Neil_W's half-baked design thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before we go getting excited, which one of these are you actually going to build?

No plans to build any of them... yet. I will build when I land on something that seems worth building.

Once in a while maybe I get lucky and someone else will build one, which takes me off the hook (for a little while anyway). :)

[edit] I should clarify. I just find designing to be enjoyable. I have *way* more ideas (only a few of which are good, but Sturgeon's law applies) than I have time to build, so spewing ideas into a thread like this is a way for me to keep the juices flowing.

Last edited:
This one vexes me. Proportions are a little closer to correct here, but the whole package is still not quite hanging together yet. I am entirely unsure of 3 fins vs. 4.

I like those rear fins and spars, gonna keep trying. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• arcfin2.png
    arcfin2.png
    125.1 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
You're right, now that I added the canards there's much more similarity. My struts are quite a bit beefier though. I'll have to see if I can evolve it away from the Dark Silver a bit.

Yeah, a bit, although not intentional. I wish I knew what kind of vibe I was actually trying for, might help me to sharpen my focus here...

One thing is certain, those center fins shouldn't be the same size as the forward fins. Too redundant.

There is presently a bit too much going on here and it doesn't quite hang together, but there are several ideas in here that I plan to reuse.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 9.32.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 9.32.07 PM.png
    32 KB · Views: 486
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 9.31.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 9.31.50 PM.png
    22 KB · Views: 477
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 9.32.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 9.32.32 PM.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
I'm starting to feel like this has potential, given the right paint. For now it's light grey now just to contrast with the white background. A bit of "warp core" coloration to the, uh, "warp core", just to show it off. Darn that stupid red CP dot...

attachment.php

Attachments

• plasma_dart_2.png
    plasma_dart_2.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
When I did the Apparition, I also was trying to depict a "warp core" (or similar propulsion construct)
Since I haven't done so in a while I'll take the opportunity to say again how much I love that design. For a while I have had on my todo list to enter it into OR and play around with it. I still get a little itchy thinking about about the leading part of the fins, which in my mindsim would want to flutter like crazy, although you've obviously made them strong enough to manage.

When I first saw it I wasn't really thinking of that middle section as a warp core-like thing (I just thought it was cool), but now that you mention it I do see it. It's a totally different approach vs. my "caged-in" version. I should go play around some more....

For a while I have had on my todo list to enter it into OR and play around with it. .... I should go play around some more....

If you are serious about playing around with it, I'd gladly send you patterns and dimensions. PM me with e-mail address if you are interested.

I am throwing a lot of stuff at the wall these days. Here's a new fin can that I've been curious to play with.
Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 9.05.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 8.50.39 PM.png

I am still liking the previous version of PD2, although it's not nearly finished.

And here's a transition/fin thing that might be fun to work into a science fiction-y design. It would be hard to build.
Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 9.04.09 PM.png

Here we go, everything just eyeballed roughly. Not a bad start.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 9.39.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 9.39.48 PM.png
    29 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
I have all the ork files, but a lot of them go through so many iterations that it seems pointless to post every one (plus I'm lazy).

If there are any in particular that you want, by all means just ask and I'll post it (or them).

Variations, with the three tail tubes made more prominent, and the warp core replaced by patented ExpJawa strakes in the first two, and a SquirrelWorks Liberator-like intake on the third. If anyone's still monitoring this thread I'm genuinely interested in opinions on these.

attachment.php

Attachments

• plasma_variations.png
    plasma_variations.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:
I can tell you from experience, that designing a shroud to fit tubes IN to, is no easy task. I finally had to custom slice & fit, slice & fit, slice & fit, until I got those BT 20's to fit through that shroud. I did try to make a template from all that effort, but it didn't fit either. That was a long while back though. I prolly could do a better job today though. This model was also a spin-off of the Trident with the ejection gas transfer tubes to boot.

DSCF2223.JPG

Back