Neil_W's half-baked design thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The disc motif is great. It reminds me ~50s/60s rayguns from sci-fi and comics (Spaceman Spiff!).

It would be neat to see some of those up near the nose cone. May help your "boring front matter" issue?

The disc motif is great. It reminds me ~50s/60s rayguns from sci-fi and comics (Spaceman Spiff!).

It would be neat to see some of those up near the nose cone. May help your "boring front matter" issue?

Yeah, what about something along those lines w/ a different fin can to complement the Avalon's vertical strakes?

Hmm, more interest here than I expected.

1: the rings as shown are 1/8" wide unobtainium. Procurement and/or fabrication details to be worried about later.

2: more discs will inevitably end up in the front. This was just a quick first try to see if it looked like it had any promise at all.

I was considering building one... Then I saw that beautiful curve on the fins and decided to stick with straight lines for now. I have a hard enough time cutting those already.

Just takes a sharp knife and some practice. Go get a sacrificial sheet of balsa and start cutting! Or do like I did and scratch build an upscale Quinstar; once you're done with that you'll be a pro. :)

Hmm, more interest here than I expected.

1: the rings as shown are 1/8" wide unobtainium. Procurement and/or fabrication details to be worried about later.

Unobtanium is very much like Upsidasium. Found nowhere and must be fabricated. Sounds like a challenge that might have to be met using dual flat CR's spaced with a ring around them. Or just a stack of flat CR's that take up 1/8". Dasa spensive way ta use dem CR's man.

This looks incredibly cool but IMHO it might be a bit too much plasma (although once it's your build it's totally up to you, obviously):
attachment.php

I'm gonna play around some more.

BTW: the plasma image doesn't wrap seemlessly, so on the forward section it'd need some fixing (I've hidden the seam on the far side). Where there are fins, the seam can be under a fin.

Attachments

• plasma_render.png
    plasma_render.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
This looks incredibly cool but IMHO it might be a bit too much plasma (although once it's your build it's totally up to you, obviously):
attachment.php

I dunno.....It is, after all, a space dart/projectile loaded with plasma? I think it looks great. Serious eye catcher.

If you limit the plasma wrap to the mid section (between those long bracing fins), it makes it look like a warp core!

K'tesh, said it. Not Meeeee. I dint do ennything. It was him fault. Not mine. Blame it on him. He done it. I jus drew it.

Smiley Tongue.jpg

Just throwin' it out there.

attachment.php

Agreed that the last one especially, but maybe all of these, need a bit more decal work to really finish them off.

I do like the "warp core" look. I was actually trying for that in another design (not published here) but didn't think of using a cool wrap image like that.

Attachments

• plasma_render2.png
    plasma_render2.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
The second of those looks really good, quite a lot like a Borg version of voyager's core! Just needs a bit more detailing to bring it to life.

latest

More fun with canards:
attachment.php

Apparently, as long as I have fins mounted to transitions then I am happy.

I was planning to move on from this design but it seems to be quite fun to fiddle with...

Attachments

• plasma_canards2.png
    plasma_canards2.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
More fun with canards:
attachment.php

Apparently, as long as I have fins mounted to transitions then I am happy.

I was planning to move on from this design but it seems to be quite fun to fiddle with...

Here's what I would do...

Stretch the area between the two fore transitions to 2" or so.
Make the canards flush with said section and have 6 of them or so.

Just a thought...

Stretch the area between the two fore transitions to 2" or so.
Make the canards flush with said section and have 6 of them or so.

Like this?
attachment.php

The previous scheme looks pretty good with 6 canards as well...
attachment.php

Gotta find a way to put this design down, looks like it's not gonna be easy. ;)

Attachments

• plasma_canards3.png
    plasma_canards3.png
    24 KB · Views: 389
  • plasma_canards4.png
    plasma_canards4.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
One day I will have an original thought and stop rehashing the same themes over and over.

Today is not that day.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ovalcan.png
    ovalcan.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
Like this?
attachment.php

The previous scheme looks pretty good with 6 canards as well...
attachment.php

Gotta find a way to put this design down, looks like it's not gonna be easy. ;)

I meant with the top of the canard flush with the OD of the rocket, like the "warp core" ribs... But that second one looks pretty nice, especially if the trailing slope matches the transition... Maybe shorten the cone/lengthen the canards so that matches as well?

I've caught the bug... I used to make sensible sport-scale stuff, but now all I can think about is crazy sci-fi rockets...

I meant with the top of the canard flush with the OD of the rocket, like the "warp core" ribs... But that second one looks pretty nice, especially if the trailing slope matches the transition... Maybe shorten the cone/lengthen the canards so that matches as well?

I've caught the bug... I used to make sensible sport-scale stuff, but now all I can think about is crazy sci-fi rockets...
Heeeeeere ya go:
View attachment plasma_dart_canard2.ork
BTW: "sensible"??? Haven't heard that word used to describe a model rocket before. Plus points for creativity. :wink:

Back