Is it tacky to wear the band’s shirt to their concert?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
To quote the movie ‘PCU’:

“Don’t do it, don’t be ‘that guy’ don’t wear the band’s own shirt to their show..”

So, is it tacky / in bad taste / a ‘fault pas’ / proving ‘noob-ality’ when one wears the band’s shirt to their own show? Or in our case; wearing a NASA shirt to a rocket event? What about wearing last year’s shirt to this years’ event? What about wearing an LDRS (or similar) shirt to a regional event? (or visa-versa?)

Although a flight suit, jump suit or even a EVA suit would be kinda cool!!

I'm not sure about rock concerts, but I wouldn't think so, particularly if the shirt you wore was a concert t-shirt from the past. I would think that doing so would represent proof that you've been a fan for a long time.

I definitely have seen that sort of thing at NARAM and other rocket events. Wearing a NARAM shirt from decades previous is sort of a badge that proves you're not a noob. :)

I don't see what the problem would be. You'd be showing support or that you're enjoying where you are. That's kind of like saying it's tacky to cosplay at a Comic-Con.

Someone wearing last year's shirt just shows experience and dedication. A flight suit or jump suit at a rocket launch would show great enthusiasm, I wouldn't look down on that at all.

I guess you never know how people take things sometimes though.

Wear what you want and do not worry about what others think. It is just a shirt.

I've never heard of that being considered tacky before. It seems like that's the least tacky place to wear a concert shirt to.

Last edited:
Hold on a sec, you're asking fashion advice on a forum populated with rocket geeks? :D

(For the record, yeah wear whatever you want at the event!)

Was just having this discussion last week before going to see The Damned in Atlanta. Although not tacky, some do consider it a breach of an unwritten rule of cool [for lack of a better term] to wear a band's t-shirt when going to see that band in concert, unless you bought it that night at the merch table.

As for wearing t-shirts from previous launches to a launch? I find it to be a good way of remembering who was at what event.

Was just having this discussion last week before going to see The Damned in Atlanta. Although not tacky, some do consider it a breach of an unwritten rule of cool [for lack of a better term] to wear a band's t-shirt when going to see that band in concert, unless you bought it that night at the merch table.

As for wearing t-shirts from previous launches to a launch? I find it to be a good way of remembering who was at what event.
Wear a Misfits shirt. Wear it anywhere. Even to a launch.

Wear what you want and do not worry about what others think. It is just a shirt.

I agree.

This sounds like one of those subjective "rules" put in place by some self professed "cool in the know" elitists. As a general rule, I try to leave the high school politics back in the 80s where they belong, act like an adult and do what I feel like.

Then again, consider the following post...

Hold on a sec, you're asking fashion advice on a forum populated with rocket geeks? :D

Tacky? I thought it was a requirement... along with blaring their music in the parking lot.

I always wear my band shirt to the concerts (Or the band uniform, depending on formality). We're supposed to.

I wouldn't know. I do not go to concerts. As a matter of fact I find most music with words obnoxious. The music I find to be excellent is instrumental music. I do go to concerts that are just instrumental like orchestras. I am a huge fan of Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, John Williams. Thats all I have to say about that.

like wearing your teams jersey to a sporting event.

If you were wearing your team's jersey to an event for your team, exactly. I don't see how anything could be viewed as wrong with the same thing for a band, unless perhaps it suggests that you prefer one of their older concerts over their current tour or something like that? :confused2: Would it be better to wear some other band's shirt? :p

I've gone to a lot of concerts, but very rarely as a part of the audience, I worked for a pro lighting & sound group for several years so I was generally either on-stage or at 'house' running one of the sound boards (or hanging out in the truck avoiding the concert, etc. :) ). The one thing we ensured never to do was to play recorded versions of the band's songs as opening/closing music, etc. Wouldn't want to have anything that compares the live to the recorded performances. I tend to watch the Today show in the mornings while getting ready for work, and I always find it odd when right after a performance they replay part of it as the music going to commercial, etc., that just feels wrong to me, but I guess it is at least only replaying something that was just heard, not a different version of it. But we did just hear it, did we need to hear a random portion of it again so soon?

As for launches, I generally only wear rocketry-related shirts. I have a few vendor shirts and an LDRS shirt, most of the rest are from one club's launches. But I'll wear that club's shirts even to other club launches I go to, never thought twice about it. :)

I have worn a TCC Dairy Aire shirt to a LUNAR launch a Snow Ranch.

Both launch sites have cattle so I figured it was okay.

I wear previous launch or APE shirts to rocket launches.

I wear band shirts to their concerts if I have them.

I'm kind of a T shirt junky. I buy one every time we go to a National park, launch, or concert if I can.

Tacky? I've always thought it more of a "If I meet a hot chick, I don't want to look like the kind of basement-dweller who only listens to one band and only came above-ground because they're here" vibe

Back