North Korean Nukes, FOBS, and EMP attack

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no worries. But my point was that much of the destructive power of these fusion bombs comes from fission, apparently. From varied sources, the fission of the jacket is almost 1/2 the yield in modern nukes.

Last edited:
The United States has a not so secret weapon that could be used to solve the North Korean problem....

Dennis-Rodman-3-11-14-4.jpg

Most of us do not know, or understand (even those of us with science and engineering backgrounds) the physics well enough to quibble. We just refer back to the way that we learned it:

Uranium = Atomic bomb = fission
Plutonium = Hydrogen bomb = fusion

I realize that this lacks "finesse" but it works.

The first two that were dropped on Japan were Uranium and Plutonium, and neither were fusion.

Hiroshima - Uranium - Gun type atomic bomb = fission
Nagasaki - Plutonium - Implosion type atomic bomb = fission

The Ulam-Teller arrangement was the first fusion type bomb which was a fission-fusion-fission bomb. It's been a while since I've read Richard Rhodes' book, but if I remember correctly the small fission bomb supplied xray energy to a plastic wrap that compressed fusion material inward, which pressed a fission core enough to explode. The core added enough heat and pressure to cause the fusion to take place in the middle material. I also think I remember a surprising amount (maybe most) of the energy from that arrangement came from that inner fission core.

Peartree you said Plutonium = Hydrogen bomb = fusion.

Problem. The Fat man used PU. And it was fission!

Do you know that you cannot slam 2 pieces of PU together to form a critical mass like they did with U235 in Little Boy

(which was actually designed to hit the German sub pens).

Something called PRE-DETONATION occurs, caused by the PU throwing out neutrons all the time. The pieces will

start to react before they combine, no matter how fast you can slam them together.

fatman.jpg

That is why implosion was created.

A fusion bomb uses mostly fusion, needs higher pressure and temperature. It does not matter what it is made out of.

But I think fusion may not be possible with just uranium. There are some smart people here who may verify that, or tell
me I am wrong. Not a physics head, but have learned about this stuff on jobs and recreational reading. Tom Clancys book
Sum of all Fears has a pretty good description of the operation of an H-bomb. By terrorists. They set it off in a stadium,
but the second stage fizzled.

Peartree you said Plutonium = Hydrogen bomb = fusion.

Problem. The Fat man used PU. And it was fission!

Do you know that you cannot slam 2 pieces of PU together to form a critical mass like they did with U235 in Little Boy

Nope. I did not know that.

My grasp of the physics of nuclear devices is pretty much summed up in what I wrote, and clearly, that's wrong.

I've read Tom Clancy. Obviously that didn't stick either.

The other thing I thought I knew was, in terms of explosive yield... Atomic bombs - big. Hydrogen bombs - bigger. But that's probably wrong too.

That is right, H-bombs have lots more yield. In fact, the yield of fission bombs is limited to about 500KT I think.

The major difference is H-bombs are a lot harder to do, takes much more temperature and pressure. Usually a "primary" implosion warhead is used to "ignite" the secondary one.

You can use the neutrons from the primary, radiation, or, the LIGHT! Yes, light. That is the Teller-Ulam config.

It should have been Ulam-Teller, as while they were pondering how to do it, Stan Ulam HAD A DREAM (how the guy figured out the DNA structure) that after detonation, when the neutrons were 4" out, the light would be 3 feet out.

He woke up and drew the first one. Imagine a bunch of fiber optic cables. Wound half way around the primary, then continuing around the secondary, in helical fashion.

The light goes in at right angles, thru the fiber, then out at right angles into the secondary. No joke, there is so much light that it provides TONS of pressure to compress it. Not like a wimpy solar sail with grams of force.

I am not that big on physics either, but respect it. Much of it is like magic, action at a distance with invisible forces, like magnetism, and gravity. The quantum theory is baffling, but seems to work. I've learned lots of fancy stuff like calculus, but it turns out in my field of electronics, simple stuff like ohms law is what I use the most. And common sense. Hard to achieve!

Note there are many configs, one called The Layer Cake which is just one warhead, but has various layers of uranium and PU, actually does some fusion without a secondary. I really don't know what is in fashion today. But doubt NK did achieve fusion. Kim is a big liar.
bomb.jpg

Like I said, the REAL threat all along was EMP. It doesn't require much missile accuracy at all.

The report from today by North Korea’s official KCNA news agency:

“The H-bomb, the explosive power of which is adjustable from tens kiloton to hundreds kiloton, is a multi-functional thermonuclear nuke with great destructive power which can be detonated even at high altitudes for super-powerful EMP (electromagnetic pulse) attack according to strategic goals,” KCNA said.

“All components of the H-bomb were homemade and all the processes ... were put on the Juche basis, thus enabling the country to produce powerful nuclear weapons as many as it wants,” KCNA quoted Kim as saying.

Juche is North Korea’s homegrown ideology of self-reliance that is a mix of Marxism and extreme nationalism preached by state founder Kim Il Sung, the current leader’s grandfather. It says its weapons programs are needed to counter U.S. aggression.

Actually, it's for what all tyrants want nukes for - regime change prevention and, with NK, a bartering position for things like FOOD.

North Korea may be preparing for sixth nuclear weapon test, South Korea says
by Melissa Quinn | Aug 28, 2017

"Kim Byung-kee, a member of South Korea's Democratic Party, said the South Korean intelligence agency reported that North Korea "has completed its preparation to carry out a nuclear test at Tunnel 2 and Tunnel 3 of the Punggye-ri nuclear test site."

The lawmaker added that the National Intelligence Service also detected activity indicating Tunnel 4 was being prepared for additional construction work. Work on the tunnel was stopped last year."

We'll see how big of a boom they make this time. The last one detonated on 9 September 2016 was 15 to 25 kilotons. From open literature, the much more compact and lighter US primaries are around 40 kilotons and have been since the mid 50s.

The fission primary is the large spherical end, the fusion secondary the smaller spherical end. The black thing on the fission primary is most likely an external neutron generator to be fired when the fissile core is supercritical. Highly precise timing of that is essential and not easy. The cylindrical section is the firing electronics.

2017-09-02T231810Z_1290190102_RC17D4552410_RTRMADP_3_NORTHKOREA-NUCLEAR.JPG

r

DIwWy4vUEAECYoN.jpg

North Korea may be preparing for sixth nuclear weapon test, South Korea says
by Melissa Quinn | Aug 28, 2017

"Kim Byung-kee, a member of South Korea's Democratic Party, said the South Korean intelligence agency reported that North Korea "has completed its preparation to carry out a nuclear test at Tunnel 2 and Tunnel 3 of the Punggye-ri nuclear test site."
Looks like they just tried it out. USGS and others are reporting a 6.3 mag explosion. Talking heads on TV say the device may have been placed several months ago, waiting for the proper political opportunity to set it off.

Looks like they just tried it out. USGS and others are reporting a 6.3 mag explosion. Talking heads on TV say the device may have been placed several months ago, waiting for the proper political opportunity to set it off.
Estimated 100 kilotons and since it is speculated that NK has been cooperating with Iran in the design process, Iran might have the capability, but not the fissile nuclear material, to make one now, too. I'm impressed. Thermonuclear bomb tech ain't easy.

N. Korea's apparent sixth nuke test estimated to have yield of 100 kilotons

https://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2017/09/03/0200000000AEN20170903002700315.html

SEOUL, Sept. 3 (Yonhap) -- North Korea's apparent sixth nuclear test was estimated to have a yield of up to 100 kilotons, about four to five times stronger than the nuclear bomb dropped on Nagasaki, Japan, in 1945, the chief of the parliament's defense committee said Sunday.

"(The North's latest test) is estimated to have a yield of up to 100 kilotons, though it is a provisional report," Kim of the minor opposition Bareun Party told Yonhap News Agency over the phone.

Like I said, the REAL threat all along was EMP. It doesn't require much missile accuracy at all.
Forgot to mention that it's also an asymmetrical threat. EMP would be vastly more damaging to a high-tech nation like the US, SK or Japan than to a dark at night nation like NK. Therefore, it would be impossible to effectively retaliate in kind. A NK EMP attack would only indirectly kill people through things like power failures at hospitals, non-functional traffic lights, failure of food refrigeration, etc., whereas any useful nuclear retaliation on NK would directly kill people. A precision conventional attack would be no more likely to kill Kim that it was in killing Saddam.

article-2725415-208925A500000578-155_964x644.jpg

"The black thing on the fission primary is most likely an external neutron generator to be fired when the fissile core is supercritical."

I don't think so. Initiators are always in the very center of the pit. The blk thing may be a pressure or other sensor.

NK will never attack us, because then China will not help them. All we have to do is sit back and do nothing. Except wait

for the pipsqueak to die from "natural causes"!
:grin:

"The black thing on the fission primary is most likely an external neutron generator to be fired when the fissile core is supercritical."

I don't think so. Initiators are always in the very center of the pit. The blk thing may be a pressure or other sensor.

NK will never attack us, because then China will not help them. All we have to do is sit back and do nothing. Except wait

for the pipsqueak to die from "natural causes"!
:grin:
You describe antique beryllium/polonium initiators like the ones used in the very earliest US devices although I've read speculation that they might still be used in artillery warheads for obvious reasons. External neutron generators for devices that aren't space and extreme g-force constrained are far superior. They use a high voltage pulse to generate a precisely timed pulse of high energy neutrons.

World's smallest neutron generator – it's not just for nukes anymore

https://newatlas.com/sandia-neutristor-neutron-generator-chip/23856/

"There are two main problems with accelerator-based neutron generators – their size and their cost. There are applications for which a three inch (7.5 cm) cylinder is too large, either physically (implanted neutron cancer therapy), or when a point source of neutrons is desired (e.g., for neutron inspection of weld flaws). Also, accelerator-based generators start at about a hundred thousand U.S. dollars, which is too large a price for some uses."

Cost is no object for nukes and a point source is not what is required. Note the mention of size. NK's version is slightly larger than that and the size example given is undoubtedly for a civilian use generator anyway as I doubt the specs for the ones used in nukes are available although I've been surprised in the past by what can be found online.

The woman on the left is working for Kim? Oh well, at least she found a new job.

They never said those new generators are used in bombs.

Stuck on the outside, they would be destroyed before implosion could occur.

Bombs must operate very symmetrically. For example, if a few dets fail to fire, and the implosion is uneven, it will not work.

The "ancient" init in the center is perfectly placed to toss out a handful of neutrons when the temperature AND pressure are correct, it is a very touchy operation. It has been said that the init was as hard to develop as the whole rest of the bomb. Do you really think that after being perfected, with scads of underground tests, which CANNOT BE DONE ANYMORE, they would substitute it with some new fangled device which cannot be given a full up test? No way.

The implosion comes from the outside in, any gizmo on the outside will be vaporized before the real action starts. And it would not be in the right place to inject neutrons anyway. Also, doubtful any control system could be build that could trigger it at the right time, you are dealing with nanoseconds here. A passive, self-triggering device is the only way to do it.

Sandia works on lots of stuff that don't go in bombs. For industry. Give stuff away like NASA does. I worked on the Fluid Combustion Facility on the ISS, only cost a half a billion dollars. Still waiting for the improved hot water heater they promised would come about. :facepalm:

nw-1.jpg

Stuck on the outside, they would be destroyed before implosion could occur.
Wrong. The implosion shock wave traveling through HE is VASTLY faster than the outgoing air coupled shockwave. The pit will be hit by the implosion wave and be compressed before the external initiator is destroyed. Also, note the standoff used for the neutron generator. Can you figure out why that might be?

"Also, note the standoff used for the neutron generator. Can you figure out why that might be?"

No. I do not believe an external device will work. You have to inject the neutrons to the CENTER of the implosion mass. It would be impossible to project them thru that dense mass.

When the HE goes off, the whole assy is going to SHRINK. That thing stuck on the outside will be ripped apart. Forget shock waves, it is actually matter compression.

Another thing, those newfangled gens, if used on bombs, would not have had their picture published, and they would be SECRET. If I am not believed on these matters, please ask your friendly neighborhood warhead designer about it!

desig.jpg

note interesting lack of ID badges, which all employees must have hanging on front of shirt.
Did not want them in the pic!

"political" comment. This is ALL being orchestrated by China. The narrative that Kim is some uncontrollable maniac is misinformation. The missile tech and bomb tech is all coming from Beijing. The missile launch and bomb tests are all being timed from China. Don't be fooled. This is all about control of the South Pacific and the eventual reunification of Taiwan.

"political" comment. This is ALL being orchestrated by China. The narrative that Kim is some uncontrollable maniac is misinformation. The missile tech and bomb tech is all coming from Beijing. The missile launch and bomb tests are all being timed from China. Don't be fooled. This is all about control of the South Pacific and the eventual reunification of Taiwan.

Certainly possible. I like the idea put forth by Steve Mnuchin that simply states that is you do any business with North Korea you will not do business with us. I think that if we put that into place that will finally pressure China into handling this situation- there is too much monetary loss to endure. Would it cause us some issues if we suddenly stopped trading with China- certainly. I still think we might be better off, and would bare that better than the Chinese.

I don't think China is stupid enough to help that crackpot with nukes. Besides chance of being caught, the guy could flip out at any time.

More likely got help from KHAN.

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/12/...-how-pakistani-built-his-network.html?mcubz=0

But what has become clear in recent days is that Dr. Khan, a Pakistani national hero who began his rise 30 years ago by importing nuclear equipment to secretly build his country's atom bomb, gradually transformed himself into the largest and most sophisticated exporter in the nuclear black market.
''It was an astounding transformation when you think about it, something we've never seen before,'' said a senior American official who has reviewed the intelligence. ''First, he exploits a fragmented market and develops a quite advanced nuclear arsenal. Then he throws the switch, reverses the flow and figures out how to sell the whole kit, right down to the bomb designs, to some of the world's worst governments.''

Later, his network acquired another customer: North Korea, which was desperate for a more surreptitious way to build nuclear weapons after the United States had frozen the North's huge plutonium-production facilities in Yongbyon.

NOT TO MENTION when Reagon destroyed the USSR, many Russian nuke scientists were looking for work. We could have hired them to work on waste disposal or something, for $100,000 each, cheap. 30 were caught trying to go to NK. Note how they got the rocket engines.

kahn.jpg

Kim won't use his nukes preemptively because that would mean his absolutely certain death. For him, his survival is the whole point in having them and the missiles. That's why he looks so uncharacteristically overjoyed in the successful missile test still photos.

Chinese-made sub-components have been found in the recovered debris of NK missiles which landed at sea, but that could also be accomplished via straw man purchases or via Iran which is theorized to be cooperating with the NK missile and nuclear effort. There's an advanced Russian anti-aircraft missile which the NKs have recently successfully fired their copy of and I suspect they probably got the original from Iran who buys most of their military hardware from Russia.

China definitely wants NK as a buffer between it and the US friendly SK. They don't want a unified Korea. However, by Kim acting as he has, all that's doing is moving SK and Japan more firmly into the US camp, giving the excuse to place and/or sell US ABM assets into the area which also counters any threat from China although to a lesser extent than with NK with its more limited number of warheads. That's not the best thing for China as far as they are concerned.

"The nuclear test took place at exactly noon local time at North Korea’s Punggye-ri testing site and was recorded as a 6.3-magnitude earthquake, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. It was followed eight minutes later by a 4.1-magnitude earthquake that appeared to be a tunnel collapsing at the site."

Perhaps a subsidence crater we'll see in satellite photos? Could be just the cavern roof dropping, too.

Some of our underground test craters:

Gowin-Emmet-Subsidence-Cra.jpg

Here's the cavern formed by a mere 3.1 kt blast during the Project Gnome underground nuclear test of Operation Plowshare:

GDLsR7t.jpg

"Also, note the standoff used for the neutron generator. Can you figure out why that might be?"

No. I do not believe an external device will work. You have to inject the neutrons to the CENTER of the implosion mass. It would be impossible to project them thru that dense mass.
At this point, you're just arguing to argue and will now be in my ignore mode.

0e9c25ce0f24a0a612f4b275f0d8323e.jpg

It sure makes a person wonder. During the Cuban Missile Crisis the USSR outright shipped nuclear-tipped missiles to Cuba. In this case China could be helping in clandestine ways. Where does NK get the diesel trucks and equipment for transporting the solid propellant ballistic missiles? In the case of the Cuban Missile Crisis Pres. Kennedy stated that an attack on the US would be considered to be an attack by the Soviet Union. In the current situation since NK has home-grown missiles it appears that China has completely clean hands. How convenient. NK inflicts major economic damage on the US and China is completely untouched. Obviously, China and Russia are major actors in this situation and our news media just assumes that China is our friend. You just know that there are factions in China that like the current situation.

There are many reasonable future scenarios. Here are some that come to mind:
1) Accept the current situation and practice some kind of containment strategy like the US did with the Soviet Union decades ago. Even our news media is now talking about this out loud.
2) Pre-emptive military strikes that lead to all kinds of scenarios with large losses of life on the Korean peninsula and open ended scenarios with China and even Russia.
3) A naval blockade would be difficult because the US would need a fleet on both sides of the peninsula. The blockade would be never-ending because land trade could still be done on the Chinese and perhaps Russian border. Perhaps, NK could be stopped from trading nuclear arms with foreign countries.
4) Arming S. Korea and Japan with nuclear weapons, but this could really be just a variation of scenario no. 1.
5) Perhaps, NK could be persuaded to give up its nuclear weapons plans in exchange for a promise of cessation of US/S.Korean joint military exercises. However, it seems that the US does not want to trade away the military exercise option. Also, there is the possibility that NK does not want to give up their weapons program for anything, which takes us back to scenario no. 1. There is the possibility of public embarrassment here. The US could publicly offer this kind of trade and NK could refuse making the US look bad and emboldening NK even more.
6) Helping S. Korea and Japan with missile weapon defense systems, which is something we are already doing. Also, we have our own short range and long range anti-missiles. This again is something like scenario no. 1. S. Korea, the US, and Japan could start firing anti-missiles at NK ballistic missile launches, but what if they miss. The public embarrassment would be great. Also, it is cheaper in the long run to build MRB's, IRBM's, and ICBM's than it is to build anti-missiles. (This is why MIRV's were developed in the first place. At the moment NK is a long way from developing MIRV's. ) One thing about launching anti-missiles is that it might slow down the NK missile development program, like good targeting ability and good re-entry vehicles.
7) Along idea of scenario no. 6 is the possibility that the US could resurrect SDI (Strategic Defense Initiative) that Ronald Reagan was so found of. In a away the current long range US anti-missile program is a limited variation of this. While the current long range anti-missile program does not put a dent in the mutually assured destruction (MAD) that the world lives by, it might be effective against a rogue nation as NK or evenutally even Iran. However, SDI envisioned many ideas like orbiting chemical lasers, directed particle beams, brilliant pebbles, etc. One interesting idea was envisioned by Teller as a nuclear bomb aligning x-ray laser beams toward ballistic missiles just as the bomb blew itself out of existence.

Ditto on all of Bannon's points in the following text but, of course, the smartest staff must leave the WH:

“There’s no military solution to [North Korea’s nuclear threats], forget it. Until somebody solves the part of the equation that shows me that ten million people in Seoul don’t die in the first 30 minutes from conventional weapons, I don’t know what you’re talking about, there’s no military solution here, they go us,” (Steve) Bannon said. “To me, the economic war with China is everything. And we have to be maniacally focused on that. If we continue to lose it, we’re five years away, I think, ten years at most, of hitting an inflection point from which we’ll never be able to recover.”

The timing of the test is notable. It comes just as China’s leadership is set to hold its Communist Party congress this week, marking the start of China’s President Xi Jinping’s second term. It is a sort of presidential inauguration, political convention, and state of the union address all wrapped up into one. It is meant to show off the power of Xi at home, the prosperity of China, and its influence–even dominance–in the region.

Having North Korea set off a nuclear bomb that rattles China’s cities is an embarrassment for Xi, potentially a signal that he may have less influence over his smaller, impoverished neighbor than his posture of being regionally dominant would otherwise suggest.

While some have interpreted that as Trump being gentle on China, perhaps letting it off the hook for North Korea’s actions, it is much more likely to be interpreted in China as a challenge to Xi’s leadership. The Chinese president does not want to be seen as having “little success” at something he is attempting to accomplish.

China, however, may still be attempting to out-maneuver the U.S. by using North Korea to win further concessions on trade. Bannon warned about these tactics in his August 16 interview with Kuttner.

“We’re at economic war with China,” he said. “It’s in all their literature. They’re not shy about saying what they’re doing. One of us is going to be a hegemon in 25 or 30 years and its going to be them if we go down this path. On Korea, they’re just tapping us along. It’s just a sideshow.”

Don't forget China is a communist country and a closed society. Democracy within the country as we know it does not exist. Just talk to Christian missionaries that have worked there. The internal government and especially the top echelons probably consist of factions. We might very well be seeing a collection of different motives. China has come a long way in public relations since the days of the Vietnam war when they coined the term "paper tiger" for the US. The diplomacy of Henry Kissinger and Richard Nixon did wonders for introducing China to the concept of world trade and getting along with the world. However, look at the South China Sea, where China is building and claiming islands as military bases. These are actions that hardly make China look like an enlightened despotism. Bannon's observations of seeing China as a growing economic power to be reckoned with are well taken.

Last edited:
Ok, Winston, I guess you were right. I have just never heard of the external init. technique. I stand corrected.

When it comes to numbers, I generally don't trust public internet sources like wiki and nuke archive for information about modern nuclear weapons. That being said, I consider any warhead that employs fusion (primary or secondary) a fusion warhead.

In your eyes this is only boosted fission, and that's fine. But to say the US has no fusion weapons is inaccurate in my opinion.

The only logical way to end this is to trek over to Pantex, ask them to drop one on us, and report on whether the fission or the fusion hurt more :cool:
Everyone is just arguing semantics.

We have no PURE fusion warheads. Neither does anyone else. You need the soft x-rays which comprise 80% of the energy from the fissioning core to be focussed via an x-ray lens on the fusion secondary in order to implode it. This was the famous "H-Bomb secret" that was published back in the late 70s. The government tried to stop the publication of that and failed since the author simply obtained, compiled, and surmised that info from unclassified sources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Progressive,_Inc.

The Soviet's early "layer cake" design did it differently by intermingling fusion fuel (lithium deuteride) with fissile materials in a spherical configuration, but that is a far less efficient method than what I outlined above.

The great Chuck Hansen's incredibly extensive research into unclassified sources produced a book I bought on a publisher's clearance sale ($14.95 IIRC) a long time ago:

U.S. Nuclear Weapons the Secret History Hardcover

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0517567407/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

He (and now his survivors) also publish an (expensive) CD-ROM set which contains much more than even his book above:

Swords of Armgeddon

https://www.uscoldwar.com/toc.htm

For freely available nitty gritty technical details, there's the Nuclear Weapons FAQ (NWFAQ) portion on this page:

The Nuclear Weapon Archive

https://nuclearweaponarchive.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Bannon's observations of seeing China as a growing economic power to be reckoned with are well taken.
Also, intellectual property theft is long-standing part of their CULTURE and even admired!

Call for Copy - The Culture of Counterfeit in China
JOURNAL OF CHINESE ECONOMICS, 2014 Vol. 2. No. 2, pp 73-78

https://journals.sfu.ca/nwchp/index.php/journal/article/download/34/34

As has been said, "A capitalist will sell you the rope you hang him with" and that is exactly what "we're" doing. Knowledgeable realists like Bannon who aren't OWNED by those enabling and promoting this have been sounding the alarm, but it won't be adequately heard. Note that Bannon is no longer in the WH.

I hate to pick on your statements. I am not a physics head, but have tried to learn something, besides the AFF arming, fuzing, firing junk I know about.

It is my understanding that Stan Ulam developed the idea of using LIGHT to compress the secondary, in a dream.
While neutrons were 6" out, the light would be 3' out, and there is a lot of it. Enough to supply tons of force. That is why the first Hbomb used light. I think there are some kind of glass or fiber optic cables that route it.

In this ref
https://www.atomicarchive.com/Effects/effects1.shtml

it shows 35% in thermal energy, including light. Radiation (xrays) is 15%.

So not sure about the Xray lens thing. I do know that the early GIANT Hbombs, like 20' long, 6' in diameter, used
some kind of neutron reflectors. So there are a lot of ways to do it. But I think light is how they work today.

EnergyBreakdown.jpg

Back