How to make my own Hgh Power Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psofoklis

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I would like to make my own High Power Rocket but I do not know how to start and how to make the motor.May someone explain that to me , please ?

I would pick something with a 75mm motor mount. Then you can much more easily cert levels 1,2 and 3 all in one day.

I would go with a 98mm you can always reduce down if need be.

Just start reading the posts here, buy "Modern High-Power Rocketry" by Mark Canepa. Watch Youtube Videos, Apogee Rockets has a lot of great info on their site. Or keep asking questions like your first one, gives me a laugh reading the replies.
Bill

How many have done all 3 levels in a day? I did 1 and 2 in two weeks, now I am lazy about 3.
I did L1 and L2 in 2 consecutive launches (could have done them both on the same day except weather interfered).

Theoretically I could have used my L3 rocket for my L2 cert :)

Hello everyone,
I would like to make my own High Power Rocket but I do not know how to start and how to make the motor.May someone explain that to me , please ?

People are joking with you because your question is akin to: how do I make an automobile and drive it?

If you are interested in rocketry, here is a path for you.

Go to Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Wal-Mart or a local hobby store and buy an Estes Starter Set. Learn to build and launch small rockets on A, B, and C motors. Get good at it.

Go join a club. If you tell us where you are, we will help you find a club close to you. Watch other people fly their high power rockets. Ask them questions.

As someone mentioned, read Modern High Power Rocketry 2 by Canepa, and also read The Handbook of Model Rocketry by G. Harry Stine.

Once you are really good with A, B, and C motors, buy a bigger kit that takes D and E motors.

Next, try your hand at an Estes ProSeries E2X kit and their 29mm E and F motors.

After you get good at that, buy a real mid-power kit (you can find vendor suggestions here) and fly it on G motors.

Finally, once you have mastered this, put a baby H motor in it and get your Level 1 certification. Then you can fly HPR H and I motors at your club.

Do not ever fly HPR rockets without an FAA waiver or you could get arrested. Most clubs have an FAA waiver already, which is why I said to find a club.

Hope this helps.

I assume you are in the U.S. There are two national rocketry organizations in the U.S; NAR and Tripoli. NAR requires you to use commercially made motors for all launches. Tripoli allows you to use homemade motors, but only after you certify level 2 in high power rocketry using commercial motors.

Please be aware that making your own motors can be incredibly dangerous if you do not follow proper safety procedures. Almost everyone who makes their own motors starts by working directly with an experienced person. If you are making your own motors to save money you are almost certain to be disappointed. The people I know who make their own motors spend a lot of money doing so. The cost per motor is less than what I pay for my commercially made motors, but the only way to drive the cost per motor down is by making a lot of motors and using them.

Also be aware that the formulas for making motors are not allowed to be discussed in this open forum. There is a special place on this forum where U.S. citizens who are certified in high power rocketry can discuss formulas. If you are not certified or not a U.S. citizen you are not allowed to join that forum.

If you tell us where you are located we can direct you to a local club.

My honest advice- get a builders special or designers kit or whatever they call them these days. Buy a bulk pack of A8-3 motors Build and fly rockets until you're out of motors.

Then get a LOC onyx and fly a half dozen F econojet motors.

Build level one and level two rockets. Fly them back to back, there's not much different between the high end of L1 and the bottom of L2

play around with L2 stuff for a few years, then get into making motors and your L3

its been working for me anyways.

Hello everyone,

Making motors is discussed in the restricted research forum in "Advanced Rocketry Topics", not here.

That said...we would need to know more about your experience level with low to mid power rockets to help you out.

@OP We don't talk about making motors in this section of the forum... Unless you mean "How do I assemble a commercially available motor reload kit". If that's the case, here a nice video for you:

[video=youtube;g0GsbQS7GKI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0GsbQS7GKI[/video]

Anyone wanna put a wager on the origin of OP's IP address? Any admins want to confirm? I'll put a buck down for the other side of the pond. I'm thinking neighboring borders are hot and sandy...

How many have done all 3 levels in a day? I did 1 and 2 in two weeks, now I am lazy about 3.

Art Hoag, maybe 10 or so years ago, I'll have to check with him. He is a friend on FB. He was the teenager at the launches that was always frustrated that he was not old enough to do certification due to age. When he was old enough, he did all three levels.

Smart "kid". He is now a commercial pilot.

But can it be done with the same rocket...? that would be interesting.

I think someone posted they flew a tube fin on every letter from G to M in one day. So I suppose it can be done. But not sure if tube fins are allowed for cert flights.

People are joking with you because your question is akin to: how do I make an automobile and drive it?

If you are interested in rocketry, here is a path for you.

Go to Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Wal-Mart or a local hobby store and buy an Estes Starter Set. Learn to build and launch small rockets on A, B, and C motors. Get good at it.

Go join a club. If you tell us where you are, we will help you find a club close to you. Watch other people fly their high power rockets. Ask them questions.

As someone mentioned, read Modern High Power Rocketry 2 by Canepa, and also read The Handbook of Model Rocketry by G. Harry Stine.

Once you are really good with A, B, and C motors, buy a bigger kit that takes D and E motors.

Next, try your hand at an Estes ProSeries E2X kit and their 29mm E and F motors.

After you get good at that, buy a real mid-power kit (you can find vendor suggestions here) and fly it on G motors.

Finally, once you have mastered this, put a baby H motor in it and get your Level 1 certification. Then you can fly HPR H and I motors at your club.

Do not ever fly HPR rockets without an FAA waiver or you could get arrested. Most clubs have an FAA waiver already, which is why I said to find a club.

Hope this helps.

+1 I couldn't agree more, start small and get the feel of it, then go bigger and bigger. I am 13, I have been flying small rockets for 10 years now.
Thanks,

But can it be done with the same rocket...? that would be interesting.

Art Hoag did fly L1, L2, and L3 motors in the same rocket in the same day, though an I540 is barely an L1 motor and the M put it up pretty high!

From the NCR Launch Logs archive:
10/04/2008 North Site - Pawnee National Grasslands Cheaper than A Girl I540WT 0 1 Day, 1 Rocket, 3 Certs Flight One
10/04/2008 North Site - Pawnee National Grasslands Cheaper Than A Girl K570WW 0 1 day, 1 Rocket, 3 certs - Flight 2
10/04/2008 North Site - Pawnee National Grasslands Cheaper than a Girl M1297W 0 1 day, 1 rocket 3 certs

Art's a pretty impressive "kid". He's pretty amazing with a paint gun, too... he did the yellow/black on my "Excess In Moderation".
-Ken

Back