Nibiru-X, a Neil_w design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I found the camera, the kid did pretty good with it.

[video=youtube;WRKgOsUTeIg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRKgOsUTeIg[/video]

Let me back up a little,,

Looking good on the pad
neil's rocket 128.jpg

My biggest concern building this rocket was the rail going through the ring, as you can see it couldn't have worked out better.
neil's rocket 121.jpg

The flight on the G-76 went great, landed a little more then 200 feet from the pad Just missing a drainage ditch full of water.

jimmy.jpg

Meathead central;

As I'm cleaning my Aerotech case from the G76 flight, I'm talking with another club member about when she will be trying for her L1 cert.
She watched me put together the AT motor, now I'm telling her (really I'm bit*hing about how dirty its making my hands) that CTI motors are so much cleaner and easier to fly. I proceed to show her how CTI's go together,
meanwhile we're talking some about all the kids running around, one of which is her son. We had 35 or so scouts come to fly with our club Saturday. So I push the G-250 into the case and say that's it, all there is to CTI,,, easy, peasy, :wink:.
I got pulled away from my prep table for one reason or another club stuff what ever. I get back grab the NIBIRU- XNW and head out to the pads, WOO HOO!! filght #2, get her up on the pad, kids are cheering, they just saw a J motor go off.

My turn 5, 4, 3, 2, 1,,, gone!! The only pictures I got were of the smoke trial,, it hits apogee,, arches over,, then a light goes off in my head,, the AT G76 had a delay of 7 seconds,,, Oh NO,, I forgot to drill the CTI delay down from 14 to 7 SH*T!!!
Well let me tell you 14 seconds was just right for a 14 1/2 second flight,,,, the chute popped about 6 feet above the ground saving the rocket from disaster!!
when the camera pans back down, watch just above the head of the boy in black, you'll see the chute come out. :facepalm:

[video=youtube;MOHY1JawzUk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOHY1JawzUk[/video]

I love the soundtrack! ("Open up open up open ***) :)

So where did it sustain the fin damage, was it still moving fast when it impacted the ground (can't really tell from the video)?

The UGLY;

It broke about a half of an inch off the dorsal fin, that's it.
neil's rocket 120.jpg neil's rocket 126.jpg neil's rocket 125.jpg

fixed already :wink: my helper,,, I'm thinking about putting a raised pieces over the joint on each side.
neil's rocket 129.jpg neil's rocket 130.jpg neil's rocket 132.jpg

Here is a slow-mo version, watch kid in black just above his head @ 11 seconds

[video=youtube;c3RfcZcNVzM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3RfcZcNVzM[/video]

Still a great build Joe..
You'll get her fixed up
and back in the air again in no time...

Teddy

Joe,

It could have been a lot worse.

At least it wasn't painted yet.

What a cool build, hopefully I'll be there next lunch to see it fly again.

neil's rocket 135.jpg neil's rocket 136.jpg

Well she's all fixed up,, little more Bondo and sanding, then the 3rd coat of primer.
I have two of the paints here I'm going to use, sun yellow & poppy red. As for the black, I just might have to spend the coin and get some metallic black. :wink:

neil's rocket 137.jpg neil's rocket 140.jpg

Have I mentioned how much I DISLIKE PAINTING all the waiting around, guessing if its dry enough for the next layer, is it to humid, too hot, too cold. Did I over spray, will it drip, is it going to orange peel, :eyeroll: Oh! Brother!!!
So far;
a light coat of gray primer, some bondo some sanding, a coat of white primer, some bondo sanding, another coat of gray primer, I covered rocket well this time.
Now, a coat of flat white, a week from now I'll do the yellow parts.
neil's rocket 141-third coat paint.jpg

watching paint dry :eyeroll::puke::eyeroll:

Smokin build,, great repair Joe,,
wouldn't expect anything else man....

Teddy

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement
This is the color scheme I'm going for,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so far :wink:

Nibiru-X neil's rocketzzzzz.png

Okay, here's where we're at ,,,
I did some yellow and of course found some imperfections, I'm not going to agonize over them. I'm hoping that the other colors will help hide them.

neil's rocket 142.jpgneil's rocket 143.jpg

while I was waiting for the paint I started to fix my TALON-3 that zippered on me. I rolled up a few magazines wrapped with wax paper to fit in the BT poured in 30 minute epoxy.

talon fix-001.jpgtalon fix-003.jpgtalon fix-002.jpg

LOL I'm still thinking buying that Alsa spray paint :facepalm:

I got the red on tonight, looks good along side the yellow.

neil's rocket 144.jpg neil's rocket 147.jpg
neil's rocket 149.jpg neil's rocket 150.jpg

Last edited:
I'm happy with how these cones came out.

neil's rocket 151.jpg

I Just put the first coat of black on the main body of the rocket. Its really hot in my garage today, We'll see how it'll turn out.

Those raised pieces will look good, matching the pieces on the ring.
Ya know, that's a good point. Question is, (I have to ask, you know how there's one in every crowd. Ahh, but is there a crowd for every one?) ... what will that raised panel do to airflow across the fin and does it really make that big a difference on something this size?

To tell the truth, it doesn't matter to me if it causes drag.
It looks cool and it fly's,,,,, goes up and comes back down LOL :wink:

Neil its not gold, its rust-oleum's metallic aluminum

neil's rocket 155.jpg neil's rocket 157.jpg neil's rocket 154.jpg neil's rocket 158.jpg neil's rocket 159.jpg

Just have to clear coat and she's done, can't afford vinyl for her right now.

Back