Opinion: What is the most underrated Estes LPR kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccolvin968

Reaction score
Do you have a favorite rocket that you get all spun up and excited about?
Just to have other people just kind of go... "eh... that's cool..."
I'm curious. Because I feel like mine is definitely the Supernova.
Probably my favorite LPR 2 stager.

I've wandered down the rabbit hole of vintage Estes rockets. I'm only 24 years old, so I've not seen or heard of all of these kits that some of you talk about.
Very cool stuff! I might have to get my hands on a couple. :)

Astron Cobra -- not the most underrated, but I do get a bit spun up about it. It was on the cover of the first Estes catalog I had -- the 1964. Never had one as a kid, but built one almost 10 years ago.

It will make its maiden flight at NSL 2017.

I also have all the parts ready, except fins, for a 2.6X upscale that will use three 24mm motors.
IMG_0127.JPG

I would have to say the Estes Viking. It is an old Centuri design that was transitioned over to Estes parts (BT-20 instead of ST-7, etc) and is, I feel, an excellent starter model as well as a kitbash dream. You can do a lot with that model just based on the fiber board fins (3, 4 or 5 fins, and you can put each fin on one of eight ways). Also, it has the heritage of also being the first Cub Scout rocket, as the Cub Scout version of the Centuri Viking was the Akela. Same rocket with just a different decal sheet. And another thing you can do with it is to convert it over to a version of the Centuri Vector V using a short length of BT-55 and a paper transition - I've attached my adaptation to Estes parts here as well.

I would call the kit underrated simply because a lot of people dismiss the model because of the fiber board fins. But I find them charming and quite easy to use.

View attachment vectorVE.pdf

Astron Cobra -- not the most underrated, but I do get a bit spun up about it. It was on the cover of the first Estes catalog I had -- the 1964. Never had one as a kid, but built one almost 10 years ago.

It will make its maiden flight at NSL 2017.

I also have all the parts ready, except fins, for a 2.6X upscale that will use three 24mm motors.
View attachment 319478

I could get behind the Cobra - its a neat model that disappeared at the dawn of the Damon era, so not a lot of people are familiar with it these days. I built a clone kit a couple years ago:

19332049785_5d8aec4895_z.jpg

I've also done an upscale - using 3" booster and (AT) 1.9" payload tubing. That makes the upscale about 1.8X:
27947574846_302e83b055_z.jpg

That flies on three 29mm motors (E16s boost it well). I'd have to question trying to loft a 2.6X upscale (4" or so?) on three 24mm motors...

For me, old time Blue Bird Zero. But I think a lot of people like that one too..

I did also love the old Century Hornet, which is now available thru Estes. love the pointy NC on the original..

I could get behind the Cobra - its a neat model that disappeared at the dawn of the Damon era, so not a lot of people are familiar with it these days. I built a clone kit a couple years ago:

[...]

I've also done an upscale - using 3" booster and (AT) 1.9" payload tubing. That makes the upscale about 1.8X:

[...]

That flies on three 29mm motors (E16s boost it well). I'd have to question trying to loft a 2.6X upscale (4" or so?) on three 24mm motors...

In reverse order - I meant 1.6X upscale (BT-80) for my upscale Cobra -- it will be 2.6" dia. :)

I'm taking a number of Estes 29mm to fly for the first time at NSL 2017. In addition to staging, I've thought about clustering them. I like the idea of a Cobra using 29mm BP.

The first one that jumped to mind for me was the old WAC Corporal.

k11_69.jpgk11_front1971.jpg46215061_22686076.jpg

18mm minimum diameter, cool pointy nosecone, scale(ish) and a simple but cool looking paint job; what's not to like? It seems like I always had at least one in the fleet when I was a kid. It also seemed like I was the only one who thought it was that cool!

That thing really performed too. Out of sight on a "B", out of your county on a "C"!

I have all the parts for a clone except for the really long launch lug. Seems to me it was four or five inches long. Any ideas where I might find one?

Mike

I happen to have a box of paper straws stashed away...erockets carries them in lengths up to 12".
Rex

Estes STM-012 is really cool, I have to agree with the op, the Super Nova is really cool, LPR two stage with clear payload... definitely going to be the next I buy.

Estes STM-012 is really cool, I have to agree with the op, the Super Nova is really cool, LPR two stage with clear payload... definitely going to be the next I buy.

I liked the one I got last year. Through the wall fins, and tube felt fairly sturdy for lpr.

I'm enjoying seeing the vintage kits on here!
Makes me want to splurge on one and build and fly it!

I happen to have a box of paper straws stashed away...erockets carries them in lengths up to 12".
Rex

Of course Rex, thanks. Must have been some kind of mental block on my part. Erockets has everything.

Order placed. One (or two) cloned Estes Wacs ccoming up...

I used some thin wall Al tubing when I built a bt55 upscale version. note if one uses 13mm motor mount you can generally get away with not needing additional nose weight...I would however suggest using a streamer.
Rex

My Surveyor is pretty awesome. Only made one appearance, in the 1991 catalog. Planning an upscale of it, some day, but splurging for five nose cones starts getting expensive when you get to HPR sizes.

Of course Rex, thanks. Must have been some kind of mental block on my part. Erockets has everything.

Order placed. One (or two) cloned Estes Wacs ccoming up...
Next launch ask around if anyone has spare tubes from AT igniters.

I'm gonna chime in with my own fave, the recent Estes Solar Warrior. It's just a beautiful rocket. There was a mild burst of builds a while ago, but it still feels like an also-ran in terms of mindshare. I don't ever get tired of looking at it.
Estes-Solar-Warrior.jpg

I'd say the Rogue Voyager. I love the look of it. I bet it isn't popular because it is not a great flyer - even with all the clay NC weight mine has had some unstable flights. It looks awesome on the shelf though.

I'm gonna chime in with my own fave, the recent Estes Solar Warrior. It's just a beautiful rocket. There was a mild burst of builds a while ago, but it still feels like an also-ran in terms of mindshare. I don't ever get tired of looking at it.
Estes-Solar-Warrior.jpg

I was surprised to find it dropped from the lineup. I love mine.

teros.jpg

I had the Estes Teros. It was easy to build, but that jet-looking nose cone gave it a snazzy look. Basic 4FNC, but read/white paint and nice set of decals really set it off the missile appearance. I flew the absolute snot out of mine for years. Something about that nose...it sounded louder than comparable models.

View attachment 320134

I had the Estes Teros. It was easy to build, but that jet-looking nose cone gave it a snazzy look. Basic 4FNC, but read/white paint and nice set of decals really set it off the missile appearance. I flew the absolute snot out of mine for years. Something about that nose...it sounded louder than comparable models.

And Moldin' Oldies has a resin version of the PNC-55D which I believe is the proper nose cone for the Teros.

I say the Estes Skyhook too. Mainly because it was my first ever rocket back in the 60's.

I have that nose cone, think I'll clone the Teros.

Clones are good. Upscales are better!

28627547001_4dc19a4277_b.jpg

And Moldin' Oldies has a resin version of the PNC-55D which I believe is the proper nose cone for the Teros.

The original used a BT50 tube, not 55. Balsa versions are available from eRockets in a few sizes, though the upscale shown above has a cone made by Sandman in BT70 size.

Back