell" if you were late! They took attendance in church.

SUNDAY???? Sunday.....I wish it was ONLY Sunday.

I had to go to church EVERY day except Saturday till I was in high school! Yeah it was the 60's.
Our school had Service's first thing before class. In church you sat by Grade you where in...1st-2nd-3rd etc.
You literally "caught hell" if you were late! They took attendance in church.

I attended a Catholic grade school and it was the same for us; a mass every day if I recall correctly. I haven't been inside a church for years; I figure I still have "church credits" to use up.

Sign me up for Dukes of Hazzard... Everyone had a nice ride, or knew someone who had a nice ride, the law was easy to get along with (or maybe buffalo...), and do I even need to mention Daisy Duke... :wink: :wink: :cool:

Sign me up for Dukes of Hazzard... Everyone had a nice ride, or knew someone who had a nice ride, the law was easy to get along with (or maybe buffalo...), and do I even need to mention Daisy Duke... :wink: :wink: :cool:

I think it was a Twilight Zone episode where the guy makes a deal with the devil so he can be the leader of a country. As the episode ends the guy is sitting behind a desk wearing a Nazi uniform and he has a goofy little mustache. And you hear one explosion after another going off outside the building. He did not look happy...

So, in your case, you would be Boss Hogg...

I think it was a Twilight Zone episode where the guy makes a deal with the devil so he can be the leader of a country. As the episode ends the guy is sitting behind a desk wearing a Nazi uniform and he has a goofy little mustache. And you hear one explosion after another going off outside the building. He did not look happy...

So, in your case, you would be Boss Hogg...

Worst part is, I'm starting to look the part... :( Anyone got an old land ark Caddy??? :facepalm:

Gilligan's Island
Sandy beaches, tropical island, lots of fishing, no taxes, and
Mary Ann !!!
Only things I would miss: modern medicine (I get horrible headaches) and air conditioning.
I already work with a bunch of Gilligans so I could handle that.

I would like to be Professor Kingsfield in The Paper Chase.

Wild Wild West (Not the horrible movie with Will Smith) but, helping James West...traveling all around the country on a train!:D

"The Night of the Burning Fields" (Caused by Gus launching Skidmark motored rockets.):rolleyes:

Star trek, but no Babylon 5? I realize that the underlying theme is rather distopic, but still - aliens, FTL travel, telepaths (avoiding the Psi Corps...), Mr. Garibaldi... What's not to like?

Julie Newmar is 5'-11" tall.
You'd have be pretty brave to take on her claws!
MV5BMTI1Njc3NjIyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTU4MzM2._V1_.jpg

Even Super Hero's and Super Villains get old...
MV5BMTY2MDI3NTU3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTk2MDkyMjE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,725,1000_AL_.jpg

Last edited:
I try to catch "Twilight Zone" whenever it's on. Some of those shows would be wonderful to live in; personal utopias. Others I'd *really* want to avoid, but it seemed like people usually got no worse than they deserved.

Back