Neil_W's half-baked design thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That white one looks interesting... got any better pics of it? Do I spy not one but multiple tail rings?

Oh man! Don't EVEN look at it. If I had Autocad experience back then, I prolly could have morphed it better. Pencil and paper are all I had. Yes, but not really tail rings. More like...uh.....arches? They were cut and glued on without much support. I did however, manage to hang on to it and cannibalize it for nose cones and other parts. I use the airframe to this day as a paint test for rattle cans. And no, that's the only pic I have. A few of the others are still around though. That Fiddle Faddle saw enough flights. I shelved it because of age and replaced it with stronger better Fiddle Faddles.

Got to see JJSR's Nibiru-X today, and I have to say it is pretty dang nifty. Tempts me to go back and work on that design some more (more so the paint scheme than anything else).

Also saw his Holycluster which came out extremely cool as well. His wing details are way better than what I originally posted. Might steal those for another design sometime. ;)

Hey Neil, How about sliding me the specs and templates, or, the cutaway O.R. version showing all the inside details of that Plasma Dart. I can trace that OR drawing in CAD and size her up to a scale of my liking. I feel like building that one. :grin:

Here's a good side view (click for giant version):
plasma_dart.jpg
From front to back: PNC55BB, 2" BT55, 1" 5560 transition, 1" 6050 transition, 10" BT50, 1" 5060 transition, 4" BT60, then 24mm motor mount extends another .5". 26" total.

I think you can derive all remaining dimensions from that, including the fins (in combination with the drawing.) Interior structure is not designed, but you don't need my help for that anyway. I'd imagine a BT50 stuffer tube all the way through to the frontmost transition. I'd also imagine you're going to upscale it. :)

Look forward to seeing it!

Here's a good side view (click for giant version):
View attachment 327707
From front to back: PNC55BB, 2" BT55, 1" 5560 transition, 1" 6050 transition, 10" BT50, 1" 5060 transition, 4" BT60, then 24mm motor mount extends another .5". 26" total.

I think you can derive all remaining dimensions from that, including the fins (in combination with the drawing.) Interior structure is not designed, but you don't need my help for that anyway. I'd imagine a BT50 stuffer tube all the way through to the frontmost transition. I'd also imagine you're going to upscale it. :)

Look forward to seeing it!

Perfect!

It already measures up to nearly 28", which is a nice size. The next tube(s) up work almost perfect except that BT55 goes to something like a BT63. If I upscale it, I'd have to modify the upper shroud to fit a 60 and turn a nose cone. Works out to 37.5". That's an even nicer size....:grin:

I have a drawing, but I fudged the 55 and made it too long, so I fixed it and that's when I realized there's no room in there for a chute. Maybe you thought of having it in the BT 50?

It already measures up to nearly 28", which is a nice size. The next tube(s) up work almost perfect except that BT55 goes to something like a BT63. If I upscale it, I'd have to modify the upper shroud to fit a 60 and turn a nose cone. Works out to 37.5". That's an even nicer size....:grin:

What about BT70/80/3.1"? The outer tube would be a tad small... but it would be COOL. 29mm, ply fins, etc. 5ft tall, almost exactly 2x.

What about BT70/80/3.1"? The outer tube would be a tad small... but it would be COOL. 29mm, ply fins, etc. 5ft tall, almost exactly 2x.

The next step up (using standard LPR tubes) would be BT 70 - 60 - 80, (with some tweaking of the design) standing 41", but the nose cone maxes my lathe out. That's 10'25" long and that's really pushing it. I really need a little over an inch of wood on either side to spare for the live center and the spur parts of the lathe to embed. I'm sure I could pull off a BT 70 version with no problem, but I'm really thinking of keeping it to Neil's design specs. It's a nice size design with less wood to sand.....:p

Here's a 2D replica that gives you some idea of a finishing scheme I'm playing with. This 1st rendering runs amok with green plasma. I'm not at all sold on this, as I have some other ideas to play with.

Plasma Dart 1.jpg

The next step up (using standard LPR tubes) would be BT 70 - 60 - 80, (with some tweaking of the design) standing 41", but the nose cone maxes my lathe out. That's 10'25" long and that's really pushing it. I really need a little over an inch of wood on either side to spare for the live center and the spur parts of the lathe to embed. I'm sure I could pull off a BT 70 version with no problem, but I'm really thinking of keeping it to Neil's design specs. It's a nice size design with less wood to sand.....:p

Yeah, conical NCs are a pain because no one makes them... Ah well, it was a nice idea.

I assume you meant 10.25in not 10ft 25in?

Yup. That would be my terrible typing skills. That 10" nose cone would also need a shoulder (which I forgot to include) making it at lease another 1.5" longer. There's no way I can turn that. It would have to be special ordered.

Hmm... How about an internal tube with a small NC and a cardstock transition over that?

Like this...
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Yup. That would be my terrible typing skills. That 10" nose cone would also need a shoulder (which I forgot to include) making it at lease another 1.5" longer. There's no way I can turn that. It would have to be special ordered.

No backing out now, you pretty much ahve to make a 10 footer at this point.

Hmm... How about an internal tube with a small NC and a cardstock transition over that?

Like this...
View attachment 327763

Your attachment didn't work. And IF I really wanted to, I could make a 2 piece nose cone which I really don't like to do.

No backing out now, you pretty much ahve to make a 10 footer at this point.
Do I "ahve" to really? Then you're buying the motors. I can only get up to MPR G's.

Hey, that's *exactly* what I was gonna propose!

Actually I do seriously love that general approach; the wrapped BT under the solid colored strakes looks especially great. I might personally lean more towards white for the sold colored parts, to avoid the whole thing being just *too green*.

BTW, keep trying n mind that this design was thrown together pretty quickly, so don't treat the various dimensions as gospel.

First in a possibly long series of explorations. There are possibilities here but it make take me a while to find the right way to take advantage.
attachment.php

cr1.png

First in a possibly long series of explorations. There are possibilities here but it make take me a while to find the right way to take advantage.

You are diverse. I give you that. A man that can whip out as many curved fins as he can uncurved ones. Yeah I know, uncurved really isn't a word. And do tell, are those rings ascending in size, or are they solid. The solid look is very appealing to me.

attachment.php

I like it! I''m personally a fan of the separate rings rather than solid...

And do tell, are those rings ascending in size, or are they solid. The solid look is very appealing to me.

They are ascending in size, with the profile intended to match the curve of the leading edge of the fins (although it doesn't show as well as I'd like; maybe it could be accentuated with a proper paint job). What do you mean by "are they solid"?

They are ascending in size, with the profile intended to match the curve of the leading edge of the fins (although it doesn't show as well as I'd like; maybe it could be accentuated with a proper paint job). What do you mean by "are they solid"?

In the pic, there's a rocket with a white nose cone. Just below it, there is a 50/55. 1/8" wound paper CR to give some exterior aesthetics. Your drawing looks like a series of those that get larger as they close in on the fin can. Is that what they are? Sure would look cool if they were.

DSCF2298.JPG

I *think* he's using the thinner flat cardstock ones.

I was considering building one... Then I saw that beautiful curve on the fins and decided to stick with straight lines for now. I have a hard enough time cutting those already.

Back