CG Sticker placement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm putting the finishing touches on my first serious mid-power rocket and got some of those cool little CP/CG stickers. The CP sticker will obviously go where my sims tell me to put it, but I'm wondering about marking the center of gravity. I'm realizing that its kind of pointless (apart from looking cool) because the CG is going to change depending on what motor I use. So now I'm wondering what the best practice for using these indicators is? Mark the CG without the motor? move and re-apply every time you change motors? not even bother with the CG sticker?

rob

I just put CP stickers as the CG wafts around a bit depending on motors and everything else. I check balance just before going to the RSO.

If you do fit it it may give you confidence in static stability where skepticism is perhaps warranted.

You could place the Cg sticker one caliber ahead of the Cp sticker (or whatever margin you prefer) and then write the words "Aftmost Limit" next to it. As long as your actual Cg falls forward of that limit you should be stable.

You could place the Cg sticker one caliber ahead of the Cp sticker (or whatever margin you prefer) and then write the words "Aftmost Limit" next to it. As long as your actual Cg falls forward of that limit you should be stable.

+1 I like to put it at the 1 cal mark, or whatever you feel comfortable with as a minimum to fly safely. Thus if my actual CG is ahead of it, I know I'm good to fly. Also, easy to show the RSO.

I suppose for a short, squat rocket, that might be less than 1 cal.

When I mark CG, this is generally what I do.

+1 I like to put it at the 1 cal mark, or whatever you feel comfortable with as a minimum to fly safely. Thus if my actual CG is ahead of it, I know I'm good to fly. Also, easy to show the RSO.

I suppose for a short, squat rocket, that might be less than 1 cal.

Bingo!

Back