North Korean Nukes, FOBS, and EMP attack

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, intellectual property theft is long-standing part of their CULTURE and even admired!

Call for Copy - The Culture of Counterfeit in China
JOURNAL OF CHINESE ECONOMICS, 2014 Vol. 2. No. 2, pp 73-78

https://journals.sfu.ca/nwchp/index.php/journal/article/download/34/34

As has been said, "A capitalist will sell you the rope you hang him with" and that is exactly what "we're" doing. Knowledgeable realists like Bannon who aren't OWNED by those enabling and promoting this have been sounding the alarm, but it won't be adequately heard. Note that Bannon is no longer in the WH.

This why we should stop trading with them.

There is a easy way to solve this. A pay per view event (send me the $).

Mr. T versus Mr. K. A duel. At 100 paces. With drum fed grenade launchers. Let's see if Kim is a man. Or a mouse.

duel.jpg

There is a easy way to solve this. A pay per view event (send me the $).

Mr. T versus Mr. K. A duel. At 100 paces. With drum fed grenade launchers. Let's see if Kim is a man. Or a mouse.

View attachment 327471

Perpetuation of a useless stereotype. Unless a heart or head shot, the victim could just as soon get shots off and they'd both be hit. Manfred von Richthofen got shot in the liver in his last dogfight and managed to land the triplane before he croaked. Another fallacy is depicting the inhabitants of a Western towns as a bunch of wimping weaklings. More than likely the inhabitants/people/shopkeepers would band together and deal with any rowdys who tried to make trouble. People were hardy and tough back then.
Kurt

The Red Baron violated one of his own rules: flying low over enemy territory.

He deserved to get snuffed. So does the pipsqueak. Mr. T could do it!

This why we should stop trading with them.
China vs the World: Whose Technology Is It?
Harvard Business Review - Dec 2010

https://hbr.org/2010/12/china-vs-the-world-whose-technology-is-it

"Our studies show that since 2006 the Chinese government has been implementing new policies that seek to appropriate technology from foreign multinationals in several technology-based industries, such as air transportation, power generation, high-speed rail, information technology, and now possibly electric automobiles. These rules limit investment by foreign companies as well as their access to China’s markets, stipulate a high degree of local content in equipment produced in the country, and force the transfer of proprietary technologies from foreign companies to their joint ventures with China’s state-owned enterprises."

Trump's FORMER chief strategist Steven Bannon's 2017 take on how to deal with China - "Bannon’s plan of attack includes: a complaint under Section 301 of the 1974 Trade Act against Chinese coercion of technology transfers from American corporations doing business there..." So much for that great, common sense idea, huh? Stop the sell out? Absolutely not! You're fired!

Source: South China Morning Post

Wang Naiyan, the former chairman of the China Nuclear Society and senior researcher on China’s nuclear weapons programme, said that if Wen’s findings were reliable, there was a risk of a major environmental disaster.

Another test might cause the whole mountain to cave in on itself, leaving only a hole from which radiation could escape and drift across the region, including China, he said.

“We call it ‘taking the roof off’. If the mountain collapses and the hole is exposed, it will let out many bad things.”

Sunday’s blast was followed by an earthquake eight minutes later, which China’s seismic authorities interpreted as a cave-in triggered by the explosion.

"The increasing size of North Korea’s nuclear bombs was also making 'topping' more likely," Wang said.

“A 100 kiloton bomb is a relatively large bomb. The North Korean government should stop the tests as they pose a huge threat not only to North Korea but to other countries, especially China,” he said.

Test site before:

nk%20pre%202.jpg

After:

nk%20post%202_0.jpg

The options:

Kim Jong Un Has A Plan. We Don't, But Here Are Our Options
An integrated strategy featuring a cocktail of new measures is needed to change to status quo on the Korean Peninsula. BY TYLER ROGOWAY
SEPTEMBER 5, 2017

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/14093/kim-jong-un-has-a-plan-we-dont-but-here-are-our-options

Nuclear weapons storage and security system in its up position with B61 tactical nuclear bomb:

Cool. I only wish I had a time machine, and could go back and play him that 60's song about Snoopy and the Red Baron.

He would be shocked and insulted, and challenge me to an aerial battle in obsolete, underpowered biplanes. Of course I would win, would have a couple Sidewinders and a miniGun!

snoppy.jpg

As far as Kims stupid new hobby, let's go with the old "Start a war to fix the economy thing". It worked with WW2, remember? Turned the depression around. We beat everyone. Except the Russians. Oh well.

China vs the World: Whose Technology Is It?
Harvard Business Review - Dec 2010

https://hbr.org/2010/12/china-vs-the-world-whose-technology-is-it

"Our studies show that since 2006 the Chinese government has been implementing new policies that seek to appropriate technology from foreign multinationals in several technology-based industries, such as air transportation, power generation, high-speed rail, information technology, and now possibly electric automobiles. These rules limit investment by foreign companies as well as their access to China’s markets, stipulate a high degree of local content in equipment produced in the country, and force the transfer of proprietary technologies from foreign companies to their joint ventures with China’s state-owned enterprises."

Trump's FORMER chief strategist Steven Bannon's 2017 take on how to deal with China - "Bannon’s plan of attack includes: a complaint under Section 301 of the 1974 Trade Act against Chinese coercion of technology transfers from American corporations doing business there..." So much for that great, common sense idea, huh? Stop the sell out? Absolutely not! You're fired!

The Chinese are a very big problem. I think putting comparable tariffs on their products coming into the US is a starting point. Call it fair trade. If that does not work then stop trade.

We should not allow anything high tech from the US to be made their. They steal everything- we should not help them.

Excuse me, but they have only worked I think less than half the time, in tightly controlled tests, with our own target vehicles. They are easy to fool with mass attack, decoys, manuevering reentry vehicles, etc. THAAD seems to be great, however, expensive.

I don't buy the hit a bullet with a bullet thing. They had a cool kill vehicle that opened up like an umbrella, much bigger area to improve chances of hit. Of course was cancelled. Plus, in the old days the killer Nike missiles had 3 different sizes of Nuke warheads!

Go John Wayne on their @sses!. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Excuse me, but they have only worked I think less than half the time, in tightly controlled tests, with our own target vehicles. They are easy to fool with mass attack, decoys, manuevering reentry vehicles, etc. THAAD seems to be great, however, expensive.

I don't buy the hit a bullet with a bullet thing. They had a cool kill vehicle that opened up like an umbrella, much bigger area to improve chances of hit. Of course was cancelled. Plus, in the old days the killer Nike missiles had 3 different sizes of Nuke warheads!

Go John Wayne on their @sses!. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Fortunately for the rest of us, you don't have to buy it for it to work :cool:. (Thaad interceptors and GMD EKVs are a little on the pricy side anyway)

I hesitate to even ask this, but what exactly do you intend to accomplish by 'smoking 'em'? Mass civilian death and radiation contamination spreading to neighboring countries? If nuclear weapons are used again, the world ends as we know it.

I mean smoke the missiles, not the people. Use a neutron warhead! And I do pay for them with fed taxes.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em goes back to WW2. What your commander said, about cigs.

U.S. Spends Billions on Missile Defense, Still Can’t Reliably Stop a North Korean Attack

https://nymag.com/daily/intelligenc...se-system-probably-cant-stop-north-korea.html

19 tests have been, one half failures. Think of if you had a 50% chance of dying every time you get in your car.

I do like the SM6, works much better, although not super long range:
funny looking booster.
sm6.jpg

https://www.raytheon.com/capabilities/products/sm-6/

I love the UV movies, the blast is multi-color.

WATCH THE VIDEO, stay for the second one, is on THAAD.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nNcsHkxJu64

I mean smoke the missiles, not the people. Use a neutron warhead! And I do pay for them with fed taxes.

U.S. Spends Billions on Missile Defense, Still Can’t Reliably Stop a North Korean Attack

https://nymag.com/daily/intelligenc...se-system-probably-cant-stop-north-korea.html

19 tests have been, one half failures. Think of if you had a 50% chance of dying every time you get in your car.

I do like the SM6, works much better, although not super long range:
funny looking booster.
View attachment 327576

https://www.raytheon.com/capabilities/products/sm-6/

I love the UV movies, the blast is multi-color.

WATCH THE VIDEO, stay for the second one, is on THAAD.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nNcsHkxJu64

My mistake on the smoking.

Although I can speak to that too. ERM warheads (neutron) undergo constant degradation and would require regular maintenance and replenishment of the physics package. The costs of that maintenance (and all the complications that come with Nuke-Surety) make that prohibitively expensive to maintain 24/7 availability.

Keep in mind the history of the Midcourse program. It was fielded by Executive Order in the early 00's Before the normal development/checkout process was complete. Most of it's flight failures can be attributed to that rush-job. It has since had major improvements and continues to increase its capability against decoys and countermeasures.

Anti-missile missiles become very expensive very fast, especially if the NK is just launching another piece of junk practice launch. NK has already launched 19 ballistic missiles this year and the trajectories have been in different directions, ranges, and altitudes.

Fortunately a trajectory is easy to predict for the guys tracking stuff. Why waste any interceptor on a NK test? If it works, you've saved....the ocean? If it doesn't, your nation loses face.

Deterrence work best if the enemy imagines your defense is very very reliable. You don't give your enemy real data. And don't believe the test data the DOD puts out for public consumption either. That is most likely fake news.

Deterrence work best if the enemy imagines your defense is very very reliable. You don't give your enemy real data. And don't believe the test data the DOD puts out for public consumption either. That is most likely fake news.

^^^^ We are all John Snow. We know nothing

On the other hand, without interceptors you have a zero percent chance of survival. A 50% probability of success is still better than zero. And for small numbers, such as what NK is likely to launch, you have the option of launching three at each target.

Still, the best option altogether is to find a way for it to never happen.

On the other hand, without interceptors you have a zero percent chance of survival. A 50% probability of success is still better than zero. And for small numbers, such as what NK is likely to launch, you have the option of launching three at each target.

Still, the best option altogether is to find a way for it to never happen.
Yep, that's why multiple interceptors are launched against each inbound warhead.

NK is likely to be unsophisticated for now with respect to decoys. However, once they aren't, the INHERENT problems with ground based interception of incoming warheads by missile-based ballistic missile defense (as described in that long PDF I linked to) becomes a major problem. The video in the link within the nymag article written by Margaret Hartmann, a journalism major at New York Magazine (which, by the way, is where I get ALL of my military system analysis and effectiveness data) who has the great technical qualification of serving as a press intern for Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton is based upon that very report.

However, as I said, FOR NOW I'm sure NK warheads can be successfully intercepted. It might not take long for that to no longer be true if NK decoy tech and missile and warhead numbers increase.

A potential workaround is this - MUCH smaller and lighter kinetic kill vehicles. As technology advances, their size will be able to decrease significantly. Only a very low mass kinetic kill vehicle is needed. This could develop into entire swarms of kill vehicles lofted by a single ABM. This would end the inherent problem I mentioned above which is that it is always cheaper to include decoys than it is to launch additional ABMs to intercept them if they can't be discerned to be decoys. MOKVs, once small enough, could launch entire swarms of interceptors and simply intercept them all.

Raytheon and Lockheed Martin refine MOKV missile defense to kill several warheads with one launch
April 5, 2017

https://www.militaryaerospace.com/a...defense-to-kill-several-warheads-at-once.html

HOWEVER, the optimal defense would extremely powerful, rapid fire directed energy weapons which are insanely difficult to develop as shown by the "Star Wars" program.

And, basically, as I've previously described, this NK missile/nuke thing is all about this anyway:

"Actually, [Kim's] goal is primarily to prevent regime change and, secondarily, to get trade/aid concessions. Ask Saddam and Gaddafi what happens when you give up your nuclear weapons programs. Oh, wait, you can't. They're both dead."

Kim is a VERY nasty tyrant, but I don't think he's suicidally insane. He knows that if he ever actually used ANY of his missiles or nukes, that would mean his CERTAIN death. Why do you think still photos of him after successful tests show him as absolutely overjoyed, even hugging military officers? It's because those successes further guarantee his very SURVIVAL.

Perhaps all true, Peartree/Winston, but the bottom line is we still have to take out that punk. End that family run cult forever. And gain a foothold close to China. Wreck those fake islands they keep making. When we win we could make NK the 51st state!

I don't feel good about Kim. How rational was Hitler? Hitler stated in Mein Kampf what he was going to do. It is no less comforting that Kim has stated what he is going to do. Since NK has stated that nuclear weapons are non-negotiable, there is nothing to negotiate. This is not a good situation. I always thought that Ronald Reagan's SDI (Strategic Defense Initiative) was far fetched, but perhaps it is time to start talking about it again. The Russians were very concerned about SDI. Perhaps, the Chinese and the Russians might pay more attention if the SDI was being discussed again. A primitive SDI might be able to handle a primitive NK attack. This is something that we could do unilaterally. There are a lot of "perhaps" here, but perhaps a satellite in geostationary orbit above the Pacific Ocean could intercept an NK attack with long range weapons like chemical lasers, particle beams, or Edward Teller's x-ray laser. Going with x-ray laser technology might mean that the US would have to resume nuclear testing. Other future unilateral military ventures like openly inspecting NK or other suspicious cargo vessels with the US Navy ships to find NK missile and nuclear exports would probably lose what good will that we have left with Chinese and Russians.

SDIO --> BMDO --> MDA

SM3 IB/IIA ( JDF ) look pretty okay vs. Kim.
THAAD ( ROKAF ) looks pretty okay as well.

Last edited:
Back