20th anniversary - The Fifth Element

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe it's been that long.

I was spending a year in France when it came out. I went to an exhibit of some of the conceptual drawings for the movie. I remember this being a huge thing there at the time, a French director getting a ton of money to direct a big sci fi film.

[video=youtube;Uwzg7SYZKF0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwzg7SYZKF0[/video]

[video=youtube;9jWGbvemTag]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jWGbvemTag[/video]

I love anything and everything fantasy / sci-fi / space opera / etc..., and this movie objectively has most every checkbox for the things I like in movies ticked (and who doesn't love Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich?), but for some reason I just didn't care for it.

Going into the theater, I wanted to love it. I *should* have loved it. But...meh.

I could never quite put my finger on why it didn't score better with me. The only thing I could every really point to was the really annoying sound mixes and over the top characterizations by Chris Tucker and Gary Oldman.

*shrug* Maybe if I wore a clear plastic skull cap like Zorg it might shift my perspective enough to like it.

I love anything and everything fantasy / sci-fi / space opera / etc..., and this movie objectively has most every checkbox for the things I like in movies ticked (and who doesn't love Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich?), but for some reason I just didn't care for it.

Going into the theater, I wanted to love it. I *should* have loved it. But...meh.

I could never quite put my finger on why it didn't score better with me. The only thing I could every really point to was the really annoying sound mixes and over the top characterizations by Chris Tucker and Gary Oldman.

*shrug* Maybe if I wore a clear plastic skull cap like Zorg it might shift my perspective enough to like it.

I'm with you on this. I wanted to like it too, but just can't seem to get into it.

A bit of trivia,
"The first part of the song, the aria, is Act 3 scene 2 Oh, giusto cielo!…Il dolce suono (Oh, merciful heaven! … The sweet sound) (the Lucia Mad Scene), from Gaetano Donizetti's tragic opera Lucia di Lammermoor.

The second part, the dance, is called The Diva Dance song, composed by French composer Éric Serra. Parts of the vocal performance is computer enhanced, because no human can change pitch that fast, and that high in quality. In the movie, the song is composed to be sung by extraterrestrial.

The song in the movie is sung by Albanian soprano Inva Mula (born 1963) (with help of computer enhancement on the Diva Dance part)
The actress playing the singer is Maïwenn.
The fictional alien character's name is Diva Plavalaguna.
"
https://xahmusic.org/music/Fifth_Element_diva_dance.html

I'm in the 'meh' crowd. To me it has a 'made cheap' feel. Could have been better if they would have spent an extra $50 for good scenery/props.
Bruce and Milla are both great, but just not enough to make up for the short comings.

Oops, I thought this thread would be about Boron - the neglected element.

The one thing that always disappointed me about the DVD's for this movie was that there were hardly any special features. We know Bruce Willis is funny, there have to be some funny outtakes. But as far as I know, they've never appeared on a disc.

But, yeah, I never turn it off if I see it on cable. Bugs the crap out of my GF. I always get the :eyeroll:

Yep, the Periodic Table of Elements is getting old. This year apparently marks the 193rd anniversary of the element. It is being shown under the fume cupboards in select laboratories (and other places) nationwide from January 1st to December 31st. Just thought folks here might want a heads up...

EDIT- this might be helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron

MULTI PASS

Fun movie, watched with daughter recently ..such classic lines ..

I am a Meat Popsicle ..

Give me the ka kaaa kaaaash !

Milla will always be the Supreme Being

Kenny

All the movie needed was nudity to take it above the "meh" rating.
Nothing brings ratings up like a little T&A!

I think it had the perfect hint of it.

This movie was out of the box.... some parts were over the top, sure...but it all pulled together I think. Very, very cool.

..a French director getting a ton of money to direct a big sci fi film.
Don't forget famous french fashion designer and comic artist too.
Jean Paul Gaultier designed the costumes/wardrobe and Jean-Claude Mezieres designed the sets.

The only thing I could every really point to was the really annoying sound mixes and over the top characterizations by Chris Tucker and Gary Oldman.
Can definitely relate to this, the audio and Tucker were definitely over the top.
I've watched this so many times that the audio I've gotten used to, Tucker... not so much.
Oldman though has never bothered me, I thought his character was one of the better ones, along with Ian Holm.
And Tricky (from Massive Attack) as Zorg's right-hand-man was a nice surprise.

This movie was out of the box.... some parts were over the top, sure...but it all pulled together I think. Very, very cool.
I think you've nailed it, it's not 'Hollywood' and I think that bothers some people.

I haven't laughed nearly as hard since, the opening scene of Ruby Rod ,the one from behind and then he turns and that mouth of his just starts rolling, hilarious. Each time I rewatch the movie it still gets a chuckle. That and Bruce Willis's negotiating scene.

My sentiments exactly, point for point. But I'm glad they brought it back for those who dug it.

My sentiments exactly, point for point. But I'm glad they brought it back for those who dug it.

Absolutely! Just because it's not my cup of tea doesn't mean I can't be happy for the folks who are digging the anniversary. I can live vicariously through other folks just fine. :)

20 years, really? Love it. I love movies that create their own unique world and stay within it. Really allows you to mentally escape into that world so that when the movies over, you have that awkward feeling of adjustment back to the real world. I'm so glad they didn't make a sequel. You just can't with this one.

Back