Opinion: What is the most underrated Estes LPR kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clones are good. Upscales are better!

28627547001_4dc19a4277_b.jpg

The original used a BT50 tube, not 55. Balsa versions are available from eRockets in a few sizes, though the upscale shown above has a cone made by Sandman in BT70 size.

Wasn't the original Teros nose cone balsa? I thought it used the same nose cone as the Wolverine (Another very cool old Estes kit that you don't hear too much about anymore!).

Great looking rockets, by the way!

I think the original Teros cone was - when Teros was a Cold Power model. I don't know if it changed to plastic with the BP-powered version later on or not. Period catalog doesn't specify. But I do think that the Wolverine shared the same basic cone with a paper canopy on it.

I recently picked up an OOP Vector Force, a rocket I'd seen back when it was on clearance, but didn't think much of. Then I saw one at a launch and thought, actually, that looks kind of cool.

It's got three different diameter body tubes, balsa transitions and nose cone, and is a pretty decent sized LPR rocket. I wouldn't say it's a favorite, but it's cool enough, and I figured since it's out of production, and AC Supply had them cheap, I should get one. Nice looking kit to add to the fleet.

I've read several reviews of the Estes D.A.R.T. where people complain about the color scheme and ignore the fact that, design-wise, this is a sharp-looking, classic craft. It was one of my first builds and was always a dependable flyer. Years later I found the nose cone and worked up a clone.

The Dude. It gets no respect, but every time I haul mine out I get lots of oohs and aahs.

I've read several reviews of the Estes D.A.R.T. where people complain about the color scheme and ignore the fact that, design-wise, this is a sharp-looking, classic craft. It was one of my first builds and was always a dependable flyer. Years later I found the nose cone and worked up a clone.

Same NC as the SCUD, I think. Anybody have exact measurements?

Exact same nosecone. I believe there was one other model that utilized it as well.

So many cool rockets I've never seen or heard of before. Thanks to everyone who has shared!

We should use this thread as a basis for petitioning JumpJet for retro-classics to add to the model line, once they finally get the Starship Nova launched!

Wasn't the original Teros nose cone balsa? I thought it used the same nose cone as the Wolverine (Another very cool old Estes kit that you don't hear too much about anymore!).

Great looking rockets, by the way!

Yes, mine was balsa. I remember multiple coats of sanding sealer, and folding sandpaper into oddball little shapes to sand around the spike.

Some of my blast from the past kits. In many cases, I still have these and fly them.

My first rocket - the Sizzler

A little bit unique - the six finned Arrow

I still miss this one, even though I changed it a bit to fly on 24mm reloads: Phoenix

I have to throw in a vote for the Flutter-By. My son and I love this rocket and have lost several of them. It is my weather bird of choice at most of our launches and we will inevitably lose each one when my boy talks me into loadi g a C motor. When he said that he wished it was bigger, I had to oblige and upscale it to BT-80, it flies beautifully on Estes E motors.

Latest posts

Back