Nibiru-X, a Neil_w design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, you're on your own with that. I mostly like the scheme I put into the OR file (mainly the decal design in the rear) but it was a fairly quick effort and has plenty of room for improvement. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I wish I had someone around to design my paint schemes for me. That'd save me some grief on my scratch builds. (note to self: new product idea "Shrox-in-a-box").

How about some nose cone pictures :wink:

Need to fill in some saw marks and core out for the attachment point and weight for balance if need be.

neilsrocketnosecone.jpgneilsrocketnoseconex.jpgneilsrocketnoseconey.jpgneilsrocketnoseconez.jpg

Okay, so, I've done the ring, well, two 1/4s and one 1/2 of a ring. It was a bit of a PITA for filets. I'm not sure about the belly ring, its bigger then I thought, but does fit with the rest of the rocket.
We'll see how well it holds up on "F" motors :dark: I should of done something different with it. idk,,

neilsrocket104.jpg neil's rocket 059.jpg neil's rocket 062.jpg neil's rocket 063.jpg

You know this is my first build thread,, this is just as much work as the rocket. (maybe more) so far I'm up to 121 pictures of this rocket. A few hours trying to write descriptive text and not sound too much like the idiot I am.

So how about some more pictures. (you know their worth 1000 words)

The rectangular decals on the ring, I changed that to a raised element of the ring. I know its adding drag but I didn't care about performance, as long it goes up and comes back down in one piece.
The first one shows the curved pieces for gluing. I soaked them over night in water then taped them to the same coffee can I used for the ring. I Let them dry over night then put them on the stove (still taped to the can) while the wife had the over on. Next is a dry fit to line them up, I drew a few lines on the ring but the pieces came out a tad smaller then my layout.
The next three are of her getting a light coat of primer, I do this to show all the missed fillets and what ever else needs touch up.

I don't know if you can tell by the pictures, but those raised pieces really makes the ring pop and with some color it should really look fantastic.

20170512_000236.jpg 20170511_214914.jpg neil's rocket 094.jpg neil's rocket 095.jpg neil's rocket 096.jpg

Unbelievable build Joe...
I'm sorry the build thread is so much trouble,,
but I sure am glad you're doin it.....

Teddy

The rectangular decals on the ring, I changed that to a raised element of the ring.

I don't know if you can tell by the pictures, but those raised pieces really makes the ring pop and with some color it should really look fantastic.

Agreed - they really add to the design!

So here she is,,

what do you guys think?

of course she needs a paint job

I think she is FANTASTIC

View attachment 320102

10" wing span
43ish" long
610 grams

SO FAR!

Oh Sorry,,,

B.jpg

I can't decide on a font,,, I'm liking #3

neil's rocket text 001.jpg

Nice work! Those tail cones are a pretty cool idea that I may have to steal/adapt. I think this came out beautifully. I've got to say, i've been looking at pictures of progress more than reading posts, and had imagined that you were heading to a 3X cluster instead. Could/Would you mod it to be 'optional' and have the tail cones removable?

Regarding fonts, I like #3 so long as you don't mind nobody being able to read it easily, or maybe#5. I'll point out (only because you might not have noticed, and may care, not because I'm offended or nothin') but font #1, the X is pretty clearly a Hindu-style swastika. There's no reason for it to be a problem, but every so often I run into overly sensitive / PC folks. Not so much as rocket launches admittedly. All you rocket folks are pretty well grounded...unless you're flying, of course.

MCriscione I don't know 3- 29mm motors?? I'd never see it again LOL.
Seems i'm liking #2 also, OH, what to do, what to do,,,

MCriscione I don't know 3- 29mm motors?? I'd never see it again LOL.
Seems i'm liking #2 also, OH, what to do, what to do,,,

Agreed, 3X 29mm would be a bit much. I think it was just too late last night. :facepalm: It wouldn't have worked anyway, as I see now that the fins passing through those tubes would have precluded inserting a motor anyway. No, I figured the 'pods' would get 18mm mounts inserted, and the 29mm tube could be adapted down to 24 when flying as a cluster. Pretty sure this was all just late-at-night brain spouting nonsense. Great work either way, can't wait to see the paint job!

Looks awesome!!! Can't wait to see it in paint.

I can't decide on a font,,, I'm liking #3
View attachment 320154

As mentioned, #3 is pretty much unreadable, which could be OK if you're going for an alien vibe. I like #5 best probably followed by #6. #1 is the only one of the group that I really don't like.

On man. Your #2 looks like my #2....hey, wait a minute! uh....

Ha ha, you're right.

OH MY GOD, YOU'RE RIGHT (backs away slowly...)

#2 stands out to me as fitting the rocket the best.

I wonder what sound it will make on the way up? I'm thinking those unique pod cones might whistle.

Well the fillets are DONE all 10 feet or so of them. A couple look to be not drying too well, so since its going to be HOT today I'm thinking front seat of the truck.
Now just have too figure out the paint scheme, boy do I hate painting rockets! I just never seem to get it right, the way I envision it.
I added coupler pieces to the pod ends, for the look of a thicker bt.

neilsrocket106.jpg and a shot of fillets neilsrocket107.jpg

I find I can get the rocket to look like how I want, to within a reasonable margin, but it costs me much suffering along the way. I get satisfaction from the final result, but not so much from the process of painting (as compared with construction). I wish I could snap my fingers and have it done.

But that thing is gonna look great no matter what you do with it. :)

Thank you Neil,
Yeah I feel the same way. what gets me is the waiting, seems you mask for hours, then find something isn't right, so mask for hours again.
Only to find you painted the wrong color in that spot or you drop the rocket in the saw dust pile you were suppose to have cleaned up last week! AARRR!!
NO lie, I've done it!! LOL

NOW what about this rocket?
View attachment 320246 View attachment 320247

This looks like a challenge!!
2x's 24mm motor,,, can you say CTI 6 gran ?? OH, wait I only have one of those cases SH*T, LOL

no really, twin 24mm with a ducted system to blow the cone. like, what was it called, trident?

you know, I think I'll try her out this Saturday, no paint.
Unless it rains Friday, that mud a our launch site is a BIT*H to get off.

I'll try and get video to post. Thanks Ted :wink:

Meanwhile, back at the lab,,,

Final name, font and maybe color. I'll see what stickershock has/can do, I'd like to have it a blend of the red and yellow like the bird.

nibiru-xnw.jpg

What a GREAT DAY it was for rockets!! (once the rain stopped :wink:)

We have some;
good news, (not fake)

the latest from meathead central, (I CAN'T believe I didn't,,,,,,,,,)

some ugly news,

The Good AT G-76
neil's rocket 114.jpgneil's rocket 113.jpgneil's rocket 112.jpgneil's rocket 111.jpgneil's rocket 110.jpgneil's rocket 119.jpg

Absolutely a BEAUTIFUL maiden flight, nice and straight, no whistle though. Thrust Curve app sims show G-76 to get her 856 feet, I believe she got every bit of that and some more.
I took these photo's with my phone, I asked my daughter's boy friend to video it for me with a camera. I haven't seen it yet, not sure where the camera got packed. (I'll look for it in the morning.)

Back