Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
    Neil, when I decided to bend some balsa for a past project, I considered what luthiers do. Although they use steam ovens and pressure plates, the idea of heat and water is where I went with it. Plus, I made some forming plates out of heavy duty tubes, My wood bending experiment was such, that the wood stayed bent. Not a dramatic bend like making a ring, but nonetheless, a bend that still holding up 4 years later. I've heard about using Windex as it allows the wood to bend better, but never tried it. I suppose you could say, "It doesn't keep it's shape so well?" Maybe using heat is in order.

Thinking outside the box is normal for me. Went inside the box once and got claustrophobic.
    Can't never did!
    Inventions weren't created by skeptics.
    There's a bright side to every screwed up week.

RocketNoob did a cool experiment flattening wood with various methods. By his results, the windex soak worked best over steaming, water spritz, water soak, and just plain dry clamping (of course).

"I'm at least 70% confident about whatever I say (90% of the time)"- college me

NAR 101195
    Level 1: Big SAM, 9/10/16

Quote Originally Posted by Nytrunner View Post
    RocketNoob did a cool experiment flattening wood with various methods. By his results, the windex soak worked best over steaming, water spritz, water soak, and just plain dry clamping (of course).
    Flattening is another whole can of worms. I've tried many different methods of which only one seemed to work, and that was under pressure, dry, for an undetermined period of time. A little heat would have probably sped things up a bit, but no amount of water of Windex was helpful at all. Bending is surely, quite different.

Thinking outside the box is normal for me. Went inside the box once and got claustrophobic.
    Can't never did!
    Inventions weren't created by skeptics.
    There's a bright side to every screwed up week.