Its official!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have visions of it being all steampunked, but I think that this is one where I will be happy if I can simply manage to get it built and flown.

If we're going to start throwing around mind-sim stuff, here's what's been eating my headspace for the last week or so... Probably streched a bit more vertically, 2x 24mm cluster (probably). I'll probably decide this is too ambitious.

Concept1.jpg

If we're going to start throwing around mind-sim stuff, here's what's been eating my headspace for the last week or so... Probably streched a bit more vertically, 2x 24mm cluster (probably). I'll probably decide this is too ambitious.

Those drawings show enough to make me want to see a lot more. Get cracking with that CAD program! :)

View attachment 320562

Yes. Must see more of this cool space plane concept. Mindsim RULES!

I was thinking:

Shai-Hulud, a telescoping, tractor motored Dune worm:

HR -SH plans.jpg

Or a flying "fake launch pad" rocket with the "launch rod cap" attached and 4 motor cluster rocket sliding up the hollow rod, banging into the cap, thus creating a tractor motored rocket that is in turn on a launch rod stuck in the ground but hidden from sight until launch.

Or other banging tractor motor concepts like an oil well tower, Slide Rules, Wonkavator, amusement park hammer/strength machine that rings the bell, and others on the attached PDF.

Attachments

• Tractor Motor concepts.pdf
    87.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Launch pad plans.jpg
    Launch pad plans.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 45
here's what's been eating my headspace for the last week or so... [...] I'll probably decide this is too ambitious.
View attachment 320562

Very cool, MCriscione! I was considering something like this for the quarterly build challenge, like one of Bungie's Destiny ships. It looks quite stable! :)

Scotty Dog & blackbrandt: There were some comments last year about MPR & HPR people being unaware of the contest. Is there a way of posting a brief link to the LPR, MPR, & HPR channels so people know? Posting to three channels + Watering Hole & Contests only adds the MPR & HPR channels from last year (were we in LPR?). This may or may not be excessive. Perhaps check w/ the mods?

I may have a couple of things to start a build thread with this evening but not too much.

2. The rocket must be an "original design". No "cloning" of a commercially available design. This will be judged off of a combination of an honor system and TRF member rule.

In checking out last year’s thread, I note that a scale model of an X-2 was disallowed, but a model of the Babylon-5 StarFury apparently was.

And indeed, well, the Gibson Guitar was a fantastic entry and absolutely deserved to win.

But…… it wasn’t an original design either if an X-2 wasn’t legal. It was a scale model of a Gibson Guitar. But as per above the key thing was designing it so it could fly properly (and look realistic), and a VERY unique model.

OK, I wrote much of the above before I found that the X-2 in question was the Knievel Skycycle, a scaled-up model of the Semroc kit, and not the X-2, the supersonic research aircraft which would involve a heck of a lot of effort and designing to make a successful flying gliding model of.

So can there be some more clarification of what is allowed and what is not regarding any entry that resembles ANYTHING commercial, regardless of whether it has some unique aspect to it that the builder designed or added? Say for example someone made an Estes Interceptor that was highly modified to glide using R/C? Actually that’s been done already, but a really good example. Another example would be a pure conversion of something that already exists but not as a model rocket like this “Gyro copter” that Target sold for summer the two previous years (BTW - have not seen them in 2017, yet, anyway. Have seen some like them in HobbyLobby and Walmart but I am not sure those would hold up to a C motor as the blade root tapers inward and had a smaller one similar to those shred).

gvwwWAV.jpg

I’m glad to see that the max motor diameter of 29mm is being changed, that didn’t make much sense since it’s limited to non-HPR models anyway so why should diameter matter. The 32mm “RC” reload casings hold reloads such as F13, G12, F23, and F16, for example.

Don’t know if I’ll enter, the one thing on my 2017 build list that might be very worthy of entering is going to be a fall/winter project, other things I need to do this summer (and that project might not qualify). But there is something I might enter for the heck of it that I’ve been planning for NARAM competition.

Last edited:
In checking out last year’s thread, I note that a scale model of an X-2 was disallowed, but a model of the Babylon-5 StarFury apparently was.

And indeed, well, the Gibson Guitar was a fantastic entry and absolutely deserved to win.

But…… it wasn’t an original design either if an X-2 wasn’t legal. It was a scale model of a Gibson Guitar. But as per above the key thing was designing it so it could fly properly (and look realistic), and a VERY unique model.

OK, I wrote much of the above before I found that the X-2 in question was the Knievel Skycycle, a scaled-up model of the Semroc kit, and not the X-2, the supersonic research aircraft which would involve a heck of a lot of effort and designing to make a successful flying gliding model of.

So can there be some more clarification of what is allowed and what is not regarding any entry that resembles ANYTHING commercial, regardless of whether it has some unique aspect to it that the builder designed or added? Say for example someone made an Estes Interceptor that was highly modified to glide using R/C? Actually that’s been done already, but a really good example. Another example would be a pure conversion of something that already exists but not as a model rocket like this “Gyro copter” that Target sold for summer the two previous years (BTW - have not seen them in 2017, yet, anyway. Have seen some like them in HobbyLobby and Walmart but I am not sure those would hold up to a C motor as the blade root tapers inward and had a smaller one similar to those shred).

gvwwWAV.jpg

I’m glad to see that the max motor diameter of 29mm is being changed, that didn’t make much sense since it’s limited to non-HPR models anyway so why should diameter matter. The 32mm “RC” reload casings hold reloads such as F13, G12, F23, and F16, for example.

Don’t know if I’ll enter, the one thing on my 2017 build list that might be very worthy of entering is going to be a fall/winter project, other things I need to do this summer (and that project might not qualify). But there is something I might enter for the heck of it that I’ve been planning for NARAM competition.
Some people can nick pick anything to death. I guess if you call it a "rocket" its been done before. :palm: What we are shooting for when mentioned no cloning..no cloning of a model rocket that is already on the market.Then again I guess some would need to clearify that statement. The one statement that I like.."I would like to keep this as SIMPLE as possible". All this and you say you most likely wont enter. UNREAL. We all had fun and NO ONE BITCHED!!! FINALY ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Might I suggest changing the name of this thread so people will know that the summer design contest is on?

Or would I be accused of bitching and get yelled at for that too? Hell of an attitude for a "fun event" that someone was asking for clarification about.

I'll take it then that anything is legal as long as it's not a simple scaling/clone of a commercial kit with nothing unique about it.

Last edited:
Come on George, it isn't that complicated. If its a design patterned on an existing rocket design - real or model - it doesn't count. The builder is trying to create their own unique design. I think its well documented that you can be a bit nit-picky on certain topics, and what we're trying to do here is refrain from having to need too many rules. Simple. Based on what your post conveys, you could stand to chill a bit too - it isn't that complicated. Chill... :cool:

Latest posts

Back