Estes saturn v- 3d printed parts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRFfan

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought an estes saturn v and am concerned a bit about the strength of the transitions and farings. So i was thinking about having them 3d printed with a thickness of 1mm. If anyone here has a 3d printer or can design files for me, send me a PM.

Thanks.

I think this might be a little better for the Yard Sale/Wanted area. :)
Oh, BTW, I know patelldp does it, ttabbal does it too... PM them!! :wink:
Thanks,

If you are concerned about the strength get some extra cardstock and double or triple the transitions if they are paper, then soak them in CA. Paper transitions can be made very strong with a bit of extra work and it won't add a lot of extra weight, which if you plan on trying to fly on the original motors you cannot afford any extra.

I appreciate the shout out, and I'm willing to help out people here with prints and even basic design work. But a Saturn V fairing is a complex design. If you have a workable STL I could probably print it, but my CAD skills are not to that level.

I'd love to get there eventually, but today is not that day. :)

I appreciate the shout out, and I'm willing to help out people here with prints and even basic design work. But a Saturn V fairing is a complex design. If you have a workable STL I could probably print it, but my CAD skills are not to that level.

I'd love to get there eventually, but today is not that day. :)
If i found a file that isnt 1/100 scale but either a bit bigger or smaller could you work with that?

If i found a file that isnt 1/100 scale but either a bit bigger or smaller could you work with that?

I can scale things up or down. It has the same issue of details perhaps not doing very well if you go a long ways from the original size that a photo has, but +/- 25% shouldn't cause a problem. I would need to know what tube OD/ID to target, but could probably make that work. Note that files need to be in a 3D CAD format or STL. Images like JPEG/PNG/GIF don't have the needed information for generating 3D parts.

I will say that the ones from www.siriusrocketry.biz look nice. Printed objects have ridges and such from the layered printing process that molded parts like those won't. You can do things like acetone vapor treatment (if printed in ABS) to smooth them out, but you can lose small details in the process.

It's also only fair to say that the Estes parts are probably just fine unless you're planning to put big motors in there. :)

I know it seems like I'm trying to talk you out of doing business with me, but I don't do it for money, it's more to help fellow rocket builders get what they need. So if there's another part that's a better fit, I think it's rude not to mention it.

https://www.stlfinder.com/model/1-48-saturn-v-fin-fairing-with-scale-correct-fin/5110628

https://www.stlfinder.com/model/1100-scale-saturn-vsaturn-1b-lm-transition/4208920

https://www.stlfinder.com/model/saturn-v-sivb-transition/4039505

And the fairings will be taking the brunt of the landing so I'm not too comfortable with them. Cardstock for the transitions seems a bit weak, so i dont want to try it. And yeah, I'm planning to sand the ridges off from the printing process.

Anyway, most of the parts are scaled except for the fairings (they are at 1/48).

Decent looking files. I'll take a look at them tonight and see what it looks like. Do you need any particular material or color? Are you planning to paint them?

Decent looking files. I'll take a look at them tonight and see what it looks like. Do you need any particular material or color? Are you planning to paint them?
No the color you can put as white, since I'm planning to sand and paint them. For the material ABS would be fine.

Ah, I didn't realize those are actually on Shapeways. So I can't just download the files.

For what it's worth, Shapeways uses high end printers and likely gets a better result than most home printers can achieve.

PhlAsh, nice work on the CAD.

I would like the ones on shapeways but they are a bit too expensive.

Ah, I didn't realize those are actually on Shapeways. So I can't just download the files.

For what it's worth, Shapeways uses high end printers and likely gets a better result than most home printers can achieve.

PhlAsh, nice work on the CAD.

Thanks! Estes was out of production and out of stock at the time I pranged my SatV. They replaced some of the parts but I had to research and model that...

Does anyone have a template for them so i can print out some extra copies on cardstock? I already cut mine out.

Back