Mother's Day tributes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyBoy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Remember your mother's greatest accomplishment wasn't giving birth to you, it was not killing you when she stepped on you Legos.

From some of the stories I've heard, it's amazing I survived my childhood in the first place. I guess I was a real brat in my early years.:wink:

Later on I'll be visiting my mother in rehab. She unfortunately had a bad fall last Sunday and broke her knee.:(

Remember your mother's greatest accomplishment wasn't giving birth to you, it was not killing you when she stepped on you Legos.

I never had any legos, but I did have Lincoln logs, jacks and marbles. She been gone now, 16 years and I still think about her and the good job of training me and my brother in the basic fundamentals to take care of ourselves out in the really word. By that I mean sewing, cooking, bookkeeping, punctuality and courtesy. Good job, Mom!

Happy Mother's Day in Heaven, Mom.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about you. Sometimes if I'm lucky, I see you in my dreams.

Love you, Mom.

From some of the stories I've heard, it's amazing I survived my childhood in the first place. I guess I was a real brat in my early years.:wink:

Later on I'll be visiting my mother in rehab. She unfortunately had a bad fall last Sunday and broke her knee.:(

I'm really glad you added that last sentence. After the first two sentences I was imagining the rehab thing going in an entirely different direction. :facepalm: I hope she is doing well.

"What would men be without women? Scarce, sir, mighty scarce."
- - Mark Twain

ROFLMAO!!! Have to send this to her!
We had as did tightwad Lincoln Logs; plus Tinkertoys; PlaySkool Blocks; some little squares and connector things from Tupperware; Legos; (or is it rightly LEGO?); cheaper Sears knockoffs of Legos, which were named Brix Blocks; and I don't remember what else. Mom & Dad were big in to creative toys. I'm not sure what the end effect was since I started college for Architecture but never could pass calculus, so, since I sucked at higher math I was in retail on and off for 23 years. And my brother went on to jump out of perfectly good helicopters, and sneak around in the dark for a living.
We never overflowed with toys but they gave us some cool and quality stuff.

Another good thing was that we knew we belonged and we figured out how to coexist. Mom & Dad are both from Missouri but for some reason I still can't figure out the US Navy doesn't do business in the Ozarks, so we generally lived 1200 miles or more from relatives - there was no one to run away to, we had to figure out how to coexist.
And, gosh, since Dad was literally at sea for a cumulative total of 13 years out of 28, as with a lot of military families, the non-deployable one was practically a single parent a lot of the time.

Oh, the stories I could tell on Mom, the 5ft4 Ozark mountains strawberry blonde as a child farm girl (her hair turned almost black in adulthood) dietitian who could out-poker the wardroom, out shoot the staff at skeet, was a better pilot than Dad, could rebuild a dryer, had no hesitation to get in the faces of school principals and Admirals and correct their notion of how the universe actually worked. (she was as a rule documentably correct) I've heard she had a few choice words with some drug reps at work too. Then there was the time in early 70s her back blew a disk or two and even the doctors at Bethesda gave her only a 50/50 chance of walking again.
Well, they hadn't known Mom for very long ...
(stubborn little thing, sheesh)

And I've heard she could be a car dealer's worst nightmare come true - don't try to pull shenanigans on Mom, the fundamental laws of reality guarantee you lose, she wins.

And she raised her grandchildren for a few years after my brother's wife (shortly thereafter ex) got in trouble with the law while he was doing the all expense paid extreme adventure thing in the Army.
And now she's taking care of Dad after 28 years in the Navy ruined his health.

And there was the time in high school where I came home to find her in the family room with one of my brother's replica swords - I got the the other one and we fenced!
It's not everybody who gets in a fencing match with their Mom!

and then there is the tale of how she helped him study for Destroyer School up at Newport and since Dad was in to Avalon Hill wargames she played Midway against him - and whupped his butt, as the Japanese - good thing she's on our side!

I remember during the teen years when she and my brother mixed about as well as gasoline and lightning. Dad and I weren't much better for a few years.

And there were our friends from dysfunctional homes who frequently came to hang out at our house.

And then there's how she would get annoyed after fixing up the dining room and living room for some adult function or another but it was her kitchen which got clogged with people hanging out.
Uhh, Mom, there's a lot of warmth and love in your kitchen, so get over it, :wink: their behavior ain't likely to change any time soon.

Yep, love Mom and am proud of her.
Dad too.

Yes, my parents were not perfect, but then I'm not either (and there's the paperwork to prove it) - and I sure wish all kids could have parents of at least the quality of ours.

Back