Still using XP? Not installing patches? Better see this!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah really? I'm going to that site and get hit....no way brother.

Nothing related to this crap gets a visit from me.

Amen to that. I thought XP updates ended over a year ago. I did see a patch was issued for this one.

Amen to that. I thought XP updates ended over a year ago. I did see a patch was issued for this one.
There was a simple registry hack that made Windows XP identify itself as the commercial embedded version and thereby continue receiving updates. MS stopped doing updates at all for XP until this latest vulnerabilty was exposed.

Many large commercial operations still run Windows XP for compatibilty with custom off the shelf software (COTS) as well as specialized hardware. A total rollout of upgraded software can be very problematic for large organizations.

Given a choice and a machine that would run WinXP I would love to have it back on at least one of my machines, then I could play all my old FUN games, not the crap they are producing today. Then most fun games are the ones that have large modder followings as they are currently writing new stuff for the old games. So WinXP would be awesome in that regard.

I understand the possible motivation for sticking with XP having dealt with similar issues, Unfortunately, if you keep it you do so at your own risk.

Given a choice and a machine that would run WinXP I would love to have it back on at least one of my machines, then I could play all my old FUN games, not the crap they are producing today. Then most fun games are the ones that have large modder followings as they are currently writing new stuff for the old games. So WinXP would be awesome in that regard.

I've felt that way with old OS's at times. I guess if you keep important stuff off the machine, there shouldn't be a big downside.

Try Steam, lots of old school games there and new FUN games as well. I'm sure you can still get a copy if you shopped around.

I don't do Steam its a personal distaste thing.
I'm Rank 51 on BattleNet leaderboards for Diablo III. Lol!

Been playing Diablo for 20 years. Wife's and my name are featured as a mini-boss character in Torchlight II, a Diablo clone developed by the original Diablo team. I used to run an "item trade" server for them back in the day and no good deed goes unpunished.

My character in TL2 is Kidrik the Pirate King. Ironic?

Why not run a VM?

I don't do Steam its a personal distaste thing.

I used to hate it- cussing the designers and everyone who used it and their dear mothers - hated it. Would avoid games that required Steam activation. It never worked right, I couldn't even access Steam servers. I would buy a game and couldn't play it because I couldn't get online to activate it.. Excuse me? I just bought the stupid thing and now it has to be activated and updated. So frustrating. But now it works great.

But anyway, yeah XP was good. I still have an old machine running it but I haven't turned it on in years.

Windows has long been the target because it's the most used...In The World.

That has traditionally been the case, and still is correct if one considers desktop operating systems only. However, worldwide computer usage is shifting rapidly in favor of mobile OS usage, especially in developing markets in Africa and Asia. A tipping point was recently passed, making Android the most-used OS worldwide. That gap will grow in favor of Android as XP retirements are accelerated in the wake of the recent ransomware scare.

Source: https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/03/statcounter-android-windows/

James

Back