Neil_W's half-baked design thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread ain't dead! Haven't been doing to much OR hacking lately but did cook up this little trifle on a whim. Kind of cute, a little different from my usual in some respects. Probably needs to be a bit longer.
attachment.php

OH! Man!!
how did I miss this one!?!?,,,
tell me more,, though I could just go by the picture,,,, LOL

Thanks Neil,
I tried a 24mm motor AT D-24 660 feet

VERY NICE,,

Maybe someone already made this observation and I didn't see it. I think all these designs are similar to some of the FlisKits designs. Jim, have you been watching?
They are all great looking rockets and some would be very interesting up-scaled.

I am fiddling with a Faddle (a gap-staged goonie Faddle, to be precise):
upload_2018-8-17_16-44-28.png

The body is longer than Gary specifies, but I need at least a *little* room for a parachute. 24mm in the booster (it's a little slow getting started with a C6-0), 18mm in the sustainer. Works best with a C11-0 in the booster; a D12-0 might send it up too high (stages at over 300', hits over 800' even with an A8 in the sustainer). C11-0 is just right, but the supply is dwindling (BMS still shows them in stock).

Anyway, this is just my first swing at this. Wanna see if I can come up with some more interesting variations.

@lakeroadster 's X-wing got me thinking about this one again. Or maybe I'm just looking for excuses to include curved parts in all my designs nowadays, though entering them in OR is a pain. I kind of like the essence of this one, haven't seen anything like this before, but it feels very unfinished. Someone more accustomed to fighter-style designs could probably fill in the details better than I.

ringfighter_views.png

You DO know what you've gone and done, don't you? You went on a design frenzy and got yourself in a huge enny-meeny-miney-mo conundrum.

Reminds me of the Raptor heavy fighter from the original Wing Commander game. I loved that ship, such a unique (at the time) design.

While stumbling around looking for more pictures of the Scimitar to see if it is even vaguely flyable (probably so, although challenging if you want to try to keep the body shape), and stumbled across this page, which has lots of good stuff. I like this design, which seems to be from Wing Commander 2. It certainly looks like it would fly:
wc2_ship.jpg

I realize I am WAY late on this topic, but maybe this link can help figure out some of the plasma painting issues. I'm considering trying it on an Estes Scorpion with Purple and silver. Could be a cool way to create your own wraps using a base of lime/neon green vinyl sprayed with black paint.

I took a *very* rough crack at modeling the Scimitar in OR. Even with the new version supporting pods (still in alpha testing!) doing this sort of thing is tedious.

scimitar1.png

It's pretty cool but too stubby I think. Will see if there are ways to make a stretched version while still retaining flavor of the original.

Going thru this thread again, and this:
ringfighter_views-png.362126

totally reminded me of the Gunstar from 'The last starfighter' . Consider this a challenge ! :D If you OR it, I'll make it!
upload_2018-11-6_9-55-50.jpeg

Kind of reminds me of Brainlords last build, "Republic Of Mars or Spirit of Cydonia". What ever he called it.

Here's a change of pace. This is a hybrid/bastardized version of the Virgin Orbit Launcher 1. It's a combination of different versions of the design, blended into something I like and that would have a chance of flying. I'm digging rockets with 2 forward wings and 3 tail fins these days.

Sources: 1) current actual version, 2) random CAD model that may or may not be based on a real rocket

upload_2018-12-14_17-48-43.png

If I have the energy I'll add the decals to this one, which should really make it sing.

Nice! Reminds me of a cruise missile. Maybe some air intakes incorporated in the leading front edge of the strakes?
Well, it's actually based off an orbital launch vehicle, although it certainly has resemblance to some cruise missiles. Scoops in the strakes are difficult to add in OR in any case. If you'd like I can post the ORK file if you want to have at it.

I approve of wings
Your Long Tom was one of the rockets that pushed me in this direction. The other one was the Nuclear Sledgehammer (although that one is quite different, it still shares the same core concept).

Hi Neil, its been awhile since I've visited your candy thread, (I mean half baked thread)
WOW
I can't seem to wrap my head around some of the ideas you have here! It wasn't in the cards for me to run up north to retrieve the Nibiru-XNW & Holy cow from my cabin. I can't find more pictures of Holy cow.
The last two pics are from the next Neil W design I'm starting.
Can you guess what one its from?

neil's rocket 155.jpg neil's rocket 128.JPG neil's rocket 077.JPG

holy cow.jpg holy cow2.jpg holy cow.png

no name.jpg no name1.jpg

Back